Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:05:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia - (May 2021: Dark Age Ringfort)  (Read 17048 times)

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Re: Retrohammer Chaos Cornunopia
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
HeroQuest Quest – Chaos Warrior II

A quickfire hobby challenge for the Scale Creep Peeps:

Paint a charmingly basic model from HeroQuest
    nO cRaZy CoNvErSiOnS
    Replacing the sausagey rectangle base is encouraged.

I picked a Chaos Warrior. To the 7-year-old boy learning words from game components, but not pronunciations: a “Chouse” Warrior.

“Hoots mon!  There’s a chouse louse about this house!”

Theottovonbismark has already shown off Slambo and the 4E plastic Chouse … ahem … Chaos Warrior.  Here’s the HeroQuest dude alongside Battlemasters and Legend of Zagor Chaos dudes, for no reason other than to showcase the breadth of my vintage Chaos.

Prejudiced against gorefs, means he’s a gorefist.

Otto’s updating of this old plastic has freehand and a jazzy base.  My version is painted so tamely in comparison. I’ve gone for the red-and-metal scheme which you might think is a homage to the original HeroQuest art, but is really so he ties into my 1980s Chaos Warband. Being a 1989er *I think* he is actually the newest miniature.   Everything is relative.

“Oi, HeroQuest, you’re so young I bet you don’t remember POGs!”

After modern-style crisp highlighting you start to realise the limitations of the miniature – a combination of 1989 plastic technology and 27 years of man-handling (“manchild-handling”?).  So to hide the dalrymples I painted some textures: sponge-chipping the armour; fluting on the horns; notching the axe blade; and blood-spatter over the finished piece.  I’ve recently become aware that competition painters like different textures on a miniature to provide interest and contrast, and to showcase their skills.

Judging by the spatter he dealt a nasty axe wound.

The texture I’m fondest of at the moment is the blood-spats.  After a lot of trial and error with a Blood Bowl team recently I’ve hit upon the following method: load up a tiny brush with your blood-effect paint of choice, put it right in front of your lips, and blow.  You instantly get realistic spines, satellite spatters, cast-off patterns and other terms I’m just regurgitating from a CSI episode.

Guess this means he’s the Herald of the ApocaLIPS.
(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 10:49:30 AM »
Gorgeous work. It hurts a bit to see old classics being cut up ( I would do that only with already damaged ones ) but both conversios and paintjobs are superb. Love your reds...
Leadhead

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 11:05:45 AM »

After a lot of trial and error with a Blood Bowl team recently I’ve hit upon the following method: load up a tiny brush with your blood-effect paint of choice, put it right in front of your lips, and blow. 

I'm afraid Lauren Bacall was slightly sexier!

Brilliant work on those chaos warriors. The blood splatters are tremendous.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 05:33:32 AM »
Echoing the others, excellent, great reds, and really nice revival of an old plastic miniature.

You may feel it has limitations but you have done a great job with it.

And nice to see the other older minis well painted to!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 08:04:07 PM »
Very nice work. Your red is amazing. Nice blood splatter as well.

Gorgeous work. It hurts a bit to see old classics being cut up
I look at classics that I had when they were new and when I wasn't bothered about chopping them up for bits and pieces... and I just shudder

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »

I still like that old Chaos Warrior sculpt all these years later.  Thats a gorgeous paint job too, as mentioned already the red is lush.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
There is some wonderful old skool work in this thread.
I love the conversions, modern plastic heresy included.
 :-* :-*

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
Thanks Duncan.  I'm much less fussy about cutting up old models nowadays than I have been.  Normally if it's damaged or I've got a second copy of the casting I'm happy.  I do think that the old slotta tabs are always worth keeping on, and I make an effort to burn a slot in the new 32mm bases or build up around it with basing material to keep it intact.

Hobgoblin – I'll wear lip gloss next time and see if I draw equal with Lauren.

I'm going to cut up a load of the HeroQuest Chaos Warriors soon to make get some variations in the warband.

Chaos Thugs are a Warhammer range released in several batches between 1988 and 1991.  Games Workshop stamped them out of existence in 1994, omitting them from Warhammer Armies: Chaos.  Thugs are firmly anchored solely in Warhammer’s past, quintessential incarnations of Oldhammer, meaning they command decent prices on the collector’s market.

I regret going with the red hair on these figures – it worked on the rightmost guy, who was the first I painted, but looks a a bit clownlike on the other two.  Don’t paint people with bright red eyebrows.  Even Ronald McDonald doesn’t have red eyebrows.

Chaos Thugs are great fun to paint as they’re all individuals that the sculptors packed with weird and unique details.

This Thug has hair that’s long one side and short the other – and one eyebrow bushy and the other shaven off.  He also comes with a severed head at his belt – there’s some back story to how he decapitated someone with just a bludgeoning weapon.

This Thug has both his weapons, the business-end of his “horseman’s pick” and the pommel of his sheathed dagger, shaped like bird heads.  Perhaps it was a subtle Tzeentch reference?  I also like how his one scavenged kneepad has a leering face sculpted on it.

Pazyryk  Banefire and the Thugs in the Matityahu Temple.

The Thugs will get on well with the Talisman Warrior and Barbarian as they’re all half-naked men who enjoy shaving their chests.  The Talisman Chaos Warrior is the unit champion, as that’s how it worked in the Warhammer 3rd edition army lists.  Next off I’m on the hunt for more Thugs to make a modestly sized raiding party, with a full command group.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »
I think they look fantastic - red hair and all!

