Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:50:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What were most buttons made of?  (Read 791 times)

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
What were most buttons made of?
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:47:28 AM »
As long as I've been painting old west stuff I still debate what color to make buttons now & then. I know you had the fancy uniform brass buttons and the like but what was say the buttons on an average shirt made from? Metal? Wood?
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: What were most buttons made of?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 05:26:40 AM »
Bone or wood for the most part I reckon.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 05:32:28 AM »
In the UK brass, mother of pearl and glass were popular (but expensive). Pasteboard covered in cloth were common for the less well-off, Charles Dickens wrote an article about a new automated machine for making these in the 1850s. Earlier many people had cast their own in a button-moulder using lead or pewter, so poorer or country families may have still been doing that.

I assume it was the same in America.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 03:33:39 PM »
Much as sunjester said.

There is a local ghost town that went bust in the late 1860s. Several stores were abandoned with everything still on the shelves and the state now operates it as a living museum. From what I have noticed in browsing over the clothing selection, the cloth buttons were for women's wear or men's suits. Men's work clothing tended towards bone or other hard buttons, the metals ones were mostly lacquered.

In the end, paint most buttons on men's wear black or dark brown and you should be fairly accurate.

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »
Undergarments or outer garments?  Dress or work shirts?  Metal four-hole buttons with paperboard backing were common for both.  Undergarment buttons could be bone, wood, glass, tin, celluloid, nacre, or hard rubber.  Outer garment buttons were typically the same materials as well.  The ones supposed to be visible would be larger and more decorative, while the ones not supposed to be visible would be simple and utilitarian.  Buttons for dresses and formal coats would usually be colorful and decorative.  A cowboy's shirt button would usually be something cheap like small tin or bone, and would be bare metal or unpainted bone.  A cowboy's jacket would have large bone, metal, wood, or hard rubber, and if not specially decorative would be brown or black, or bare metal.