Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:50:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690507
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vallejo Prussian Blue.  (Read 495 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Vallejo Prussian Blue.
« on: April 23, 2024, 09:05:37 AM »
Very weird stuff, or I've got a dodgy bottle? Black/blue's a very strong and powerful colour. Yet this stuff goes on like a wash, then dries gloss. No amount of mixing makes any difference. Worse bit, even after 24 hours, it lifts when varnished.
One off dodgy bottle, or a crap product?
 ???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Vallejo Prussian Blue.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 09:16:24 AM »
I have a bottle of that that I've never had problems with it, so it does sound like you got a bad 'un :(

You could try dropping a stainless steel ball bearing in the bottle, in case the pigment is stuck on the bottom.

I have had mixed success with vortex mixers, eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Control-Agitator-Shaking-Blender-Laboratory/dp/B092CXYWZW/ref=sr_1_5, but that could be overkill. As much as they're useful, the vibrations really don't settle my hands for the upcoming painting session ;D

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 09:34:15 AM »
Vallejo is notoriously difficult to mix, even with the most vigorous shaking. The ball bearing is a decent shout, but I'd pull the dropper off and get the end of a paintbrush down there for a really good churn, then put it back on and shake again. This is why I like to buy Vallejo for the price and quality of the paint, but then decant them into paint pots with lids for use.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 10:51:24 AM »
Thanks chaps, sounds like I've  got a wrong 'un!
There's two or three stainless steel bbs rattling around in the bottle, doing bugger all!
 :'(

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 10:57:35 AM »
I've had the odd dodgy bottle (assorted colours) over the years - bin it and get a replacement; life's too short to muck around woth something that costs 3 quid.

As an aside, I store Vallejo upside down, allow them to settle, and then just use the pigment. Need to thin more but no need to spend time shaking.

Offline Dubar

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 01:14:58 PM »
I hate it when that happens!  ;D

I've been using a fingernail polish shaker I got off Amazon to mix mine up but still have to handshake and sometimes stir with a stick to get some of the Vallejo paints mixed.  Just make sure the top insert and the top are on tight before giving them a spin, I had the screw-on top come off 1 bottle while in the fingernail polish machine but at least the insert stayed put.  I think those inserts with the small hole keep the paint from drying up so fast.

I think I have close to 60 bottles now and so far none have been dried up.  When I first got into this I mistakenly bought a couple of bottles of their paint for use in an airbrush, that stuff is watery thin for brush use.
The crow flies at midnight

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 03:43:41 PM »
I've found that, especially with the Model Color range, certain Vallejo colours separate quite quickly.  I've got several darker blue and green colours that do exactly the same as you described.

I tend to soldier on and apply a matt varnish after I use one of those colours and that works. But also they're mostly colours I can easily mix up with more compliant paints, so it's rare I use them straight.

As for separation; their oranges in particular are pretty horrible, just like the yellows... ::)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 03:49:15 PM »
Either a bad bottle or simply a very old stock bottle.  While I don't have issues with most Vallejo myself, I do add shakers and every year or two I'll add a little medium/water to the bottles to try to keep them hydrated enough, etc.

Occasionally I find myself thinking "Ugh, this beige is too thick..." then realize I've had the bottle for 12 years... lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM »
I dug up my old bottle of that color and it seems fine and I haven't really had any problems with them requiring excessive shaking, but then, I'm used to Scale75 paints and they require A LOT of shaking lol.

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2024, 06:54:40 PM »
Blues drying with a glossy sheen is not unusual in my experience.  I think it’s the nature of the pigment, bit like reds being semi transparent.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 07:03:50 PM »

As an aside, I store Vallejo upside down, allow them to settle, and then just use the pigment. Need to thin more but no need to spend time shaking.

Same here