Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:25:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690732
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zoo  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
Zoo
« on: March 23, 2009, 07:09:54 PM »
I'm thinking of a scenario based in Hyde Park in Victorian London involving hunting down various dinosaurs that have escaped from the zoo.

I need some zoo type railings and general park furniture to spice it up, together wih suitable 28mm figures for dino hunters (the Woodbine shooting party, for example), park attendants, zoo keepers, bobbies etc etc.

Any ideas?

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
Re: Zoo
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:16:31 PM »
I have quite a collection of zoo type fencing. I get it whenever I buy a package of cheap plastic animals from the dollar stores. Check out you discount stores, cheap department stores, or even toy stores for small packs or bags of toys. And many of the animals will be useful too.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »
Scalelink has brass etched park fencing in all sorts of sizes and designs:
http://scalelink.co.uk/

Bobbies and assorted Victorian civilians are available from Westwind Miniatures in their Gothic Horror range.

Ironclad Miniatures is just releasing a set of rifle and shotgun armed Victorian civilians.

Hope that helps.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:39:32 AM »
for more railings and accessories you may also try the railway modelling shops!

the rest as Malamute & HerbyF suggested.
Also check the set of gentlemen hunters by GrippingBeast, they are marvellous.
Another suggestion: "the little lead soldiers" has 2 sets of fox hunters and dogs, I think that they will fit the lot as well!
http://www.littleleadsoldiers.com/
[listed in their sport range of 30mm miniatures!]
argsilverson

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:18:43 PM »

Don’t know if it’s what you’re looking for but I think that Gran Manner have some useful pieces of "Stone capped walling with iron railing and flagstone paving" in their WWII range…
http://www.grandmanner.co.uk/shop/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=78&numRecordPosition=36&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&strSearchCriteria=

For VSF hunter there might be some useful figures in the Copplestone range… like pack AF22 Big Game Hunters or C38 Dinosaur Hunters

There is also a dedicated pack of Lost World Explorers Hunters from Brigade Games
http://www.brigadegames.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BGLWE

8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
If it's a zoo with dinosaurs etc, you're going to need some pretty large enclosures, might be worth looking at 1/32 (Britains used to do some, but that was years ago, although you still find bits on car boot sales etc) or larger.
Continental firms like Schleich might have a few useful pieces, perhaps even Playmobil - after all a cage for a Playmobil lion should be about right for a 28mm T rex.
Model railway pieces could be useful, Preiser do some but potentially expensive, Dapol are more basic, but cheaper. Look for a local model railway show, they often have second hand stalls or even bring and buy (same as wargames shows do) where you can get cheaper bits of scenery - especially if its slightly damaged, but that's not a disadvantage if there's a dinosaur running loose.
Pound shops are a good bet for cheap bits too.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »
Ebay? try this - 190295684520

If it's a zoo with dinosaurs etc, you're going to need some pretty large enclosures, might be worth looking at 1/32 (Britains used to do some, but that was years ago, although you still find bits on car boot sales etc) or larger.
Continental firms like Schleich might have a few useful pieces, perhaps even Playmobil - after all a cage for a Playmobil lion should be about right for a 28mm T rex.
Model railway pieces could be useful, Preiser do some but potentially expensive, Dapol are more basic, but cheaper. Look for a local model railway show, they often have second hand stalls or even bring and buy (same as wargames shows do) where you can get cheaper bits of scenery - especially if its slightly damaged, but that's not a disadvantage if there's a dinosaur running loose.
Pound shops are a good bet for cheap bits too.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 08:29:47 AM »
Blue Moon have a ncie box of Victorian civilians, you might find some sutiable characters in there.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:37:47 AM »
Blue Moon have a ncie box of Victorian civilians, you might find some sutiable characters in there.

I have that set.  Many suitable figs for a zoo scenario.