Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kickstarter-Carnevale by TTCombat  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Kickstarter-Carnevale by TTCombat
« on: July 14, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2052977442/carnevale-the-miniature-game/description

One I've been keeping an eye out for. TTCombat have just launched their Kickstarter for the new version of Carnevale (a game that's been on KS before when it was owned by Vesper On)

Apparently the rules have been streamlined and tidied up a bit and there is a new starter box. The whole minis line has been redone as well (the old models were lovely but incredibly fiddly)

I'm definitely pledging, it's an exciting skirmish game that (the last version anyway) attempted to make a really dynamic and cinematic game in a Assasins Creed meets Cthulhu with globs of gothic horror throw on world.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 01:46:20 PM by Sir_Theo »

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Kickstarter-Carnevale by TTCombat
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:34:16 PM »
Keeping an eye on this one too

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:56:28 AM »
staring at this intently, can anyone here tell me of any experiences they have had with the game? as the setting looks great!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:26:54 AM »
There is a video of a game using the beta rules on Beasts of War, showing some of the mechanics: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2052977442/carnevale-the-miniature-game/posts/1939597

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 01:18:19 PM »
Seen this, the game looks to be simplified from the original (never played the original but looked at the rules), pitting dice pool against dice pool, most successes wins. It looks like it could be malifaux without the synergy/ combo BS. Which I am up for.

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 01:19:03 PM »
Oh and it is funded now :)

Offline raykey

• Student
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 06:43:10 PM »
Good bat rep on beasts of war, got myself the noble pledge. I have all the original pewter figures(real must paint them). Ordered the banshee and the capodeime from them in resin both paint up really well

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 09:32:42 AM »
Going to do something just can't make up my mind as the Rasher don't really set my pulse alive and I already have some of he metal Guild miniatures. 

I'll keep watching the unlocks to see if they sway my mind one way or the other but a bid is a definite

Offline MidnightBlue

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »
I bought into this BIG in the Vesper-on Games' Carnevale Kickstarter in 2014.  It was a great and flavorful game setting, a listening and communicative game company, and a fun and engaged Kickstarter community.  It was definitely among my best Kickstarter experiences.

If there was any downside...I never saw the game on my FLGS shelves...and in the age of more "boardgame" minis games, there really wasn't a quick and easy entry point for newer gamers (or old gamers like me without the time for mini assembly/painting and terrain construction).  So...I'm sad to say that although I gave the fluff in the rulebook a lot of my reading attention, the minis/and plastcraft buildings stay in my "someday" Kickstarter assembly pile.

But this new Kickstarter and creators seem to have all the pluses of the VoG campaign that I loved (still miss those guys), but are also attacking Carnevale from the point of building the best 2-player starter, playing out of the box in minutes, Carnevale experience.  I think that is huge!

Terrain was a big roadblock for me with this game as one of the biggest draws to Carnevale is its Fantasy Venetian setting.  I had all these plans to construct canal terrain...and well like all my gaming hobby plans, the time and drive just isn't there.  But besides the add-on MDF terrain that TTCombat is offering in the campaign that will let you create canals depending on how you place them...the 2-player starter already comes with canal tiles and printed cardboard buildings ready to go.  And stretch goals have added a gondola to the box as well!  So there is a lot of flavor available for your table right out of the box.  The 1-piece starter miniatures don't hurt either.

If TTCombat can follow thru and get these starter boxes (as well as faction boxes) onto my FLGS shelves, I'll be quite happy to help promote the game in my FLGS.

The campaign is going great and hope to see it continue so.

:)

Offline khartoum2

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 03:56:13 PM »
Well I've made a bid on my first kickstarter - now tempted to increase it further

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 07:44:28 AM »
I love the setting, the scenery and the minis.  8)
I pledged.

But the rules look way too complicated for me these days.

Consequently I had to cancel my pledge...  :(
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 01:55:01 PM »
Just under two hours to go. Lots of stuff unlocked now, I'm adding in loads of scenery so I think this is going to end up fairly expensive!  lol

The two player starter looks really good value.

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 09:35:27 PM »
Wish I'd seen this thread earlier.   :-[

Offline Jockjay

• Librarian
  • 'reet.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 11:59:34 AM »
I backed this. Roll on feb.

Don't think it is complex at all. " I roll the amount of dice my stat says, your stat is the target number. any successes over your stat hurts you". is the general gist. The current list of special rules is quite small in comparison to a lot of games out there. Then again I have played infinity and malifaux which i find very rules intense, so by going to this I am easing off on rules. If i had just come from lion rampant or something I guess it would look quite complex.

Noticing in my local gaming groups that we are all swaying towards 'simpler' games. I think its an age thing, we all have work and families/ mortgages etc. nobody has the time to learn copious rule sets.

we should start a study : " Age vs gaming" lol

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
So true, for me the complexity of Zombicide or 40K 8th ed is just right...

Even my own Victory Decision games are more complicated, I just do know the rules there...  ;)