Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 09:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685076
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone still play Empire of The Dead?  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Benny

• Librarian
Re: Anyone still play Empire of The Dead?
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 08:18:13 AM »
Funnily enough i have a game organised for tomorrow night. I like the ruleset but the problem is with all games, new ones come along with new miniatures to paint. The lure of the new shiny things has always taken me away from good games that i enjoy. But after the dust settles i always find my way back to the good games.

I think the scattershot worked for EotD. Like it or not, the biggest and most commercial games on the market (looking at you Warmachine and WH40,000) have very big scattershot approaches to the styles and themes of their armies, from Ancient Egyptian robots, to Hippy Space Elves to Space Knights and Mad Max Green skinned barbarians and even after all that fans keep mutating those themes to make new things again.
For EotD people were asking for extra rules for playing in Africa, Asia and on Mars "John Carter" style, so it seems the scattershot approach wasn't reaching far enough for fans.

If people felt it was getting too diverse a game you could just trim it back to suit the theme you want. You want just Gothic Horror? Keep it to the main book only and replace the steampunk weapons of the Gentleman's club with holly or cursed weapons/artifacts.
You want more steampunk? Don't allow Werewolves, Vampires, Brotherhood and other Gothic Horror stuff and you end up with Clickers, Gentlman's club, Criminal Gangs and Nemo and the crew of the Nautilus.
As with all of these types of games, if there is too much you can always take it out. Its harder to make new stuff from scratch and stick it in.

I think its just a case of newer shinier games came along and EotD just got forgotten. But i still get asked at my local gaming club once every few months when im going to pull out the terrain and run some more of it.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Re: Anyone still play Empire of The Dead?
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »
EotD - a great ruleset supported by a wonderful line of miniatures! The only trouble is, so to speak, that combination is no longer uncommon.

I suppose another issue may be, there's not a ton of affordable Victorian terrain on the market - in contrast to, say, Old West stuff (for Drac's America).