Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:32:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689758
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Boxer Figures and Buildings Available! Now with link to period photos. 9/24/17  (Read 2756 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
This posted earlier today:

"We are pleased to inform you that the Boxer Rebellion Range is now on both the bluemoonmanufacturing.com as well as the oldglory25s.com web sites ready to order. We have a large range of Legation buildings for you so we would like to offer our customers a Special Deal. If you bought all 5 of the Legations, 15BMB-100 through 15BMB-104 they would cost you $975.00 USD. In our Legation Deal if you are not an Old Glory Army Member and purchase all 5 Legations, we will sell them to you for $700.00 USD. Please note in the comment section that you are doing the Legation Deal and we will adjust the total to reflect the deal before we run your credit card. If you are an Old Glory Army Member and purchase all 5 Legations we will sell them to you for $500.00 USD. Please also note in the comment section that you are doing the Legation Deal and that you are an Old Glory Army Member and your membership number if possible. Since the OG Army Member special price is lower than your normal discount we will adjust the total appropriately for you before we run your credit card. If you have any questions please contact either Connie at oldglory@cvzoom.net or Teresa at oldgloryshipyard@gmail.com"

Here is the link: http://www.oldglory25s.com/index.php?cat_id=1199&catname='Boxer%20Rebellion'

That takes you to the page with three links - Chinese figures, buildings, and Europeans.  Not sure if there will be additional figures in the range or not but hoping so.  Definitely need civilians and perhaps some other European figures for fights away from the Legations.

edit - And an update already on additional figure packs:

"Here is the current list for the Boxer Rebellion Line – this is what we are committed to creating – other codes could be added later.

THE GREAT POWERS
15BRL-100 U.S. Marines with Command
15BRL-101 British Royal Marines light infantry with command
15BRL-102 German Sea Battalion with command
15BRL-103 Russian infantry with command
15BRL-104 Japanese infantry with command
15BRL-105 French sailors with command
15BRL-106 French marines with command
15BRL-107 Passive civilians
15BRL-108 Fighting civilians
15BRL-109 Naval artillery crews
15BRL-110 Russian Cossacks with command
15BRL-111 Dismounted Cossack guards with fur caps
15BRL-112 Japanese cavalry with command
15BRL-113 Russian artillery crews
15BRL-114 Japanese artillery crews
15BRL-115 Italian sailors with command
15BRL-116 Austrian sailors with command
15BRL-117 Italian Bersaglieri with command
15BRL-118 Great Power personalities
15BRL-119 Fighting parsons with Nordenfelt gun
15BRL-120 International gun with crew

CHINESE FORCES

15BRC-100 Boxer command
15BRC-101 Boxers with swords
15BRC-102 Boxers with pole arms
15BRC-103 Boxers with rifles
15BRC-104 Chinese regulars advancing with command
15BRC-105 Chinese regulars skirmishing with command
15BRC-106 Chinese artillery crews
15BRC-107 Tartar Calvary with command
15BRC-108 Dead Boxers
15BRC-109 Wounded Boxers
15BRC-110 Tigermen attacking
15BRC-111 Red Lanterns
15BRC-112 Chinese passive civilians
15BRC-113 Chinese with wall guns"

Really looking forward to seeing the 'passive civilians', both sets, the tigermen, and the red lanterns.

Oh, for those not in the know, this is in 15/18mm from Blue Moon and Old Glory 25s.  Even with the special deal, I'm already over $1,000 US and still counting upwards.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:50:18 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Boxer Figures and Buildings Available!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:37:16 PM »
Pulled the trigger and ordered the Legation Deal plus one more building and one or more of ALL of the figure packs.  I will have, slightly stylized to match 12 figure units, all of the figures for all of the national legations plus most of the civilian fighting forces within the legations - not doing the carving knife brigade per se because it wasn't all that effective apparently.  Also ordered plenty of civilians for the fighters to protect.  Having a bunch of figures already meant ordering less - for now.

