Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:46:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia - (May 2021: Dark Age Ringfort)  (Read 17053 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Retrohammer Chaos Cornunopia
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 06:57:09 PM »
Superb brushwork, absurd miniatures....
 :-* :-*

Great paintwork on all of them, especially Bowie!

Could never get my head around those Horrors, though.
To me, they look like they belong on something like the Teletubbies or something similar.
 o_o o_o

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 08:37:18 PM »
Great stuff. lovely painting.

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 08:49:24 PM »
Noice. One can never be accused of excessive vibrancy when painting Horrors.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:32 PM »
Top job  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
Move over Penn & Teller, move over Siegfried & Roy – a new magical double act is in town.  Coming all the way from the pyramids of the Old World are twin brothers Lapis & Lazuli  – fantastical Wizards of Light.

Masters of the mysterious and occasional caberet performers.

This magical duo are going to be the Kairic Adepts in my vintage Silver Tower project – where I replace all the 2016 boardgame pieces with Citadel Miniatures from about 20 years previous.  Like the Brimstone Horrors I painted previously, 1990s era Warhammer didn’t have Kairic Adepts, but did have Egyptian-flavoured magic users in the form of Light Wizards. And the 1990s Light Wizards also had Acolytes, which are perfect for Silver Tower Kairic Acolytes.

These Light Wizards turned traitor from the College of Light alongside their Patriarch – Egrimm van Horstmann.  They have found sanctuary from the Empire in a Silver Tower of Tzeentch in my personal Warhammer canon.  Egrimm himself will be big boss of the Silver Tower, as he was Tzeentch’s favoured servant in the 20 years before Gaunt Summoners were invented.

Lapis & Lazuli supported by Blue Horrors in their Silver Tower.

Games Workshop originally released the plastic Light Wizard (on the right in the photos) as the High Priest in the 1994 Talisman expansion Dungeon of Doom.  He later appeared as one of the eight free wizard miniatures on 1995’s White Dwarf 186.  Getting a Warhammer character miniature in plastic was an insane novelty in the 1990s, as plastic was normally reserved only for the massed ranks of mono-posed regiments.

Here’s Lazuli with the other classic 3rd edition Talisman miniatures I’ve painted to date.

Lazuli and Pazyryk Banefire in the ruins of a non-metallic tower.

Coming soon on Ninjabread: more vintage lead miniatures to populate my time-warped Silver Tower.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
Re: Curis' Chaos Cornucopia (March 2018: Renegade Light Wizards)
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 11:43:10 AM »
Wonderful painting, and the Lapis & Lazuli brothers made me chuckle.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 12:14:58 PM »
Wonderful brushwork.
Those eyes!

Good to see these figures again, I wish that I had some, they are nice sculpts.
I did have the Acolytes back in the day.
They were converted to have pistols and became psykers in an old Guard army.
No idea what happened to them...

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 11:11:05 AM »
Thanks Donald!

Mason – if you sold your Acolytes on eBay in the last few years I may've been the one that bought them.  Mine had all been converted by their previous owner into 40K figures. I reckon it was the most popular way to make cultists or psykers in the early to mid 1990s.

I like to think of Light Wizards as jobbing professionals and their Acolytes as bumbling apprentices.  Here's a bumble of Light Acolytes – one of the obscurest units in Warhammer of editions past.

Left to right: Donkor, Aswad, Llam-Cheops, Wiss Qeb, Khontar and Wankh.

Two poses of Acolyte were released in April 1993 alongside the Light Wizard on foot. Empire player could buy them in units of five at 25 points to accompany a Light Wizard.  Rules were that if you deployed the five Acolytes in a pyramid formation (Light Wizards being all Egpytian and therefore pyramid-themed) with the Light Wizard at the apex you got an extra Winds of Magic card.  Now, I read "deployed in pyramid formation" and think this:

NAILED IT.  One bonus Winds of Magic please.

But no, they didn't mean human pyramid formation, they mean 2-D triangle formation, as you can see in the iconic Gathering of Might battle report photo below from White Dwarf 181 (1995).  This unit in this battle report puzzled child-Curis as Warhammer Armies: The Empire didn't contain any rules for it – it's only now in 2018 that I know they had to be conjured up from the pages of the Warhammer Battle Magic supplement.

