Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:33:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689738
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Lame Beaver...  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
The Great Lame Beaver...
« on: July 08, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »
Is this chap really the only option? I want a 28mm, mounted and dismounted, Cheyenne Chief in a proper warbonnet with either lance or Winchester. There are some magnificent 28mm Cowboys/cavalry figures to be had from several manufacturers, I'm suspicioned that the Plains Indians, just like in real life, are very poorly served?

:-[
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Online frank xerox

• Scientist
Re: The Great Lame Beaver...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:57:18 AM »
You may be right - the old westwind range, foundry and the conquest commanches are about the only ranges I can think of that would fit your bill.
It does suck....

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »
Look into Conquest Miniatures (who sell some of their line via Warlord Games - sadly). 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
Warlord Games has 20 different very nice Comanches models, each of them in both on foot and mounted versions:

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/the-plains-wars-1850s-1890s

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:41:00 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
They're just the ticket D. Now wot's the best Vallejo shade for Hollywood/The Searchers Redskins!

???

Offline Bartman

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
I'm not an expert by any means on the Indian nations and not to be critical, but wasn't Crazy Horse a Sioux? I thought the Comanche were more of a southwest nation more so than plains Indians. The Warlord miniatures are great, but they look more like northern plains Indians, such as Sioux, Cheyenne or Lakota. Just curious about them calling them Comanche... ???

regards, Bill

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
The Warlord miniatures are great, but they look more like northern plains Indians, such as Sioux, Cheyenne or Lakota. Just curious about them calling them Comanche... ???

regards, Bill

Actually these are Comanche and not the Northern tribes. There are lots of subtle differences that distinguish them from their Northern cousins. For example several of the figures wear knee high moccasins, which are peculiar to the Southern tribes.

The Foundry figures are more appropriate for traditional looking generic plains indians. They are have a figure in a Cheyenne war bonnet (which is cylindrical not flaired) both mounted and on foot.

Also the Warlord figures come up on the small side of 28mm. They are quite slight looking figures.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 04:09:21 PM »
The Conquest Crazy Horse/Gall set are portraits of those Sioux chiefs, sculpted directly from plates in the Warriors At Little Bighorn Osprey. Eric at Conquest had plans to release more Northern Plains figures, but never got any farther.

The Conquest Comanches, as Malamute says, are researched to be exactly that tribe. They include portrait figures of chiefs Buffalo Hump and The Little Spaniard.

Dixon has some good Plains Indian sculpts, and the Old Glory Chiefs pack is sculpted directly from plates in the Osprey Plains Indian title, so it includes portrait figures for named chiefs of several different tribes. However, neither of these options gives you matched mounted/dismounted figures, and I don't think either includes a specifically Cheyenne-style war bonnet.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 05:16:23 PM »
The Foundry figures are more appropriate for traditional looking generic plains indians. They are have a figure in a Cheyenne war bonnet (which is cylindrical not flaired) both mounted and on foot.

Also the Warlord figures come up on the small side of 28mm. They are quite slight looking figures.

Malamute, I didn't know that Warlord figures were small 28mm, thanks for the info! And as always you're right, Foundry Plain Indians are very nice and seemingly well researched figures! And they come as 18 characters in both mounted and on foot models! ;)
(And now, blame you, I am veeryyyy tempted to buy the whole collection! :D)

But of course I will be mounting them on dinosaurs... ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:31:44 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »
Malamute, I didn't know that Warlord figures were small 28mm.

Here are some Conquest Comanche about to take down a Foundry Texas Ranger. The Conquest figures are mounted on thicker bases but are still shorter and are slight. They get away with it because they are not clothed, but do look on the small side.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Here are some Conquest Comanche about to take down a Foundry Texas Ranger. The Conquest figures are mounted on thicker bases but are still shorter and are slight. They get away with it because they are not clothed, but do look on the small side.

PERFECT, thank you very much!  ;)

How do the Foundry Plain Indians compare with Artizan figures?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 05:45:38 PM »
PERFECT, thank you very much!  ;)

How do the Foundry Plain Indians compare with Artizan figures?

Just a little shorter.  I think they will blend in ok. Especially as they are not clothed, wearing hats etc, you can get away with the differences.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »
I'm not an expert by any means on the Indian nations and not to be critical, but wasn't Crazy Horse a Sioux? I thought the Comanche were more of a southwest nation more so than plains Indians. The Warlord miniatures are great, but they look more like northern plains Indians, such as Sioux, Cheyenne or Lakota. Just curious about them calling them Comanche... ???

regards, Bill

Bartman, you're right: Crazy Horse was a Oglala Lakota war leader ("Sioux" is a detrimental term, meaning "vipers"; Lakota means "honored allied"); he is listed by Warlord as "indian personaliluty" under their "Comanche Indians - Plain Wars" miniatures.  ;)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »
Just a little shorter.  I think they will blend in ok. Especially as they are not clothed, wearing hats etc, you can get away with the differences.

Thanks again, Malamute! I am going for a non strictly historical Hollywood Western, but would like most of my miniatures to be visually compatible with Artizan/Dracula's America miniatures!  :D

Offline Bartman

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 08:12:33 PM »
Actually these are Comanche and not the Northern tribes. There are lots of subtle differences that distinguish them from their Northern cousins. For example several of the figures wear knee high moccasins, which are peculiar to the Southern tribes.

Bartman, you're right: Crazy Horse was a Oglala Lakota war leader ("Sioux" is a detrimental term, meaning "vipers"; Lakota means "honored allied"); he is listed by Warlord as "indian personaliluty" under their "Comanche Indians - Plain Wars" miniatures.  ;)

Thanks for the information guys. I'm trying so hard to not start another period, but picked up "The Sioux Indian Wars" and "Quanah Parker; the Last Comanche Chief" (I think that's the title) and its got me itching to try out the Indian Wars.

regards, Bill