Ordered less Chinese than I might, in part because I own a bunch already, but mostly because I can use the casualty figures to 'double up' my Chinese forces.  One faux-pas in the release pointed out on TMP, the Regulars released are the ones that didn't do much fighting but I ordered some anyway.  There's always those hypothetical scenarios.  Hopefully, later, Old Glory will release more appropriate Chinese regulars.  Though maybe the figures already released might be pressed into duty - if so, will order more once the budget recovers.

And for those wanting to do French Indo-China, the French Marines will work very nicely.

For those who care, my legation forces break down like this:

United States 72
Austrians 36
British 96
French 48
Italians 36 (but some Bersaglieri, too, sampled for planning purposes for relief forces yet to be built, designed)
Japanese 36
Russians 84
Germans 72

The armed civilians will be 72 - all in units of twelve figures with command in each unit.  And, now, with Old Glory's spectacular release, some high command, too.  Also ordered some cavalry, again for those relief forces yet to come.

Once the budget recovers, I'll be ordering a LOT more buildings!

Dollars-wise, this is my largest order in over 30 years in the hobby.   :o Good thing I have a milestone birthday a couple months out to point at to keep the wife in check!  lol

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:58:21 PM »
Terrific, a range not only for the legations but also the relief expedition(s).

Now, the UK Old Glory site has a holding page but no listing yet, wonder when they'll be available over here...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »
I do hope you'll share some photos and battle reports when you're done, FifteensAway. You've been a tireless campaigner for your scale for a good few years. But a picture is worth a thousand words and I think you'd probably pick up more converts if we actually got to see what the scale can do in action a bit more often. It's a great scale for the big battles (personally I think it's hard to beat for things like the Crimean War, for which it is my scale of choice) and it would be great if more folks showed it off here.

Don't let us who are more fond of the big boys hog all the glory!

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 09:46:26 PM »
Will be lovely to see your painted collection and game reports when its time.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:53:25 PM »
Alas, Plynkes, I've yet to use a photo hosting service and the timely related photo hosting brouhaha isn't causing me much desire to travel that road just now.  Howsoever, I do blog and post plenty of photos there when suitable progress is made.  

My challenge is time.  An elderly mother with dementia needing care sucks prodigious amounts of time away from hobby activities.  An extreme maintenance wife does the same (though she tolerates my gaming, even the above mentioned expensive hobby purchase).  

But I do make progress on my many periods, 14 is it?  Just not as fast as I'd like.  Boxers, while top of the line for purchasing, are not so high in painting priorities - behind AWI (first, sort of), Old West, and only then Colonials but those three don't account for finishing off the FIW or the Pirates (including a star fort being modified).  My salvation is this purchase and its later companion purchases of additional buildings and figures is my last significant purchase.  Oh, there will be a few things added from time to time but not much in comparison.  And I've prepped and primed about 2,000 or more figures the last few months so progress is being made.

And while a stalwart proponent of 15 mm, I do hope my jibes about the "steroidal" scales are taken in good humor for, I assure you, my tongue is firmly in cheek when doing so.

No painting today, the order was my hobby time - and this posting I guess.  Priority is Independence Day.  (Hmm, I wonder how the average Briton views this day?  With rue, perhaps?   ;)  )

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 10:34:30 PM »
If you have photos on your blog, you can probably display them here (unless it blocks you from 3rd-party linking). Or you could just throw us a link to your blog, but only if you want to. Sounds like you have a lot of interesting stuff going on.

I think the average Briton is only vaguely aware of the 4th of July (and the slightly-below-average Briton not aware of it at all), and I don't think anybody is ruing anything unless they are over 200 years old! Apart from maybe North Korea, Iran and ISIS, most of the rest of the world has better things to do than sitting around nursing grudges about you guys, nor do we closely keep track of your holidays.  I remember once there was a poster on TMP who asked "How do you guys in the rest of the world celebrate the 4th of July?" I'm fairly sure he was serious, which if true is hilarious. :)

I noticed it today because I had an American customer at work who couldn't transfer funds because he said the credit union would be shut all day. Grrr! I need to get paid, man! (shakes fist at Founding Fathers)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 07:05:00 AM »
I kinda always assumed everyone celebrates the 4th of July?   ;)

My Mom's birthday, BTW.  In Mexico, where she is from, they always had a sizeable 4th Celebration in the lomas where she lived. 
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 02:17:02 AM »
On the subject of 'rue', I'm wondering why Old Glory has yet to include the German Legation buildings?  Maybe the 'open' legation will be the German one?  Hopefully.  Seems an odd exception since the Germans had the fourth largest force, right behind the Americans - who were behind the Russians who were behind the British.  But everyone was behind the armed civilian totals.  Not sure that counts, though. 

