Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689754
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: US Doughboy Help ! more pic.!!  (Read 8828 times)

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
US Doughboy Help ! more pic.!!
« on: March 22, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
Hi All
I stard my TaT Us Army for ww1 in the next two weeks but I allready need some informations 
so my first question is
Are these Books a good stard for some background knowledge ?
Did someone have these books ?

osprey
The US Army of World War I (Men-At-Arms Osprey)    
Us Doughboy 1916-19 (Warrior)

next question and very important !!(I think I ask that again ?!?)
Have someone painted Us ww1 Figures and wich color do you use ?
best where from Vallejo colors for me (Number and Name )

Thanks a lot for your help

Grimm
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 01:48:09 PM by Grimm »
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: US Doughboy Help !
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
Hi Grimm,

I've the books, but I've not started painting the remainder of my US forces. I also use my Men @ Arms "US Marine Corps in WW1 1917-1918" in addition. Why? because they are a number of plates in the US Army uniforms an it shows a better hue for colour.

There is certainly a contrast in colours from both books based on the artist intpretation. Myself, I'd go for  the Men @ Arms title as this is closer in my mind to the US Army colours alongside the marine title.

Colours I've work with as an example:

I personally find VMC Military green (70925) or Russian Green (70894) far better than Reflective green (70890) and please don't ask me why.

German Cam Medium Brown (70826), Yellow Green (70881), Khaki (70988), Dark Sand (70847), Tan Yellow (70912), Russian Uniform (70924), GW Graveyeard Earth, Khaki Grey (70880) and German C Beige[70821 (mixed)] for webbing (more on the former).

Looking at all my various references an illustrators, not two are alike with their coloured illustrations.

For my US Marines in AEF uniform I'm going for a mix of colours as stated above.

I'm sorry, I can not be of more assistance until I start painting this area in question; however Mike H from Musketeer miniatures fame provided me with a link to a colour convertor:

http://colors.silicon-dragons.com/full_line.php

Good luck and keep us posted.

Helen
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:25:35 AM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:19:57 AM »
Helen -

Don't suppose you'd have a guess at how the Harlem Hellfighters might vary? I suspect the helmet would be dark green. Would anything else differ in color from the standard kit?

-Doc

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:39:44 AM »
Helen -

Don't suppose you'd have a guess at how the Harlem Hellfighters might vary? I suspect the helmet would be dark green. Would anything else differ in color from the standard kit?

-Doc

Hi Doc,

Thanks, I'm no expert on this really. The books I've show these guys both in Adrian and Dishpan helmets, but in the olive green outfits. The Adrian was supposely used in training and followed up by the Dishpan for combat, but I'd go with both especiialy if you are using Brigade Games which incidently, needs soem additional codes.

Looking at the uniform, I'd look at Russian Green, followed by this colour plus more Russian uniform. I'd then use Russian uniform plus a Tan colour, Iraqi sand or Dark Sand. One VMC that I've been using on my Turks is Green Ochre with English uniform an I think this may work in with the other greens as a shade colour.

When I get through some of my painting stack I'll give it a try on my US Marines in AEF uniform.

Helen
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 05:04:00 AM by Helen Bachaus »

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:43:48 AM »
Helen -

-Doc

Obviously not Helen, but I think I can help.  :D  The 369th, under French command, was issued Adrian helmets and French equipment, worn over American uniform.  The helmets were apparently dull blue-gray with a brown leather chinstrap.  Cartridge pouches, belts and bayonet frog were brown leather, haversack is light brown cloth, water bottle is covered in horizon blue cloth with enamelled mug and the gasmask canister is painted khaki.  The US uniform tended towards a browner shade of olive drab.  Leggings were canvas-coloured and boots were brown leather.  The rifles should be Berthiers.

A good reference to look out for is 'World War I Infantry in Colour Photographs' by Laurent Mirouze.  It's 'Europa Militaria N°3' from Windrow & Greene Publishing.  ISBN 1-872004-25-3
Why take Life seriously? You'll never get out of it alive!

