Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:22:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mother Hydra spaceship interior - machinery 31/08 p5  (Read 8514 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Maybe Mother Hydra - spaceship interior - cargo! 03/09/2017
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2017, 07:11:03 PM »
Wordy update, but I'll keep it brief, although it's important.

1) New technology - I have used/will be using the following which are all new to me: printing my own transfers; using transfer fluid instead of water; using my not-rivet punch; using a bone saw (actually my new plastic section saw!).

2) Infinite size - I already mentioned it's growing bigger; but it will be bigger still. As I am adding a teleporter room, a docking bay, a shuttle bay and the entrance to a holosuite the crew can go anywhere in time and space, so my Germanic barbarians are now part of the Mother Hydra project - as is everything else!

3) Nurgle has patience - yes, I fell and bought the codex, which has little to do with this, but I am learning not to rush things (like good old Nurgle), and am waiting patiently for my matt varnish instead of trying to find an alternative which would inevitably make a mess.

4) I am designing launch rails for space mines; and 13 space mines.  :D
Of course a boarding action with raiders trying to steal/sabotage/otherwise blow up the mines is essential...

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Maybe Mother Hydra - spaceship interior - waffle 19/09/2017
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2017, 07:57:59 PM »
Worthy wordy update!  :o

All points are solid and sound, keep us updated on the progress :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Maybe Mother Hydra - spaceship interior - waffle 19/09/2017
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
Back with some pics at last.
Some months ago we replaced the shower in the spare bathroom - the old one was REALLY battered.
I kept the more useful bits of course, because I knew the Mother Hydra would need a cargo handling gantry:

Remind me a bit of those coin operated crane machines where you have to grab a prize!
Here's a closer look. The pincers are from the Ad Mech vehicle set, and this is a bit I didn't use. On the back, barely visible, is the power pack for the grabber, in a former life the starter from a fluorescent tube. We no longer use these, but I did have to keep a few handy, just in case...

That android is looking worried, and I can't blame him - if the AI of the gripper works selects its 'target' by colour!
I kept the transfers on these containers muted, and I just realised I forgot to reapply some chipping damage to them.

I also assembled the docking port. The base is part of a Mazda hubcap. The grey bit with black blotches is part of a discarded spray can. In the middle is a cat food tube lid, and the 6 grey bits come from the Deadzone scenery sprues.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
Just found this thread!

There's some first class junk modelling going on here - looking forward to seeing how it develops
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Brilliant additions, mate.
The use of those shower parts is inspired and nice choices have gone into that Docking wotsit, it looks great.
I like that Android fella too.
 8) 8) 8)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Just found this thread!

There's some first class junk modelling going on here - looking forward to seeing how it develops
Thanks - the downside is that it's junk mixed with plastic parts, not 100% junk. The up side is that for once I've been keeping this project going and not stopping after a couple of weeks.

Brilliant additions, mate.
The use of those shower parts is inspired and nice choices have gone into that Docking wotsit, it looks great.
I like that Android fella too.
 8) 8) 8)
Thank you - I am guessing you recognised him  :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Thank you - I am guessing you recognised him  :D

I thought that I recognised him from here....

:D ;)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:43:29 PM by Mason »

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
That certainly looks familiar to me now...!
Hope the logo on the box doesn't infringe copyright!  :D

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Apologies for just finding this.

Very impressed so far and cannot wait for your next sample pics...

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Great update, nice to see MH project progressing!  8)

I have amassed different bits for a similar type of projects but I'm guessing it will be years before I get to work on them  o_o

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
All this is pure genius. I'm noting everything down... ;) :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Thanks guys.
There are lessons to be learnt from the shower experience:
1) Home maintenance is not a chore but an opportunity. That shower thingy came with the house when we bought it, and replacing it was a chore (I just couldn't get the old one off!), but it was well worth it to see the brand new shower in place to save this for a rainy day (and it WAS rainy yesterday here!)
2) Plan for stashing stuff away. Storage is your friend*, and not just for finished stuff. I nearly threw this away twice, and am now relieved I didn't!
3) Problems of storage of bits are relieved when you use them, and you can surprise your spouse/partner/cat with liberated space.**

*I almost wrote 'fiend' and corrected it, but I realise this could be the case too.
**Corollary: you now need space to store the work in progress, and eventually the completed thingy.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Great update!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
It's alive.....  :o

Just used up four tins of spray on the thing. Well ok, two of them were small one....
A bit of detailing is next.
Over the past year (less a month!) the concept changed a bit - as I plan to use this as the original Mother Hydra but also for other settings (read Necromunda or Kill Team or even something Star-Warsy) I decided to leave the pallet without anything stuck, with furnishings and fittings being movable, especially as I want to use this with two very different aesthetic approaches: standard sci-fi and grimdark.
No pics yet, just resurrecting the thread to show it's still not dead.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Maybe Mother Hydra - it's alive! - a spot of projectomancy
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2018, 02:39:10 PM »
Good to see that you are still doing this.
 :D