A few other desires: Russian sailors in shirtsleeve order and more of the troops for the relief expeditions.  For those who know the period, what else is missing?  I'm wondering about the American infantry (non-Marines) and the German sailors, too. Maybe some of the other sailors will work for the German ones but I don't think for the Russians because they didn't have the draping color in shirtsleeve order.

Don't get me wrong, I love what's been released.  Just thinking forward for what else might be needed.

Oh, for sure a train.  And maybe some sort of modular cathedral with a central structure and optional bits like flying buttresses, something that can be a mini-version of the Peitang or even Norte Dame (for those gorgeous Musketeer figures from Old Glory 25s in 15/18 mm). 

Really looking forward to seeing the armed and, especially, the unarmed civilians.  I'm betting a lot of pulp gamers will be pleased - and maybe I can add some Chinese to my Old West gaming (add more, I should say).  Russ, if you're paying attention, my requests getting fulfilled mean more of my money in your pocket.   ;)

Well, heading back to look over the lists some more.  Even before I've received my first order, I'm already planning my next order from this range!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 03:15:24 AM »
On the subject of 'rue', I'm wondering why Old Glory has yet to include the German Legation buildings?  Maybe the 'open' legation will be the German one?  Hopefully.  Seems an odd exception since the Germans had the fourth largest force, right behind the Americans - who were behind the Russians who were behind the British.  But everyone was behind the armed civilian totals.  Not sure that counts, though. 

A few other desires: Russian sailors in shirtsleeve order and more of the troops for the relief expeditions.  For those who know the period, what else is missing?  I'm wondering about the American infantry (non-Marines) and the German sailors, too. Maybe some of the other sailors will work for the German ones but I don't think for the Russians because they didn't have the draping color in shirtsleeve order.

Don't get me wrong, I love what's been released.  Just thinking forward for what else might be needed.

Oh, for sure a train.  And maybe some sort of modular cathedral with a central structure and optional bits like flying buttresses, something that can be a mini-version of the Peitang or even Norte Dame (for those gorgeous Musketeer figures from Old Glory 25s in 15/18 mm). 

Really looking forward to seeing the armed and, especially, the unarmed civilians.  I'm betting a lot of pulp gamers will be pleased - and maybe I can add some Chinese to my Old West gaming (add more, I should say).  Russ, if you're paying attention, my requests getting fulfilled mean more of my money in your pocket.   ;)

Well, heading back to look over the lists some more.  Even before I've received my first order, I'm already planning my next order from this range!

Didnt the Germans kinda abandon most of their Legation, and fall back on a makeshift line closer to the US area, adjacent to the Tartar Wall that both defended?

I'm telling you, if you plan a big game, with most of the Legation perimeter, you will have a LOT of unused space.   And unless you give the Chinese a LOT more Krupp artillery than they had, they ain't doing much but hanging out and lopping bullets over high walls. 

Thus why I am doing a fictitious area near Peking.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 03:41:49 AM »
I don't think the Germans abandoned their legation and fell back.  Or, if they did, it was very late in the siege.  They did, however, fall back from their post on the Tartar Wall - but, again, I think that was late in the siege.  I could be wrong, though.  There were a number of legations that were abandoned, of course, Austrian, eventually the Italian, and others.

I'm rereading Diana Preston's The Boxer Rebellion to refresh my memory.  Good book, well written and an easy read.

Another item missing from the range are several of the guns - especially the Chinese guns.  But, as Russ said, there may be more items added to the range at some point.  I keep hoping.  Oddly, this is at best a secondary and maybe only a tertiary period for me yet I'm sure 'investing' heavily into it now.  Maybe why I'm so willing to spend coin here is that so many of the elements can be used in so many other ways than strictly historical.  

