Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:26:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Test of Honour  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Test of Honour
« on: July 02, 2017, 08:29:24 AM »
Two of the members put on a ToH game at the club last Saturday.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:28:29 PM by Belisarius »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: Test of Honour
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Ummm....(typed standing on head).
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
If at first you d,ont succeed , suck , suck , suck again .....
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:37:27 PM by Belisarius »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 01:30:39 AM »
If at first you don't succeed , suck , suck , suck again .....

...as the bishop said to the actress.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 10:56:25 PM »
looks great. I read the rules the other night (had them downloaded for months...) and realise that the game actually sounds like fun to play which is rare for me and have picked up the starter box!
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »
Really cool rules, and overall great value.  I bought the starter for my brithday (yes, I have to make my own birthday presents, I don't know if I should laugh or cry  ;D), and I was so positively suprised that I bought the entire range actually available.

Now, a few inches added for the mountain of unpainted minis  lol

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 12:41:49 AM »
Really cool rules, and overall great value.  I bought the starter for my brithday (yes, I have to make my own birthday presents, I don't know if I should laugh or cry  ;D), and I was so positively suprised that I bought the entire range actually available.

Now, a few inches added for the mountain of unpainted minis  lol

Mine was a present to myself for graduating (if i keep saying it about all the things i buy then it doesn't seem so bad!)
it's the first game starter box that i have bought because the rules sold me on the game and not the minis, so kudos to warlord!

Can i ask what you feel is the smallest size this game can be played at? he rules say between 5 and 20 minis, but does 5 elite samurai actually give a good game without the soldiers?

Online wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »
Hi
could you guys tell me if there is any way of getting the cards and all the other stuff for the rules withoujt buying the stater pack. I have a ton of  Samurai and really dont need any more.

William

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 12:50:58 PM »
Hi
could you guys tell me if there is any way of getting the cards and all the other stuff for the rules withoujt buying the stater pack. I have a ton of  Samurai and really dont need any more.

William

I asked the and thing and unless you know someone that's getting rid of them then the answer is no sadly.

Online wkeyser

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 08:40:39 AM »
Well that is very disapointing, I guess I will stay with ronin.  I hate the idea of this type of game, you have to buy into it all if you want the rules or figures etc. Forcing the gamer to buy the figures to get the rules is just not the way to get me to support your figure company.

William

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:57 AM »
Gentlemen, on the Warlord site , the rules can be downloaded free and the cards are £10 . The tokens are available for £15 , I think , although you could consider making your own. Not a huge outlay , surely.

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
Gentlemen, on the Warlord site , the rules can be downloaded free and the cards are £10 . The tokens are available for £15 , I think , although you could consider making your own. Not a huge outlay , surely.

That's incorrect. You have to purchase the various box sets to get the faction cards, as well as the main box set to get the campaign rules and basic cards.

I am with wkeyser, not interested in a game that forces you to buy all the expansions, particularly as you end up with a pile of the very mediocre Wargames Factory figures.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
Personaly (and that's just that, my personaly feeling) I think it's very rude to speak of "very mediocre"  miniatures. I've been very pleased with the figures, personaly. I don't think there is so much better japanese sengoku figures out there. And as I'm used to good quality plastic sets (warlord, GW, Valiant, Perry), I don't think they are so badly ranked too.

edit : by the way, I think ToH has to be seen as a great medium to bring new/fantasy people to (fun/hollywood) historical gaming, the fact the game material belongs to the sets can be annoying for gaming veterans, but for someone who never played medieval japan, it's not a problem at all (it's probably the opposite). And it's a good way to collect nice minis to play any other ruleset available too (like ronin, for instance).

Just my personaly thoughts, not an objective fact, as I said ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:13:53 PM by sundayhero »

Offline craigjwoodfield

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 09:25:32 PM »
Good thing I didn't say they're utter crap then!

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 11:59:06 PM »
For those commenting on things, despite the issues the old WGF minis have, they are one of the nicer kits to find great bits and pieces along with massive amounts of conversion fodder.