Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:55:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Need help with photography  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Need help with photography
« on: July 02, 2017, 06:47:09 AM »
I know this can sound kind of stupid, but can anyone point me to some website/youtube channel/whatever that gives advice how to photograph miniature soldiers and such? I have tried and can't take a good picture of my minis even if my life depends on it!

Of course, I can be beyond help and my skills with a camera won't improve regardless what advice I follow, but I must try!

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
Re: Need help with photography
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 07:09:39 AM »
There was an article in Wargames illustrated that explained the 'basic technicalities' (don't know the exact issue, I think it was published during the last two years, maybe someone else know it offhand) that I found quite good.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »
I've struggled with this myself, and have recently made a breakthrough - getting a better camera.

There are lots of articles here and on the net about taking miniature photos, but a good camera will make things a hell of a lot easier.

HOWEVER you don't have to spend too much. For a while I was thinking I was gonna have to spend £400+.....

But then I found this on Amazon for £140.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Coolpix-L340-Camera-Optical/dp/B00THKEKEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1498981100&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+coolpix

It's made a huge difference. In fact I pretty much just point and click on the default settings.

So if you're using a cheap pocket camera or your phone, and are reluctant to spend a lot of money on a 'proper' camera.... This is a solution that will get great quality photos without spending a fortune!

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »
I have a good camera , but I find my I Pad takes a better picture.

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:43:47 AM »
I found the GW one interesting. Can't work out how to post a link but if you Google games workshop photography the first result is a warhammer community article which may help.
John

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 01:57:08 PM »
Tripod, macro setting, timer.

That's pretty much what I use/do. Lighting ... well, so long as it's fairly light in the room the pics seem fine. I've tried using a proper lighting box but it bleaches the colour out and gives odd effects.

I take three pics from about 12-18 inches away that look okay on the camera (because very often some are a little blurred when downloaded and enlarged on the computer screen). Then I fiddle with the pic on the computer a little, cropping it nicely, re-adjusting the size (600 on its shortest side) and using 'auto settings' to take care of the brightness, contrast and colour balance for me.

I do think it's a case of finding what works for you. There's a host of very good advice that is honest advice based on what someone else has found, or wants, but may not fit your own requirements.

But, if it's a link you want, this is the first one that came up on Google -
http://www.twfigurines.de/main/workshop/photos.htm
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 02:19:20 PM »
Tripod, macro setting, timer.

and White Balance.

I've used Canon Powershot A70 for over 10 years, I'm on my third one, always buy from ebay and don't pay more than£20.
They're easy peasy lemon squeezy and idiot proof otherwise I wouldn't use them.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.