Offline Grimm

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »
thank you all you will see the figures soon  :D :-*

Cheers Grimm

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »
Helen -

-Doc

Thanks much, Archangel. That's a huge help.

Perhaps, being Canadian, you can help me with one other question.

I've often seen a series of photographs identified as Black Canadian troops. Any idea who these guys might be? On that note, why don't I see photos of Black Canadian troops in WW2?

-Doc

Obviously not Helen, but I think I can help.  :D  The 369th, under French command, was issued Adrian helmets and French equipment, worn over American uniform.  The helmets were apparently dull blue-gray with a brown leather chinstrap.  Cartridge pouches, belts and bayonet frog were brown leather, haversack is light brown cloth, water bottle is covered in horizon blue cloth with enamelled mug and the gasmask canister is painted khaki.  The US uniform tended towards a browner shade of olive drab.  Leggings were canvas-coloured and boots were brown leather.  The rifles should be Berthiers.

A good reference to look out for is 'World War I Infantry in Colour Photographs' by Laurent Mirouze.  It's 'Europa Militaria N°3' from Windrow & Greene Publishing.  ISBN 1-872004-25-3

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 10:14:34 PM »
Grimm,

Check your email.  Let me know if you get it.

Mike

Edit - Sorry, wrong Grimm!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 02:38:57 AM by archangel1 »

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »

Wasn’t the Canadian infantry mixed regiments? (black and white serving in the same units?)

Offline archangel1

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 10:32:24 PM »

Wasn’t the Canadian infantry mixed regiments? (black and white serving in the same units?)

I think you're right.  What little I found online, in a brief look, seems to indicate that, once they were finally 'allowed' (nice, huh?  ::) ) to enlist, they fought alongside white soldiers, rather than being segregated.  It's a pity there isn't more information available.  It could be a fascinating story.

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 02:48:20 AM »
Helen -

-Doc

Hi Doc,

Thanks, I'm no expert on this really. The books I've show these guys both in Adrian and Dishpan helmets, but in the olive green outfits. The Adrian was supposely used in training and followed up by the Dishpan for combat, but I'd go with both especiialy if you are using Brigade Games which incidently, needs soem additional codes.

Looking at the uniform, I'd look at Russian Green, followed by this colour plus more Russian uniform. I'd then use Russian uniform plus a Tan colour, Iraqi sand or Dark Sand. One VMC that I've been using on my Turks is Green Ochre with English uniform an I think this may work in with the other greens as a shade colour.

When I get through some of my painting stack I'll give it a try on my US Marines in AEF uniform.

Helen

Wow, Helen. I don't know how I missed this reply. But a much belated thank you. I'm grateful! Thinking about doing up some of the 370th infantry for "Through the Mud and Blood".

-Doc

Offline Grimm

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: US Doughboy Help ! pic. edit
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 03:14:01 PM »
OK here is my first try
is that ok or i I fail to use the right colors ?
(I still waiting for my osbry book )

Grimm

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: US Doughboy Help ! edit pic.
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 03:52:28 PM »
Grimm, old chum, you have got the colours totally wrong. I was just doing some research and found this picture of a doughboy. Seems they wore all-white uniforms, though some units had red-and-white-checked gloves:

lol Just kidding! Superb job there, as always.

As far as the colours really go, I couldn't say. My books show a wide variation between a very green kind of khaki (like you have painted), right through to one almost the colour of sand. It seems like with most armies, there was a lot of variation (or all the books are wrong).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:00:24 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: US Doughboy Help ! edit pic.
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 04:34:15 PM »
I think that you choose the right colors. The figure on the left look like the one I painted. I’m not 100% sure but I think that the Marines uniforms where greener and the Army uniforms had a more "brownish" shade.

@ Plynkes, I would love to see a wargame table with a unit of these white clad chaps one day!  lol
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 10:48:47 PM by Calimero »