Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:09:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Crimson Court is TOO BIG...  (Read 3052 times)

Offline cutp

• Scientist
The Crimson Court is TOO BIG...
« on: May 15, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »
...in my opinion ...for vampires

positive: really detailed, evocative sculpts

negative: the miniatures are TOO BIG

left to right

bloody peasant on double 25 mm Renedra base [to approximate GW base height] (Midlam)

Herald of the Red King on 40 mm GW base (Frostgrave)

matriarch female cultist on double 25 mm Renedra base (Midlam)

Gorath the Enforcer from Crimson Court on 32 mm GW base (GW) *

human infantry on double 25 mm Renedra base (Oathmark)

ogre on 40 mm GW base (GW)

Bretonnian archer on 25 mm GW base (GW)

:|

* recommend painting cloak & arms separately from body, then gluing later…

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: The Crimson Court is TOO BIG...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 06:57:58 PM »
Cripes, that's stupidly huge.  Thanks for the comparison, should eliminate any foolish impulses about buying those figs.

Or GW in general, I suppose.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 03:33:33 AM »
How do the other figs scale from the range? Perhaps this guy, being "the enforcer" is just a really tall vampire, you know, 7-8'?

Offline cutp

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 04:24:21 AM »
sorry the other 3 primed but not painted yet...

vamps also seem super human sized (not just super tall humans)

they just look huge versus "normal" human size minis from different companies...

Ennias Curse-born (wings) crouching but probably above human height (makes a good demon IMHO)

Prince Duvalle is big still = ~1 9/16" (bottom of foot to top of head) = 7.81 feet (@ 1" = 5 feet)

Vellas von Faine (female vampire) on slight pedestal... maybe tallest even without hair poof = ~1 3/4" excluding hair = 8.75 feet

Gorath the Enforcer = ~1 5/8" = 8.125 feet

hope this helps

:)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 04:34:01 AM »
Definitely. Sadly too tall, one could have been excusable. Nice minis at least. I was thinking of getting some of the new skeleton minis but I might wait to see a size comparison with them as well.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 09:26:51 AM »
On another note, love the painting on your Herald o/t Red King and the Midlam female cultist. Excellent colors, realy dig the pink.
Those GW Vampires are from their Underworld Warbands sets?
Leadhead

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 02:18:08 PM »
Definitely. Sadly too tall, one could have been excusable. Nice minis at least. I was thinking of getting some of the new skeleton minis but I might wait to see a size comparison with them as well.

Yeah, vampires should not be as tall as an ogre.  Or "ogor" or whatever idiotic name they're saddled with now.

The new skeletons (and zombies) are probably push-fit figs with few or no build options, but I haven't seen a definite yes-or-no on that yet.  The older modular kits for both are already OOP, although the more heavily-equipped grave guard skellies are staying around.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 03:14:27 PM »
GW really are pushing 40mm at this point with some of their more recent releases.
which is fine for a game like warhammer underworlds if it was self contained, but the whole thing is heading that way.

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »
GW really are pushing 40mm at this point with some of their more recent releases.
which is fine for a game like warhammer underworlds if it was self contained, but the whole thing is heading that way.

Every Underworlds crew has rules in Age of Sigmar as well.  Some are even quite good, particularly the later ones.  Same goes for the instantly-OOP Cursed City boxed set, although it'll have less impact on AoS unless the models show up on sale outside of that mayfly game.  While I don't begrudge them going for crossover sales between game systems, it does mean the out-of-control scale bloat of late spreads even faster than it would otherwise.

That bloat is almost certainly due to a desire to make it as difficult as possible for other companies to design proxy figs for GW games, which has been a huge market over the years, particularly in the last two decades or so.  The fact that it also make loyal players' older models look increasingly out-of-scale along new models is probably also a plus from GW's POV, since it encourages anyone who sticks to the company's games to keep buying new models ad infinitum.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 05:42:37 PM »
I don't think I saved the pic - but the minis in the box are generally pretty freakin' huge.  My buddy sent me some pics of his - the witch hunter is nearly the height of that Vampire enforcer guy.

They're...genuinely 35-40mm figures.  Again as big monster vampire guys that's probably fine, but the heroes would mega-dwarf any Frostgrave stuff and definitely Oathmark stuff, etc. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!