Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:47:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tell me about Bloodbowl  (Read 1104 times)

Offline AllenW

• Student
Tell me about Bloodbowl
« on: July 05, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »
If I understand the concept is fantasy/SF/40K American football.  No?  Have never seen the game played nor any information about it.  Figures look interesting.

Would someone do a mini review of the game please.

Al

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: Tell me about Bloodbowl
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 01:59:31 PM »
Bloodbowl 2 on the PC is superb, I mention this because it is currently £8 on Steam, so for the cost of one figure you can try the actual game out.
The game itself is excellent fun.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
Yup, try it on the pc first - the rules are exactly the same but the game does all the dice rolling etc for you. Brilliant game, Ive been playing online every sunday for about 7 years. Embarrasingly I've ever only played it "live" twice (0-0-2) :(  but thats halflings for you. Advantage to the pc is you can try out different teams to see which suits you before you try it for real, they all play differently.

The rules themselves - well each player can move, block if theyre adjacent to an opposition player at the start of the turn or perform a blitz (move & block) pass, hand over (the ball) or foul. But only 1 each of those actions per turn. 8 turns per half, with the option to buy a limited number of rerolls, medics, wizards, Blooweiser Babes etc. Blocks resolved by special block dice, lots of different racial abilities & styles. Great campaign game too.

Check out a forum or as Redzed says take a punt on the game, play solo or online, but be ready to lose a fair bit of your spare time!

Offline Darren

• Scientist
  • Sky Marshall
    • Darren's Hobby Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:20:29 PM »
Mike Davies, current president of the NAF (an international organisation dedicated to assisting Blood Bowl players) has done quite a lot of videos on YouTube about BB - he did this one which gives an intro to the game from the new box set.  Worth 30 mins if you're interested in playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DObbJOz9X0k

I've been playing Blood Bowl since 1988 on and off.  It's my main game now - I love it.  It's competitive and yet still silly and random.  Whether you play with one of your mates as one off games or take part in the World Cup (the last one in Italy had over 1000 players over three days) it's all good stuff.