Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:02:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685046
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 740
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Three Musketeers - Larger than Life! - Update 09/06 - Monsieur de Tréville  (Read 25228 times)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: The Three Musketeers - Larger than Life! - Update 30/7 - Flowergirl
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2018, 08:03:02 AM »
I’ve pressed her into service for my 60mm Victorian Horror project over on the Gothic Horror board instead: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=104764.0.

No, not cheap... but looking great.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 09:32:54 AM by white knight »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
The King, His Majesty Louis the XIII, known as Louis the Just, with his queen, Anne of Austria, daughter (and later sister) to the king of Spain and rumoured to have a soft spot for a certain Duke of Buckingham, another mortal enemy of France. Not an easy mariage. Both models are from King & Country and come prepainted.

The King, the son of Henri IV and Louis XIV...

The Queen. I added a small base to the queen, as K&C robed figures tend to be supplied without one, but I feel that looks a bit odd next to the other figures.

It's not easy being the Queen of France and a sister of the King of Spain

The Royal court of King Louis is of course frequented by a myriad of greater and lesser nobles, hoping to catch the King's eye and favour. This gentleman and his wife are the Duke of Vendôme, César de Bourbon, a half-brother of our beloved sovereign no less, and his wife Françoise de Lorraine. Having dabbled in intrigues and conspiracies, he will spend a larger part of his life in exile, but that's just the way of the 17th century courts.

The models are actually King & Country's (prepainted) ECW King & Queen, but after having them originally pegged to stand in for our benevolent rulers, they have been recast in new roles. I added a base to Françoise, as I felt she was missing something without it.

I have just as much royal blood as Louis, well, on our father's side anyway.

I married a King's brother, because of a treaty between Henry IV and my father, Philippe-Emmanuel de Lorraine

The King and Queen taking a stroll through the park, followed by their courtiers.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
More lovely additions to your collection.
 :-*

Am I right in suspecting that this little project MAY have a slight twist given what you were looking for recently?
 ;)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Since I didn’t get the one I was looking for, it probably won’t.   ;)

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
As we all know the Duke of Buckingham likes to sneak into Paris for some quality time with a certain queen, his bodyguards have their work cut out for them to get him back home safely in time for tea and biscuits. This dapper fellow is the captain of those bodyguards, one of the finest blades of England, and plenty of charm and wit to go with it. If he'd been born in France, he'd probably have been a member of the King's musketeers.

The model is King & Country's "Laughing Cavalier" from the ECW range. He's been recast here in a role that will suit him well.

As some people here might remember, I was considering him to fill the role of captain de Treville, but I've decided on a different option for that, which will require some custom work done to it.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Wonderful additions to this project.  Any chance in the future of a "group photo" of the entire cast ?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Georges the Villiers, the Duke of Buckingham, was the British prime minister and a personal friend of his Sovereign. He was to British politics what cardinal Richelieu was to France's. Being responsible for waging war on France and rumored to be the recipient of the French queen's affections, he was no favourite of King Louis. His clandestine visits to France to see the queen make him a good candidate to build a separate faction around.

Pictured here with some members of his personal bodyguard, on those sneaky visits to Paris that are described in Dumas' novel.

The model is King & Country's interpretation of the character in 65mm, and a very nice one at that.

A clandestine appointment with the queen in the park. He'll only be able to steal a few minutes, but it will be worth it.

The two guards in the group shot (with spear and sword) have been shown earlier as part of the witchfinder faction, but with their colorful looks I've switched them over to the Duke of Buckingham faction, which makes a nice contrast to the more drab characters in the witchfinder group.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Wonderful additions to this project.  Any chance in the future of a "group photo" of the entire cast ?

I'll try to take one next time I have them all out. As I don't have the cabinets yet that I have my eye on for displaying them, it takes some time to unpack them all from their individual little boxes. :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Unique collection!  :-*
A labor of love and zeal! Congrats!
I don't stop visiting and visiting again this thread!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
I'm considering partly repainting the figures in the Witchfinder faction to set them apart more from the Buckingham faction. Mostly, I would paint the sleeves and trousers in darker colours (maybe even black) and possibly the buff coats in grey. On the one hand, the figures are great the way they are so I'm a bit reluctant, but on the other hand, it would cement their new identity and take them out of the ECW where they originated.

As a reminder, I'm talking about the 4 figures to the left here:

Opinions? Yay or nay?

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: The Three Musketeers - Larger than Life! - Update 11/12 - Duke of Buckingham
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:42 PM »
Yay. But very subtle (either dark/black sleeves, the variation in buff coats or even a little symbol on them- painted or a field symbol, etc).
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Three Musketeers - Larger than Life! - Update 11/12 - Duke of Buckingham
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2018, 03:28:37 PM »
They are so nicely painted as they are, would be a shame to retouch them.  If so, maybe just the variation in the buffcoat (darkening it a bit).

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Three Musketeers - Larger than Life! - Update 12/12 - Milady de Winter
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2018, 03:37:23 PM »
Milady de Winter is Cardinal Richelieu's confidante, spy and occasional assassin. A woman of remarkable beauty, intellect and resourcefulness, but also cold blooded and ruthless when needed. It's hard to imagine that in a former life she was the countess de la Fère, in other words, the wife of the musketeer Athos...

Pictured here in a comfortable outfit destined for travelling and clandestine operations, about to torture an apple to reveal all it's secrets.

And a close-up for no good reason:

Having a casual conversation with a young musketeer-wannabe.

"You're not dangerous, you're beautiful" - "Not the sharpest sword in the armoury, are you?"

Getting orders from the Cardinal:

"It's on my order and for the good of the State..." - "Can you write this down?"

She's not Rochefort's biggest fan though.

"Why don't we go somewhere more private?" - "Why don't we pretend that this apple is your... other sword?"

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »
What a fantastic collection you have - and a marvelous venue in which they can operate.  Bravo.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
Thanks!

The accessoires are all from the Lemax christmas collection. The ornate stone railing is unpainted hard plastic and will get a suitable paintjob eventually.