Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles Library  (Read 16750 times)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
Re: Pulp Cars, Trucks, & Motorcycles Library
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2018, 11:58:27 PM »
Fram, what figures are you using? Copplestone and the new Pulp Alley figures are quite large, and the Pulp Alley figures come with a high slotta base.

My concern for sizing is different. I look at the figures and the seats in the car and consider whether the seats look like they would be a tight fit for the figures. I have some 1:50 scale diecast which look like a tight fit for the bulk of the figures. But 1:43 scale looks about right to me. That's lucky, since there are so many models in 1:43 scale.

Sailors have more fun!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2018, 03:04:43 AM »
Fram, what figures are you using? Copplestone and the new Pulp Alley figures are quite large, and the Pulp Alley figures come with a high slotta base.

My concern for sizing is different. I look at the figures and the seats in the car and consider whether the seats look like they would be a tight fit for the figures. I have some 1:50 scale diecast which look like a tight fit for the bulk of the figures. But 1:43 scale looks about right to me. That's lucky, since there are so many models in 1:43 scale.
Mostly Copplestone, but also a wide variety of other figures including some 1/48th figures.

Bulk in seats is important to me as well, but I figure they would fit if it were a bit of a squeeze. Not everything will be perfect since Wargames minis are not truly proportional to humans, so it's a matter of trying to get the best fit you can. For me, exterior markers (figures standing next to car hoods, roofs, doors, or tires, as well as the overall size of the car relative to the figure AND to buildings, which are often shrunken out of necessity) are much more visible at a glance than how well the figure would theoretically fit inside the car.

Still, I agree that if the car is so small it appears that the figure obviously could not fit inside at a glance, this is also a killer. This is why I cannot use 1:72 aircraft or unmodified Lledo cars, because it is immediately obvious that my figures would not possibly fit inside (whereas 1:64 aircraft just manages to look credible enough, especially compared to buildings and cars as well - the need to balance everything against each other makes it even harder!).

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2018, 03:12:44 AM »
Good grief Matt,

That Whippet is long way from home.I knew the auto car did well in your neck of the woods (obvious when you think about it.),Didn't know that many whippets had made their way to the colonies.

I do like the tractor. Quite fancy doing another one.Probably a 3 ton civilian one as the 15ton does both. The 5 not so much.(mind you mines heading for my air field.

Having been reminded what your collection comprises of . I think the racer will fit in nicely (though the orangutan is proving troublesome  ;))

When it comes to die casts, I use a similar principle figure height first and no identical cars in a different scale.Other than that 'Ooooh Shiny I wann iiit!' Is my buying strategy

You've reminded me ,we'll have to give Vodkafan a prod. As I sent him some different wheel styles to play with,an age ago.

Well, my collection was built up over more than a year and I ended up selling off half the original fleet I'd bought as I tried to simply ignore the issues with 1:43/1:48 cars, but eventually I found a few cars which were scaled much better and as a result couldn't tolerate the ones which remained seemingly oversized anymore. So I ended up seeking out enough replacements to rebuild the collection.

I actually had THREE De Agostini Ford Model A Gaz cars at one point, as it's an absolutely WONDERFUL model, but it's simply too enormous compared to my other cars and my figures. I know some interwar cars could be comically large (and I have one or two of those still), but the hood (or bonnet) if you prefer being at nose height really drove me up the wall. Even huge cars of the 30's were seldom that massive.

For example, here's a Deusenberg, which was QUITE a massive car, even by 30's standards. While the man appears small, the bonnet is still clearly at chest or waist height and the roof would only be about head height:

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 03:17:26 AM by FramFramson »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2018, 03:23:26 AM »
Actually your posting reminds me.... what happened with the new motorcycle models (which, bizarrely, work better as 1:48th!). You mentioned there'd be some forthcoming but did they end up going to the moldmakers? Almost the only commonly available is the Tamiya German military model (can't recall if it's the Zundapp or BMW).

A couple of British bikes would be excellent to have as options.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2018, 01:12:50 PM »
If you reminded when you car is ready I'll pop you some of the unreleased British bikes(I think ,I made Nortons. Plus a couple of side cars.I've had a sleep since then .So I'll have to check. ) in the same box,and an egg. ::)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2018, 05:56:48 PM »
Now you're going to tell us you've made a Fabergé egg out of cereal packet?  lol ;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2018, 10:04:20 PM »
Oooo, idea  ;D ;D

No no no no must stay on target.

Before I get totally side-tracked . I've got to get my version of this,plus orangutan.plus Fram's sketch. Ready for casting before Partizan.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:09:14 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2018, 10:06:49 PM »
OMG! sweeeeeeeet!

I need to get you those drawings of additional drivers...

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
To get back on topic (my fault)

Here's a couple of vehicles of my own. Also one of my scratch builds ,which cost literally nothing to build.

Mark.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:40:32 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2018, 08:43:06 AM »
Here's a few images of Pulp worthy vehicles . Some of which will have commercial models,and others that would be very simple conversions or scratch builds.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:38:51 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
Hmm, the armoured van looks interesting.I've been wondering about a heist as a scenario.

I really like the model motorcycles though. Is it possible to swap the riders as I don't need a nun on a motorbike, despite knowing one who would probably ride one?

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2018, 06:15:24 AM »
Mark, did you make those motorcycles out of cereal card? .. They look very good.

Cheers
Matt

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2018, 09:16:44 AM »
CB, Thanks for the vote of confidence  lol They're the white metal Nortons(16 H rings a bell) You can't really see them for the riders.(which aren't the only riders just needed to release two and these were literally the first out of the box . There's more)
The red one has slightly chunky front forks because it refused to reliably cast in a production mould.( the white one no problem  ::) )and its used as a dollie for other variants .
The only motorcycles I've done in card were the Akira bikes.
Just for the record I don't just play with cardboard. But ..... Having said that .Andy its possible to interpret everyone of those vehicles in card.  ;)

WP.
For me personally the whole issue of trying to scale vehicles for the pre WW2 decades.Is the modern subconscious sense of scale,and its cultural variations.
You already have a pre conceived notion of the size of cars,lorries,and busses. Picked up from the environment you live in. Then that template of experiences is applied to make sense of. What you see..
The problem is that when you apply it different period history It's not always a comfortable fit.Simply because it's not the template of experience used by the people at the time.
It's a conflict I come across all the time when I work on Reconstructions .(Roman roofing is a constant bug bear.getting across just how chunky it is in comparison to the modern roofs people are familiar with.)
You have an idea of scale and proportion, car ,lorry, bus, etc.
Then you look at period when that distinction hasn't evolved yet.and you chuck in scale variations,and gamers  then it's really a mine field.
So for my toys I stick with that works for me.

Just to illustrate how random this period is ,ones a lorry ,and the other a saloon chassis.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2018, 02:24:23 AM »
I bought the Nun on the MC, will there be a military version (and a sidecar)?

If you reminded when you car is ready I'll pop you some of the unreleased British bikes(I think ,I made Nortons. Plus a couple of side cars.I've had a sleep since then .So I'll have to check. ) in the same box,and an egg. ::)
Cheers,
Poiter50