Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:47:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] A song of Ice & Fire (CMoN)  (Read 8403 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [Kickstarter] A song of Ice & Fire (CMoN)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
It all looks quite good, but that is what it is designed to do. It seems quite expensive too.

I don't like the materials used having had some from previous games so even though I love the idea, it's not for me.

I think amalgamating lots of the different boxes of plastics like captain blood has done and using Dragon Rampant could be quite a fun project.

Dodge 

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 01:05:43 PM »
I think amalgamating lots of the different boxes of plastics like captain blood has done and using Dragon Rampant could be quite a fun project.

I agree. Using all the plastic kits out there really does allow you to build pretty much whatever vision of ASoIaF that you have in your head.
And it is much more personal too.

There are some nice figures in there, though, but the material would bother me.
I have Blood Rage and would not be happy painting the human-sized figures for gaming.
Too bendy for my liking.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 01:33:50 PM »

There are some nice figures in there, though, but the material would bother me.
I have Blood Rage and would not be happy painting the human-sized figures for gaming.
Too bendy for my liking.

I got blood rage and Conan and I'm sort of Hmmmm on the figures more so the Blood Rage ones, impulsive purchases  :-I which I have sort of come to regret  :)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 04:21:51 PM »
I got blood rage and Conan and I'm sort of Hmmmm on the figures more so the Blood Rage ones, impulsive purchases  :-I which I have sort of come to regret  :)

Oh, I do not regret getting Blood Rage as the game is good fun, something a little different to the norm (for me, anyway) and the larger figures may see service in my Norse faction for OGAM.
Which is an nice added bonus.
 ;)

Offline powerfrog99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 08:56:42 AM »
I am wondering a little bit about the nearly no interest in this project here in LAF ???

Is it because there are so many "selfmade" (and highly sophisticated) projects by some members here?

I love the Perry minis, but I also find the quite consistent army looks of this KS very tempting.

The basic box has now reached the 1$ per mini level (like Blood Rage), so I put in some money. I have to admit that the future single boxes RRP with 35$ is for too high for my liking given the number of minis and the limited no of sculpts...

cheers Thomas

These days it's Wargods and Warhammer Armies Project I am working on !

Check out my gallery here on LAF
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2521

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »
I also find the quite consistent army looks of this KS very tempting

Same here, I'm in after a rather fortuitous tax rebate!   :)

The exclusive to Kickstarter minis do look rather nice. I've added the Tully Sworn Shields and the Bolton Cutthroats units to my pledge.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »
In the end I am out because the scale is off with my existing miniatures, because they are pre-assembled, and because I didn't see anything in the rules I particularily like. The figures look just fine, they will make a nice looking army but I'd rather spend my money on a few other things right now.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »
I am wondering a little bit about the nearly no interest in this project here in LAF ???

Is it because there are so many "selfmade" (and highly sophisticated) projects by some members here?

I love the Perry minis, but I also find the quite consistent army looks of this KS very tempting.

I'd say a little column A, a little column B.

Seeing CaptainBlood and HVM (Frank? I forget his actual username) and countless others make gorgeous projects using the available historical and fantasy plastics kitbashed together is certainly inspirational, and Perry miniatures are definitely popular around here (I happen to love them as well  lol ). 

But I also fall squarely opposite you in regards to the "consistent army look" side of things.  I read the books first, and I also love medieval history, which impacted how I saw the books in my head.  I just can't square that with a feudal medieval army having true "uniforms".  Even the Romans (and later the Byzantine Romans) probably weren't as uniform as people used to think.  This forum seems to attract gamers who like conversions and kitbashing, so that's the most likely opinion you'll see on here.  I saw a post about this KS on reddit and it was much less critical.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »
 I have went in on this one.

Quite a few good stretch goals unlocked and some nice looking units.

The Lannister crossbowmen have been added to buy now.

The next SG figure is Tyrion in armour.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 03:41:09 AM »
I absolutely love the Tully sworn shields.

