Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:22:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles Library  (Read 16756 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Pulp Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles Library
« on: July 06, 2017, 02:25:52 AM »
Having enjoyed the Pulp Plane Library thread,...

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=58045.0

...it surprised me that we didn't have a similar thread for cars, trucks, and motorcyles. So, if the moderator allows me to start a such a thread, I propose that we post photos and discussion here for historical, or at least near-historical, cars, trucks, and motorcycles, a thread for wheeled vehicles. There's been recent activity with new cast models and 3D printed models. And there's always the old standby of diecast models being converted to use in Pulp games.

So let me kick this thread off with two images of a pair of diecast models that I just received today, both 1:43 scale, a Fiat Model Zero 1912-1915 from Rio and an Opel Laubfrosch Cabriolet Ouvert 1925 from Eligor, one view in bright sunlight to show the colors:

Oddly enough, today is the first day of a big classic car event in my little town. For 5 days we get to see lots of vehicles from before 1970. Two Pulp era vehicles, a sedan and a pickup truck, were parked right under my window an hour ago. for a little inspiration, if the moderator allows, here's a couple of photos:

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:27:33 AM by warrenpeace »
Sailors have more fun!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Pulp Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles Library
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 02:34:38 AM »
What are the dimensions on that Fiat 0? Got a picture with a figure next to it? I have a different Fiat Torpedo also by Rio, but I find while it scales well, it sits quite high and so looks out of scale a bit.

EDIT: Mine's a 501, but it looks like they've re-used the body at least between yours and mine as they seem identical at a glance. If yours is lower-slung though it might work much better.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 02:38:02 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 01:27:37 AM »
This 1932 photo of a Bugatti Royale 'Esders' Roadster with Jean Bugatti standing next to it looks like a lot of  28mm figures next to 1:43 scale vehicle models:

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 01:36:02 AM by warrenpeace »

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 12:10:26 PM »
The reasons for that are that people keep putting huge vehicles next to their figures, which fits mostly in this scene because Bugatti's luxury series were colossal. Their last, the Royale, was 6m long; not a sustainable extravagance in the Depression years.
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:22:23 PM »
I have some Sarissa trucks and Glencoe cars I am working on; tomorrow I shall get some images up. The Glencoe mini kits include two twin kits, for a total of four cars, which are the right size; but the kits suck so horribly.
I also have some Models of Yesteryear for which I seek spare wheels, and some Amercom-hobby items I shall post tomorrow.

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
This 1932 photo of a Bugatti Royale 'Esders' Roadster with Jean Bugatti standing next to it looks like a lot of  28mm figures next to 1:43 scale vehicle models:

Quoth Wikipedia:
"The Bugatti Type 41, better known as the Royale, is a large luxury car built from 1927 to 1933 with a 4.3 m (169.3 in) wheelbase and 6.4 m (21 ft) overall length. It weighs approximately 3,175 kg (7,000 lb) and uses a 12.763 litre (778 cu in) straight-eight engine. For comparison, against the modern Rolls-Royce Phantom (produced from 2003 onward), the Royale is about 20% longer, and more than 25% heavier. This makes the Royale one of the largest cars in the world."

It certainly looks it!

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 03:20:59 AM »
MoY:

Compared with Amercom:

And Sarissa:

And Glencoe:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:24:21 AM by shadowbeast »

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 02:23:05 AM »
There was a swap meet two Sundays ago, and I got some items... pics to follow...
Also there appears to be an estate sale occurring at Townsville Collectables, and I got a few items there. There are a lot more left; few military vehicles, but many assorted scales of cars, a few trucks, bikes, some magazine collectables such as Amercom's Legendary Cars, Taxis and Batman series, and a whole bunch of assorted aircraft. I got 5 vehicles for $25.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:56:57 AM »
I can't seem to ever find swap meets for this sort of thing or other old toys in Toronto. Even the flea markets these days just sell the cheap new junk that even dollar stores won't sell.

I don't know why that might be, but I'm certainly jealous of those who have swap meets nearby and often.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 12:53:56 PM »
Those are only yearly here, anyway. If that. Here are the two I got there:

Lledo promotional model, made in England, and that's all the information there is under that van; and no brand I could see under the fuel truck, apart from a symbol like a capital S with movement lines. That, and the vehicle at left in these images:

are pull-back toys.

MoY and one Solido.

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »
Considering that I got those for $5 each, the cars seen here cost a packet:
http://1stcorps.co.uk/product-category/20th-century/20th-century-c20th-follies/
http://www.oldgloryuk.com/highways-and-byways/41/151/405/413
http://www.companyb.biz/
Only to be used if you cannot get enough normal-looking vehicles any other way!
These may be worth it:
https://warbases.co.uk/?product_cat=vehicles

Offline FionaWhite

• Mad Scientist
  • The Fox Fantastic
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »
Here's one more Model of Yesteryear that I actually remembered I owned thanks to this thread:

Handsome if as-of-yet-unfortunately-unpainted Pulp Alley fellow for scale.

I really have no idea what I'm doing.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »
Dont forget IMCDB for every movie/TV vehicle (even ones in background) ever.

Pick a movie or TV show that has vehicles you want.   Make list, then Google the cars with "1/43 scale"   and youll know if they are available.

Also look at 1/43 scale model car sites.   Many,. Many kits and bodies of Pulp era cars made for electric racing and shelf models.

Remember, many cars on a street are older.  Not everyone in 1930 had a '30 Silver Ghost.  Means 1920's and earlier vehicles are fine to use
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 12:30:55 AM »
I have attached a link to my 28mm Gangster gallery.  It is a huge gallery of photos, and shows a city layout in diorama form.   On the streets of that city are approximately 50 die cast and resin cars and trucks.  No question that this is a little self-promotional, but I have not attached pictures here because I have not recovered from my Photobucket cleansing.  I think if you take a moment to check my gallery out you will not be disappointed by the great variety of vehicles you will see.  The gallery can be seen at www.warin15mm.com/28mm-Gangsters---Stuff.html