Oh, and on the fictional front, one of my key 'locations' is the Spring Palace of the Divine Concubine.  Now go and try and find that on a map of China!   :-*

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »
I don't think the Germans abandoned their legation and fell back.  Or, if they did, it was very late in the siege.  They did, however, fall back from their post on the Tartar Wall - but, again, I think that was late in the siege.  I could be wrong, though.  There were a number of legations that were abandoned, of course, Austrian, eventually the Italian, and others.

I'm rereading Diana Preston's The Boxer Rebellion to refresh my memory.  Good book, well written and an easy read.

Another item missing from the range are several of the guns - especially the Chinese guns.  But, as Russ said, there may be more items added to the range at some point.  I keep hoping.  Oddly, this is at best a secondary and maybe only a tertiary period for me yet I'm sure 'investing' heavily into it now.  Maybe why I'm so willing to spend coin here is that so many of the elements can be used in so many other ways than strictly historical.  

Oh, and on the fictional front, one of my key 'locations' is the Spring Palace of the Divine Concubine.  Now go and try and find that on a map of China!   :-*

Diana Preston's book is GOAT!   

Also, Google "Boxer Rebellion Buildings Wargaming".

I found so many actual pictures of the buildings and such.   Plus lots of wargaming tables.

My problem with a true Legation game:  Size.   Maybe a convention game, huge, with the perimeter on the table edges?  The allied units were kinda far apart.  Its NOT l;ike you see in many games: nice, neat 1 foot by 1 foot walled legations in a perfectly symmetrical street/block grid. 

Plus, the aspects of the siege.  It was not really any massive assault.  Hot fgighting at several key places in the perimeter, and a trench like stalemate on the tartar wall.   Seemed mostly like it was continuous  random shots into the complex.   Of course, you could certainly game it as if the Chinese were all of single purpose, and actually ordered a mass, total assault.  (you would have to, to make the game fun?)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
This posted earlier today:

"We are pleased to inform you that the Boxer Rebellion Range is now on both the bluemoonmanufacturing.com as well as the oldglory25s.com web sites ready to order. We have a large range of Legation buildings for you so we would like to offer our customers a Special Deal. If you bought all 5 of the Legations, 15BMB-100 through 15BMB-104 they would cost you $975.00 USD. In our Legation Deal if you are not an Old Glory Army Member and purchase all 5 Legations, we will sell them to you for $700.00 USD. Please note in the comment section that you are doing the Legation Deal and we will adjust the total to reflect the deal before we run your credit card. If you are an Old Glory Army Member and purchase all 5 Legations we will sell them to you for $500.00 USD. Please also note in the comment section that you are doing the Legation Deal and that you are an Old Glory Army Member and your membership number if possible. Since the OG Army Member special price is lower than your normal discount we will adjust the total appropriately for you before we run your credit card. If you have any questions please contact either Connie at oldglory@cvzoom.net or Teresa at oldgloryshipyard@gmail.com"

Here is the link: http://www.oldglory25s.com/index.php?cat_id=1199&catname='Boxer%20Rebellion'

That takes you to the page with three links - Chinese figures, buildings, and Europeans.  Not sure if there will be additional figures in the range or not but hoping so.  Definitely need civilians and perhaps some other European figures for fights away from the Legations.

edit - And an update already on additional figure packs:

"Here is the current list for the Boxer Rebellion Line – this is what we are committed to creating – other codes could be added later.

THE GREAT POWERS
15BRL-100 U.S. Marines with Command
15BRL-101 British Royal Marines light infantry with command
15BRL-102 German Sea Battalion with command
15BRL-103 Russian infantry with command
15BRL-104 Japanese infantry with command
15BRL-105 French sailors with command
15BRL-106 French marines with command
15BRL-107 Passive civilians
15BRL-108 Fighting civilians
15BRL-109 Naval artillery crews
15BRL-110 Russian Cossacks with command
15BRL-111 Dismounted Cossack guards with fur caps
15BRL-112 Japanese cavalry with command
15BRL-113 Russian artillery crews
15BRL-114 Japanese artillery crews
15BRL-115 Italian sailors with command
15BRL-116 Austrian sailors with command
15BRL-117 Italian Bersaglieri with command
15BRL-118 Great Power personalities
15BRL-119 Fighting parsons with Nordenfelt gun
15BRL-120 International gun with crew

