Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for advice: 20mm/1:72 Mad Maxian infantry/vehicle crew.  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
Hi folks,

I'd like to make use of your collective wisdom:
Recently I've started converting Matchbox/Hotwheels sized cars for Gasland and I'm running with a distinctly Mad Max inspired style. I'd like to add some drivers and crew to my vehicles to give them a bit more life and personality. Basically I'm looking for 20mm figures in the style of Wez/Aunty Entity's crew (sports/gimp gear and mohawks) or Immortan Joes Warboys (cargo pants, barechested and bald). Don't need/want them to be all male, a mix of genders would suit me better. Preferably sold from the EU, as shipping cost from the USA is a boot to the nethers... (If you know of a good quality 20mm sized Max and Furiosa, that would be grand as well!)
This is what I'm seeking, style-wise:

and/or

I already know about Stan Johansen (with attending boot-based shipping prices), Apocalypse Miniatures and Ramshackle games offerings, but they aren't quite in the style I'm looking for. I've also looked at converting 20mm Mohicans, but I think I've only scratched the surface of available miniatures.
Do you fine folk have any tips or suggestions for me?
Thank you in advance for your help!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Re: Looking for advice: 20mm/1:72 Mad Maxian infantry/vehicle crew.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »
The first thing that sprang to mind was converting 'barbarian' types like Gauls and Britons, maybe Zulus and such, mixing with WW2 pilot heads for the goggles.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline JohnDSD2

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »
Someone on here used plastic Woodland Indians, possibly Italeri.

They have the topknots and the right sort of trousers, a bit of tinkering with the weapons and they should be good to go.

There are probably other manufacturers too.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 02:37:16 PM »
Someone on here used plastic Woodland Indians, possibly Italeri.

They have the topknots and the right sort of trousers, a bit of tinkering with the weapons and they should be good to go.

There are probably other manufacturers too.

Yup the woodland indians are good and I'll add the Pegasus gladiators are something I've used too.

Also shameless self promotion but I still have some drivers I commissioned left (check this thread for details http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=95148.0). They come in raider and warboy flavours. ;)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:41:14 PM by Cait Sidhe »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:56:49 PM »
I wholeheartedly recommend Cait Sidhe's drivers. I have all sets and they are very well scaled and nicely sculpeted. Everything else is....mediocre!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
Thank you for your responses! Those Italeri Woodland Indians, are those hard plastic or the usual 1:72 bendy stuff?

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 06:11:15 PM »
Thank you for your responses! Those Italeri Woodland Indians, are those hard plastic or the usual 1:72 bendy stuff?

More the usual 1:72 bendy stuff, but if your only real 1/72 plastic experience is the old old Airfix stuff, newer figures aren't quite as bad in that regard.  Still probably need to treat prep+priming as if they were though.