Spot the pyramid.

The majority of my Light Acolytes had been rescued from someone that got halfway to converting them into Necromunda gangers or Warhammer 40,000 cultists – their hands and weapons had been hacked away and replaced with autopistols, stubguns and the like.  This meant there was no guilt at despoiling vintage miniatures for the sake of bringing their weaponry in line with the rules of the modern Warhammer game.

Lazuli spearheading the official and far less silly pyramid formation.

Yes!  Modern Warhammer!  (As if the 32mm rounds bases weren't enough of a clue.)  These figures have been specifically modelled as Kairic Acolytes for Silver Tower: two with hand weapon and shield, two with double-handed weapons and two with pairs of hand weapons.

I originally restored the Acolytes back to Warhammer Fantasy with contemporaneous 1990s Citadel weaponry, but it looked bad.  There was no Egyptian weaponry (it wasn't until 2003 that the Tomb Kings range appeared), and so I suspended my Citadel-components-only rule and bought some WarGods of Ægyptus bits from Crocodile Games.  This does annoy the Citadel purist in me, and to get back to sleep I tell myself Crocodile's Chris Fitzpatrick did a stint sculpting for Games Workshop.

Silver Tower madness at Knavecon 2018.  Pat, Bruce, cheetor and yours truly looming over our various creations.

To get even more gaming use out of the figures I'd like to paint another three to make a full official Warscroll for Warhammer Age of Sigmar.  I've also got plans for them in a series of summer Mordheim games, where they'll be fielded as Brethren in a Possessed Warband.  Watch this space!

More of my miniatures at: http://www.ninjabread.co.uk

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: Curis' Chaos Cornucopia (May 2018: Renegade Light Acolytes)
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
Wonderful!

They may well have been mine in an earlier incarnation if they were green and pink/purple as my versions were themed as Nurgle cultists.
Having said that, though, if they were I am sure that they much prefer life with the superb brushwork that they have been treated to now.
 8) 8)

And the fact that you have since trained them as a motorcycle display team!
 :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »
Great to see those acolytes. I always wanted some of them too (check ebay every now and then as well) You've done a stunning job on them. Love the cheerleader themed picture ;)

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:18 AM »
A motorcycle display team, Mason – ohhh, that would be an upside down pyramid.  Maybe I'll try that.

A child-aged Curis attempted to paint the single Skaven Clanrat from 3rd edition Talisman.  The paintjob went so badly it’s taken over twenty years before an adult-aged Curis returned to painting Skaven miniatures.

Double Dragon Rat.

This is classic Jes Goodwin Deathmaster Snikch.  Twice.  The left-hand one is painted as a straight copy of the 1993 ‘Eavy Metal scheme; the right-hand one is painted in the 2009 ‘Eavy Metal scheme used on Seb Perbert’s redesigned Deathmaster.  Seb followed Jes’ original sculpt so closely that porting the new scheme onto the old miniature felt like being on auto-pilot.

‘Eavy Metal Deathmasters.

But why paint two of a unique special character?  Well, Snikch and Snikch are standing in as the Deathrunner and his illusory double in my Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower project where every model is replaced with a 1990s equivalent.  Snikch kept his exact location a secret to spread maximum fear – I’m imagining an illusory double as a manifestation of this Snikchitsu.  The rules for the Deathrunner mean he’s an absolute fiend, so it’s apt to represent him with this Herohammer icon rather than a standard 1990s Skaven Assassin miniature.

Ninja Skavens put the “rat” in karate.

The Snikchs took less than an evening each to paint, which I found surprising as they’re super-chunky miniatures and packed full of detail.  I think the damage and wear on the second-hand castings (particularly noticeable on the triangular shuriken) stopped me being overly fussy with highlights.  And the bulk of the miniature is a big black cloak – black being one of the quickest colours to paint.

The Ninja Chaos Thug trying to work out which of the Ninja Rats is real.

There’s twenty retro miniatures so far in the Silver Tower project!  Check out the 1990s Pink, Blue and Brimstone Horrors here.   Check out the 1990s Kairic Adepts hereAnd check out the 1990s Kairic Acolytes here.  Coming soon – fur and gold.

