Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to add images to posts - 2017 Edition  (Read 13328 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
How to add images to posts - 2017 Edition
« on: August 05, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
Hi all,

due to the recent little Photobucket spat, many of our users have been enquiring on how to add images to posts. Since the old reference thread had become obsolete, rather than updating it laboriously, we decided to create a new thread outlining the process on how to add images to a message posting.

Basically, there are two main options for adding images - attachments to posts and linking to external sources.

Legal note:

Do note that uploading images to which you do not hold rights (including by attachment and hotlinking/directly embedding an image from an external source to a thread) is essentially a copyright violation under German law and may result in legal proceedings against you, in which case we are obliged to remove the violation as soon as we become aware of it and may, in specific circumstances, be obliged to provide user information.

For this reason, do only add or link to images to which you hold rights or have been authorised by the rights holder, for example by a Creative Commons license (in which case you may have to list credits as required by the license) or by the rights holder enabling sharing functions on the site on which they are hosted. When in doubt, do not directly embed the image, but add a link to the page containing it.

File Sizes and Traffic

When using forum storage options such as the attachment and gallery functions, remember that large images take up storage space and increase traffic volume (i.e. generate costs for the forum). For this reason, please consider resizing and possibly cropping the images prior to uploading to reduce size and improve the "thematic focus" of the image.

Option 1: Using attachments

The simplest form of adding images is using the attachment function. This you can find under your message window as you type up your post. Simply click the link "Additional Options".

Next to "Attach", click the "Browse" button and select the image you wish to add. Do note that the maximum image file size per individual image is 1500 KB, or roughly 1.5 MB. You may add up to 8 images to a given post.

Once you have attached your chosen image(s) to the post and have finished composing the text, click the button "Post" below as you would for a regular message. The attached images will be displayed beneath your message. This option is available to all forum users.

Option 2: Embedding image URLs using BBcode

The other option to include images is to store them at an external source where you can generate an Image URL and add this to posts. The main advantage of this method is that it allows you to intersperse images into a text, say, for a battle report or a lengthy piece on a project or technique you wish to share.

First, you will require an image hosting facility.
  • There are various companies who provide such services, but  many nowadays disallow hotlinking images in the first place or charge you to hotlink your own. I would invite users to provide links to web services which you can use (for free, maybe advert-funded or for a user fee). Do note that Photobucked and Dropbox have specifically disabled this function, whereas others rule it out in their Terms and Conditions while not inhibiting it in a technical way, so you might be violating the T&Cs if you do so.

Once you have uploaded the image, you will need to get the image URL. For this, open the page where you can access the image in question. Some services may provide a dialog box where you can directly copy the image URL (Photobucket used to do). If not, right-click the image so the context menu opens. Unless disabled by the site, your browser should show an option to "copy image location", "get image URL" or something similar; the screenshot below was made using Firefox.

Next, paste the address into your post and highlight/select it. Then, click the little picture-frame button found above the post you wish to create.

This adds two "image tags" to the start and end of the highlighted text. Make sure the entire URL is included, from "http" to the image extension, usually ".jpg" or another compressed format suitable for web use.

You can check if your images display correctly by clicking the "Preview" button.

Once you are finished, post the completed message and the images should display.

That's it pretty much. The process should be similar, if not identical for most hosting services. The steps for getting the image URLs may be different under other OS and browsers.

If you have specific questions or wish to add information such as content hosting services which allow hotlinking, please reply to this thread.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
Re: How to add images to posts - 2017 Edition
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
I've just given posting an image a try (first time) using a external link.  How does one go about resizing the imagine's footprint?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
I've just given posting an image a try (first time) using a external link.  How does one go about resizing the imagine's footprint?

Hi,

once you post an image using the
Code: [Select]
[IMG][/IMG] tags, it should add to the first tag a width and height parameter that you can modify in the Edit Post mode.

For example, this is a piece of code from the post above:

Code: [Select]
[img width=1000 height=105]http://leadadventureforum.com/gallery/29/140_05_08_17_4_59_08.jpg[/img]

By changing the width and height values, you can resize the display size of the image. I seem to recall the forum caps images at 1000 pixels, but you can reduce them if they are too big.

Offline bermanj

• Bookworm
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 02:32:30 AM »
Well that's easy enough - thanks!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 06:35:53 AM »
Howdy, any suggestion for a image sharing site?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
    • Will's Tabletop Projects
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 03:55:01 PM »
I just discovered this part of the forum, so forgive me asking this question in multiple places.

If you have specific questions or wish to add information such as content hosting services which allow hotlinking, please reply to this thread.

Like a lot of us here, I have a separate project blog I also post to. It's WordPress which I run through a host on my own domain (rather than on WordPress.com). I host my images there and then link to them in my project threads there.

However, I am finding that the images I am posting to my 15mm Renaissance Skirmish Project thread (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123140.15) appear on my desktop browser, but do not show up on mobile.

Here's what I see on my phone (uploading to Imgur to try to circumvent the issue):

And yet here's how those photos appear, just fine, on desktop:

Is anyone else running into this? If so, does anyone have an idea on how to solve it?
Focused on 6mm pike and shot and 28mm Frostgrave
Blogging about my projects at Tabletop.WillPhillips.org

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 05:24:23 PM »
I can see the images perfectly fine using Firefox for Android both on a smartphone and a tablet. Could it be that your smartphone browser has a script blocker enabled that prevents the images from being displayed, since they come from a remote host?

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
    • Will's Tabletop Projects
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 02:29:07 AM »
I can see the images perfectly fine using Firefox for Android both on a smartphone and a tablet. Could it be that your smartphone browser has a script blocker enabled that prevents the images from being displayed, since they come from a remote host?

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

I should have mentioned that this is in Chrome in Android.

I downloaded Firefox and, sure enough, they show up there.

I've no idea about a script blocker, but seeing that other images from remote hosts on the site are showing up.... I don't know what to make of it.

Offline wtjcom

• Student
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2021, 01:53:38 AM »
I am seeing posts where previously embedded images now show as broken links when viewed in desktop Chrome. But the linked images are still in the related website directory, and the entire post shows fine in desktop Internet Explorer and iOS Safari (originally looked fine in Chrome also). I checked Chrome settings for the computers in question and both are allowing image loading and have given no troubles in other websites.

Trying to create a new post does the same thing.

Anything else I'm missing?
Thanks.