I will likely go in for one of everything, miniature-wise. There are some stellar conversions, for sure, but I know myself enough to guess that there is no way I will ever convert an entire army of starks or lannisters, etc.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:44:01 AM by Timbor »
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 05:20:52 AM »
They're just not my vision of the forces portrayed in the books. The HBO series pushes the overall look a little away from medieval towards fantasy. These push it even further. They have a very definite fantastical, over-ornate look to the armour which owes more to fantasy wargaming visual cues and cliches, and less to the world described by George RR Martin.
In short, they have a very definite look of their own, which is going to be incompatible with the GoT figures I've already gOt  ;)

Also, if they're the same material as Blood Rage, then they're going to be too bendy. The assorted trolls, beasts and monsters were splendid models. The figures representing 28mm men were (IMHO) a bit meh with soft detail and bendy spears.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 09:35:15 AM »
They're just not my vision of the forces portrayed in the books. The HBO series pushes the overall look a little away from medieval towards fantasy. These push it even further. They have a very definite fantastical, over-ornate look to the armour which owes more to fantasy wargaming visual cues and cliches, and less to the world described by George RR Martin.
In short, they have a very definite look of their own, which is going to be incompatible with the GoT figures I've already gOt  ;)

Also, if they're the same material as Blood Rage, then they're going to be too bendy. The assorted trolls, beasts and monsters were splendid models. The figures representing 28mm men were (IMHO) a bit meh with soft detail and bendy spears.

I totally agree. IMO, and noone needs to share it :), GoT in the books was very much a true (high) Middle Ages setting with the odd dragon tossed in. This KS has too much fantasy (berserkers with two axes, really guys?) thrown in.

Plus: I do have the Conan KS and mus say materialwise I can go with big monsters, but masses of clone troopers can be a pest to paint.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »
Lack of pose variety, material used and cost charged have killed it for me. At this stage it's about $1 per figure, which is not bad, but not for single pose (okay three poses) infantry per unit. I am tempted a bit as I think it would make a fine Dragon Rampant project, but I can get far more for my money elsewhere. Blood Rage was a similar game, and I paid about £65 at the time. Even in dollar terms, this is at least 50% more expensive. I guess that's mostly down to license fee. Those are my reasons for not backing.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 02:42:38 PM »
The price (edging to $1 per figure) seems quite reasonable to me. They have a strong fantasy feel, but fantasy is what we mainly play.  They are very nice sculpts.

Been a while since I read the books, but I did not envision a historical/medieval look when I was reading them, not with descriptions of ornate helmets, colored armor, etc.  Admittedly, those descriptions of super-flossy heavy armor were for knights from powerful families, not from rank-and-file troopies. 

I will likely never use them for the game itself, but I think they will be seeing action in our D&D campaign (once painted up).

-Michael

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 03:11:41 PM »
Lack of pose variety, material used and cost charged have killed it for me. At this stage it's about $1 per figure, which is not bad, but not for single pose (okay three poses) infantry per unit. I am tempted a bit as I think it would make a fine Dragon Rampant project, but I can get far more for my money elsewhere. Blood Rage was a similar game, and I paid about £65 at the time. Even in dollar terms, this is at least 50% more expensive. I guess that's mostly down to license fee. Those are my reasons for not backing.
Blood Rage had half or less the number of figures here. It was also a board game whereas this is a true table top wargame. Definitely dissimilar. Not sure if that makes any difference to you.

I totally agree about the pose variety. That is one of the bigger gripes I have. Why have 2 poses for characters that I can only use one of? Why not another pose for the rank and file? Kinda annoying.

My Blood Rage figures are all pretty good in the detail department. Maybe you have some bad casts? Bendy spears are the easiest thing in the world to fix. If the boil and reposition method doesn't fix them, replacing them with wire is easy enough.

Just as an aside did you folks realize that GRRM is approving all the designs? These are as official as can be with regard to the author's intent. Now whether they closely match the descriptions in the books is another matter...

I'm in on this one, personally. Even if I never get a game with them, the figures will have use in several other skirmish games and RPG sessions.

~Eric