More of my specifically-Warhammer miniatures at: http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/category/blog/warhammer-blog

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Age of Sigmar Shadespire Orruks
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
I’ve finished painting ALL the Shadespire Orruks! A whole plastic force, fully painted, with modern miniatures, for a current Games Workshop game. WHAT HAVE I BECOME?!?!  Gods of Oldhammer, I have forsaken thee!

Ironskull’s Ironjawz tearing up the Realm of Shadows.

Initially I planned to just copy the ‘Eavy Metal banana-yellow paint scheme, but I switched the Orruk fleshtone from green (which sits awfully with yellow) to a nicely contrasting purpley-brown.  I blocked out the basecoats, confident I could ignore Jean-Baptiste’s “never go full banana” advice.

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring banana phone orc.

Basha was the first Orruk I painted to completion – and he took bloody ages.  Yellow is notoriously translucent and takes a lot of layers to build to a strong colour.  Bright colours also show up the flaws in the shading and highlighting.  Pity anyone that’s doing an entire horde army of these buggers in yellow.  Although I was pleased with the brashness, I needed da boyz on the gaming table, and wanted to slash the time spent on them.

Basha and Gurzag Ironskull.

Gurzag and the other Orruks had their armour colours reversed.  The dark steel colour is simply drybrush, wash and a quick edge highlight in bright silver.  It takes a fraction of the time of the yellow as there’s no glazing of midtones to eat through time.

I spent a bit of the time saved putting flames on Gurzag’s cloak.

Reducing the amount of yellow makes the Orruks look far more menacing, and gives what yellow is there greater impact. Basha’s all-yellow scheme does push him towards looking like a kid’s toy, or a construction vehicle.  Which I quite like anyway.

Bonekutta and Hakka.

I had a lot of fun with Hakka, freehanding the flames onto his shoulderpads and jaw.  He’s my favourite miniature in the gang as the colour scheme draws your focus towards his head and cool mask.

I’ve really enjoyed painting these, and like that they’re instantly a finished project, ready to rumble against the likes of asslessman, Tears of Envy and Mr Saturday.

Lemme know which version of the yellow scheme you prefer below!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:33:00 AM by Curis »

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
Warhammer Quest Silver Tower Grot Scuttlings of Tzeentch
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »
It's Age of Sigmar time!  Here's a nine-strong cluster of Grot Scuttlings from the modern (gasp!) Warhammer Quest Silver Tower game. There's only eight in the box, but I painted a bonus one as PRAISE BE TO TZEENTCH.

Spider-Grots, Spider-Grots, manufactured in Notts.

Mashing together Night Goblins with sp-sp-spiders puzzles me – Forest Goblins were the spider-flavoured Goblins from Warhammer, so it's confusing the themes.  Like mashing up High Elves with leafs.  Or Khorne Berserkers with sonic sex-weaponry.  It seems Gee-Dub haven't continued the arachno-trend with the subsequent Night Goblin (or "Moonclan Grot" as they're now called) releases, and these spider-hybrids ("sp-ybrids"?) are confined to Tzeentch's Silver Tower.  Moonclan have found their feet, and it's not eight-a-grot.

Spin a web any size, catch Orruks just like flies.

To emphasise the Tzeentchian nature of these Scuttlings I avoided the classic Night Goblin black-robes-green-skin scheme and went for pale blue flesh and vivid purple robes.  My Silver Tower 1990s project will feature Scuttlings converted from the classic Kev Adams Night Goblins, and they may borrow this scheme to reinforce how they're not your standard Night Goblins.

Normal Oldhammer service will resume shortly with some charmingly vintage Bob Olley Tzaangor.  Have fun!

More of my miniatures at: http://www.ninjabread.co.uk/
Tutorials at: https://www.patreon.com/ninjabread/

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia (September 21st: Warhammer Quest Scuttlings)
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »
Excellent thread! I particularly like your old school Chaos stuff. The Epic pink horrors idea is a good one. I'll bet the ebay value will jump up now, not that I'm going to look. Nope. Not going to look.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Curis' Warhammer Cornucopia (September 21st: Warhammer Quest Scuttlings)
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2018, 05:14:59 PM »
fantastic painting, not fond of braaan orcs, purply or not, but see why you went that way.
spider grots are stunningly good.

love your coloured lighting dioramas too ... any tutorials / info on that anywhere?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 08:15:51 AM by Bloggard »