Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:54:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Dracula's America inspiration/Painting Thread.  (Read 8773 times)

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
Re: My Dracula's America inspiration/Painting Thread.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 04:58:35 AM »
Yeah apologies for that; it was just a question of space- once SOTW is out in the wild I'll post up the rules for muskets to tide folks over (be warned- they aren't very good! lol). Until then you could always 'count them as' carbines...

Really looking forward to seeing more of these guys!
I now have a Blog, like an actual modern-day human!
https://lead-mountaineer.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »
Yep I've got a wodge of musket troops as well. I'm sure I can muddle through.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 02:33:12 PM »
Doing research for my dissertation i've found that muskets had a certain occult aura to them being preferred over rifles and modern weapons for sturdiness, cheap ammunition and a belief that the smoke/loudness had magic properties...perhaps have muskets act 'normal' against normal troops but have and additional effect against summoned creatures?

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »
Doing research for my dissertation i've found that muskets had a certain occult aura to them being preferred over rifles and modern weapons for sturdiness, cheap ammunition and a belief that the smoke/loudness had magic properties...perhaps have muskets act 'normal' against normal troops but have and additional effect against summoned creatures?

Very nice points there! But just to be on the safe side, use silver bullets!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
Indeed, although silver does not possess the same ''spiritual properties'' to Africans, perhaps silver only works on werewolves/vampires?

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 04:25:29 PM »
Indeed, although silver does not possess the same ''spiritual properties'' to Africans, perhaps silver only works on werewolves/vampires?

In the traditions of the African-descendants people of the Americas, silver is deeply connected to the spiritual world of the dead ("the world beyond the Veil"), and used extensively in amulets, charms and spells. The iconic Haitian Voodoo Priest's metal cane top is made of silver (and not pewter) for that reason. Silver nails are used in spells to get in touch with the deceased, in Voodoo dolls to kill remotely and to banish zombies. So a silver bullet fired from a musket (or any other firearm) may kill not only vampires and werewolves, but other kinds of undead IMHO... But always aim for the head anyway! (and have a big Bowie or a machete at hand, just in case...) ;)

EDIT> In Southern Brazil, the gaúchos used to carry silver plated knives "just in case" to be used against evil spirits and the Boitatá (fire serpent of the pampas). While in Brazil's Rio Grande do Sul State fighting in the Farroupilha Revolution (1835-1845) the Italian adventurer Giuseppe Garibaldi was once given a silver crucifix and a small bag of silver pistol bullets as protection against "the evil things from the other side" (these pieces can be seen at the Júlio de Castilhos Historical Museum in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul).     

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:37:46 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 05:06:01 PM »
Certainly muskets seem to be still in use and held in high regard for a long time. I think ammunition quality for cartridge weapons may have been suspect for a while. Maybe the stuff sold on was of iffy quality. In Congo rules the musket causes more morale problems than rifles. Though longer to load obviously. The rules on muskets might be worth following up. I can imagine loading a musket with 'medicine' bundles to foil summoned or otherworld horrors. Even making an attack corridor like a sawn off, against close quarters horrors.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
Certainly muskets seem to be still in use and held in high regard for a long time. I think ammunition quality for cartridge weapons may have been suspect for a while. Maybe the stuff sold on was of iffy quality. In Congo rules the musket causes more morale problems than rifles. Though longer to load obviously. The rules on muskets might be worth following up. I can imagine loading a musket with 'medicine' bundles to foil summoned or otherworld horrors. Even making an attack corridor like a sawn off, against close quarters horrors.

I really like that!  :D

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »
That was my thoughts, white ash apparently is used on its own or coated on weapons by some Indian Tribes, I had no idea of the silver connection, I am used to reading up on cultures still in Africa, noticeably silver is not mentioned at all while various tribes have different values for different goods - although all tribes greatly valued coils of wire, preferably brass or copper.

I'm not surprised at the south american connection, silver is common there as are European superstitions.

Also it was common for wealthy Arabs/Africans to buy well made elephant guns and just saw down the barrel/file down the rifling to use them as essentially high quality muskets, rifles where traded but had less utility and ere often the subject of embargoes/tax attempts to discourage African buyers.

I also recall a few African hunter tribes using huge masks they slung over their back, apparently the mask would both scare any predators sneaking up from behind and also 'shiver' to warn the hunter of unseen threats.

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 09:48:42 PM »
Also I imagine that with the civil war over the place will be awash with exarmy weaponry from both sides. I'm sure the Congregation would have a lot of low grade muskets. Once the rules are in my hands I will give them a chew over on this front and see how it pans out. Happy to hear that there plenty of supplements lurking in Fenrir's mind(which we shall squeeze out  :D). So plenty of space to grow.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 10:04:06 PM »
Happy to hear that there plenty of supplements lurking in Fenrir's mind(which we shall squeeze out  :D). So plenty of space to grow.

Due to be released on January 23, 2018:

From Amazon:

This supplement for Dracula's America: Shadows of the West contains a host of new rules and material and offers something for every player.

- Two New Factions: The Forsaken, ragged survivors of the 7th Cavalry tormented by a bestial curse, and the White Dragon Tong, crimelords with an agenda as mysterious as the powers wielded by their enforcers.
- The Hunting Grounds: Scenarios and encounters that focus on this mythical realm and the power and threats found within it.
- Territory: Build and develop your headquarters, and exploit the benefits it offers, but beware your enemies taking the fight to your home turf.
- Outlaws, Mercenaries and Bounty Hunters: New campaign options, allowing you to turn to a life of crime, bring in wanted fugitives, or sell your gun to the highest bidder.
- New Monsters: The denizens of the Hunting Grounds, in all their terrifying glory.
- New Hired Guns: There's all kinds of folk willing to sell their skills, and these new Hired Guns offer a range of tactical options . . . if you can afford them.
- New Gear: Bring a Gatling Gun to a knife fight, or find out why you were always warned about misusing brimstone chalk and vials of ectoplasm.
- New Skills: Riding and Leadership skills give you new combat options and help your posse stay in the fight.

;)

Offline dartfrog

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »
  ;D

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 05:06:20 PM »
Fascinating stuff, folks- my knowledge on these subjects utterly pales in comparison! :o

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 06:58:44 PM »
It certainly helps that im currently doing my History Masters dissertation on explorers/east africa at the moment! lol

Offline Fenrir

• Scientist
    • The Lead Mountaineer
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 07:25:26 PM »
Aye, that would do it!  lol