The chaos thugs hark back a bit to the earlier Citadel chaos warriors, who weren't always heavily armoured (or even properly dressed). I felt, though, that the thug/marauder/warrior/champion hierarchy - with increasing amounts of armour - always felt a bit orderly for chaos. So your Talisman figures work really well as heavyweight chaotic types who aren't plate-armoured.

On a related note, the chaos army lists in Warhammer tended to systematise too much: the lines between beastmen and chaos warriors, for example, didn't seem as blurry as they should have been. Realms of Chaos went a long way to correcting this, though.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 12:28:28 PM »
Love those Chaos Thugs!
Some of the best old skool lunatics around and you have done a cracking job on them.
I love your painting style.

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 10:26:22 AM »
Thanks Hobgoblin!  A lot of the old Chaos Warriors that you can see in the first Citadel Catalogue look a bit thuggy to me, and several of the Thugs would pass as Warriors.  I am guilty of pigeon-holing with my thinking there.

Thanks Mason!  Here's some more.

The Citadel Miniatures Chaos Thug range is melting pot of influences and ideas.  Unlike Games Workshop’s modern Chaos Marauders, who are uniformly bearded barbarians, the classic Thug range had odd chaps with mullets, Saracen-flavoured archers and even stray ninjas.

Hot as thuggery.

It makes the individual Thugs fun to paint, as they’re each full of unique details. The mullet man has a pair of horns poking out his hairstyle.  The archer has a leering face kneepad.  All three have plumped for asymmetrical trousers.

The ninja has a ninja throwing knife for stealth kills, but today he’s chosen to fight with the less subtle morning star.  Maybe he wields that stealthily too, assassinating targets with a silent swing of the massive spiky ball.

Pazyryk Banefire’s Thugs sacking the town of Æbbe’s Hill.

Having a single archer in the otherwise-melee unit slightly bothers me, but given the chaotic appearance of the the unit I can cope with it in games of Age of Sigmar and Dragon Rampant.  The mix of troop types also gives me a nice selection of models to pick for Frostgrave.  In time he will split off to found a Chaos Thug mob with bows, made up of a mix of the Battle Masters plastic Chaos Thug and the chunky punky Marauder Chaos Thug range from the early 1990s.

More of my miniatures at http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/

Offline TheHoodedMan

• Schoolboy
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 02:59:44 PM »
A very nice project. I like it very much.
You did a great job on the models and the basing. The modern and detailed basing fits very well with the classic miniatures and the color choices are beautiful as well.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2017, 09:11:47 PM »
Pretty.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 10:13:02 PM »
I am loving your take on all of these old classics.

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 05:31:06 PM »
Brimstone Horrors!  The cheeky pairs of scampering bastards you get when you kill a Blue Horror.  I’ve painted four sets of these quarter-daemons, but with an Oldhammer twist.

And it’s all in how you mix the two.
And it starts just where the light exists.

Ever since 1989, Pink Horrors split into a pair of Blue Horrors when killed – it was the Tzeentch lesser daemon gimmick.  But when Silver Tower arrived in 2016, the GIMMICK ALSO SPLIT IN TWO as Blue Horrors started to split into pairs of Brimstone (or Yellow) Horrors.  This troubled me for a little while, as there are several generations of vintage Pink and Blue Horror miniatures with no corresponding Brimstone Horrors if you want to use them with modern Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40,000 rules.  But then I remembered the tiny Epic-scale Pink Horrors from 1992.

Do your demons, do they ever let you go?

Epic was nominally a 6mm game, but these Horrors were hilariously overscaled and make great 28mm familiars – as I discovered way way back in 2010 when I painted Inconstantine Bowie, Champion of Tzeentch.

Turn and face the strange
Ch-ch-changes

It has taken me a while to work out why yellow was chosen as the colour for the new tiny Horrors.  The answer is in this passage from White Dwarf 113 (May 1989), which highlights the importance of colours in the early Warhammer lore.

Tzeentch is the Changer of Ways and, true to his nature, he has more than a single colour. The Pink and Blue Horrors, Daemons of Tzeentch, use magic of their own actual colour, reflecting the changing forces of their master as they turn from pink to blue. However, aside from the Pink Horrors who are associated with the Amethyst College, Tzeentch’s colours are very bright shades of blue and yellow. These colours are often dominant, though by no means exclusive, in the worship of Tzeentch. The two colours are particularly significant because they are the province of the Golden and Celestial Colleges which lie either side of the green magic of Tzeentch’s adversary Nurgle. A follower of Tzeentch could therefore be inferior or superior to Nurgle depending on his colour.

I really like how daemons align to the Colleges of Magic, and will use it as an excuse to model some Golden and Celestial Wizards to be corrupted by Tzeentch.

Wave your hands in the air like you don’t care.

These newly painted Horrors join my existing 1980s Kev Adams Horror force I started 9 years ago. I’ve rebased these minis onto 32mm round bases which means they don’t have any of their toes poking over the edge.  They’ve seen plenty of gaming action down the years so there were a fair few chips to repaint.  I really enjoyed the restoration; it was like catching up with old friends, or wearing an old t-shirt from back when you were 14.

New and old paintjobs together mean I’ve got all 10 of the various daemon incarnations needed to play Silver Tower.

Rainbow in the daaaark!

Coming soon, more vintage lead substitutes for the modern plastic pieces in Silver Tower – some of which you may’ve already spotted on the Ninjabread Workbench.

Anyway, more of my minis at http://www.ninjabread.co.uk