CHINESE FORCES

15BRC-100 Boxer command
15BRC-101 Boxers with swords
15BRC-102 Boxers with pole arms
15BRC-103 Boxers with rifles
15BRC-104 Chinese regulars advancing with command
15BRC-105 Chinese regulars skirmishing with command
15BRC-106 Chinese artillery crews
15BRC-107 Tartar Calvary with command
15BRC-108 Dead Boxers
15BRC-109 Wounded Boxers
15BRC-110 Tigermen attacking
15BRC-111 Red Lanterns
15BRC-112 Chinese passive civilians
15BRC-113 Chinese with wall guns"

Really looking forward to seeing the 'passive civilians', both sets, the tigermen, and the red lanterns.

Oh, for those not in the know, this is in 15/18mm from Blue Moon and Old Glory 25s.  Even with the special deal, I'm already over $1,000 US and still counting upwards.

This is GOLD, Jerry!  GOLD!    As I said, I already painted up their Boxers, and they are elite!

The passive and fighting civilians, Chinese and European, may be the greatest 15mm thing we have seen in a LONg time!   Where could you NOT use these?  I see commission work for building "China Section" Old West terrain in my future!  :)

And mostly ALL these packs have use in the kit of any Colonial gamer!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Boxer Figures and Buildings Available! add Legation Dimensions
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 04:14:37 AM »
Wow! Just wow.

My order arrived and all I've done so far is pull out all the figure packs and barely glanced at them and opened the British legation box with its twelve pieces, two being roofs, and I'm in awe.

I've over thirty years as an adult active in this hobby and not only have I never seen anything so impressive, I've never heard of anything so impressive as this range of figures with its accompanying buildings.

This is a fantastic range that will be the new yard stick to measure by. And I suspect if it is ever topped it will be Blue Moon/Old Glory25s working together to achieve such a lofty goal.

I say it again, WOW.

Next up is to check out the civilian packs. More later.

Edit: So, its a new day and I've set up all five of the walled legation sets and it just about fills a 4' x 4' 1" space.  There is room for a nice Legation Street to run down between the British and Russian legations on one side (with a nice space between them) and the United States, French, and Japanese legations on the other side of the street.  However, those latter three legations end up cheek-by-jowl close to each other so I'd say a minimum of 4' x 5' to set up the five legations would work better.  Reason for setting up at 4' x 4' and a bit is because of various gaming related projects covering most of my gaming table right now. 

I'd say you could run a reasonable game on a 5' x 6' table with one end having the Tartar Wall and then the legations and the farther end a Chinese quarter, probably in ruins would be best.  If you can manage a 6' x 8' table, then you can really go to town by spreading out the legations a little better and including a lot more of the Chinese quarters.  I'll just make my 4' x 12' table work for games at home and spread out for convention games.  Well, one day, when I get the lot painted.  And, yes, soon, there should be some photos up on my blog and I will come back here and include a link (and hope some kind soul will post a teaser photo here but, really, you'll only need to click on the link).

Oh, on the civilian packs, it looks like the European pack has 12 women, 4 children, and 14 men - none armed, roughly two of each sculpt.  Would have liked them to be all unique but at least we have them.  Seems to be even more duplication in the Chinese 'passive' civilians pack but that was from a very cursory glance.  I will be sorting out figures soon in preparation for another figure order to round things out, especially for the Europeans but more Chinese, too.

When I get photos of the buildings set up I'll also get some for the European civilians, looks like the Chinese civilians photos are posted on the company web site now, maybe the Europeans aren't far behind.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 07:45:13 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Boxer Figures and Buildings Available! Now with link to photos. 8/8/17
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 10:19:38 PM »
As promised, here is the link to my blog, photos of all the legations setup together, unpainted, and both the Chinese and European civilian packs for your delectation.  Enjoy:

https://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/boxer-rebellion.html