Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686475
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: vehicles and cover  (Read 3479 times)

Offline seldon

• Scientist
vehicles and cover
« on: May 11, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »
I am aware of rules 11.5 (vid fuco) about when line of sight blocked ...

However I thought I’d seen something regarding when is line of sight obstructed for vehicles or lare size elements.. and also.. don’t remember if they get cover mods to their  save.. like a tank in woods does it get a plus 1 to its save ?... do you give the. something like hard cover mods for being cornering a building ?

Offline seldon

• Scientist
Re: vehicles and cover
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 03:37:06 PM »
Adding to that question one more...

explosives such as the ones carried by zombies... you use them instead of the close combat attack...  but is says blast 2" .. is it inevitable that the guy placing the explosives takes a hit... with the zombies they detonate themselves so that is fine, but what about other guys in the unit plus what if it is a WWII game and this is an infantry assault on a vehicle using anti-tank explosives ?

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 03:23:45 PM »
Sorry for answering a bit late, I was on vacation for a couple of weeks…

Q: I am aware of rules 11.5 (vid fuco) about when line of sight blocked ...

However I thought I’d seen something regarding when is line of sight obstructed for vehicles or lare size elements.. and also.. don’t remember if they get cover mods to their  save.. like a tank in woods does it get a plus 1 to its save ?... do you give the. something like hard cover mods for being cornering a building ?

A: Section “11.5 Shooting at Vehicles” of ViDe Future Combat is indeed the right place to look. Following the example on P. 46 the MBT gets Broken LoS and a +1 Modifier on the Hit Characteristic is granted.
Otherwise all additional Cover modifiers are possible, just follow 7.9 Shoot, and obviously Infantry Cover Saves are not possible…
;)

Q: explosives such as the ones carried by zombies... you use them instead of the close combat attack...  but is says blast 2" .. is it inevitable that the guy placing the explosives takes a hit... with the zombies they detonate themselves so that is fine, but what about other guys in the unit plus what if it is a WWII game and this is an infantry assault on a vehicle using anti-tank explosives ?

A: Well - simply do not place other units within the Blast Radius!   ;) It is honestly that simple!
For Tank Hunter units in WWII, please check “7.20 Tank Hunter” on P.24 of the ViDE WWII rulebook.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 07:34:30 PM »
Ok.. so I was wrong on 1) I guess.. all cover mods do applied.. only thing is different is how deep in area terrain you block line of sight based on size.

On the second one though.. if you look at the anti tank explosives the blast is 2" but the combat range of infantry is 1"... so the guys attacking with explosives would always get hit by his own explosive ? .. am I missing something ?

One thing that came up on our game yesterday, "radio" trait on a lonely vehicle that is not an HQ doesn't do much, right ? If the HQ is calling artillery he can use the eyes of a recon vehicle for example but cannot use the "radio" from that vehicle... ( a vehicle would only benefit from radio if it is a command vehicle or if it is part of a unit and it can increase it's cohesion range, correct ? )
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:39:58 PM by seldon »

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 02:51:09 PM »
Q: On the second one though.. if you look at the anti tank explosives the blast is 2" but the combat range of infantry is 1"... so the guys attacking with explosives would always get hit by his own explosive ? .. am I missing something ?

A: ViDe FuCo only gives Infantry carried Demolition charges only to Suicide Zombies. They are designed to blow up.
In ViDE WWII it is a totally different thing. Using Anti-Tank Explosives was dangerous but not always fatal. The rules represent this in section 7.20.
“…Anti-Tank Explosives may be placed on any Vehicle or Structure within Combat Range with an Assault or Close Combat Action instead of rolling any other Damage Dice. They will explode at the end of the assaulting unit’s activation segment.”
The important part is “at the end of the … activation segment.” Remember the 3 actions, 1st action move to a vehicle, 2nd action Assault the vehicle and place the explosives, 3rd action move away. After the unit’s activation – BOOM!
If you place the explosives in the 3rd action as a last ditch effort, your brave soldiers are gone.

Q: One thing that came up on our game yesterday, "radio" trait on a lonely vehicle that is not an HQ doesn't do much, right ?
A: Yes, you only get the -2 mod calling Air/Artillery Strikes.

Q: If the HQ is calling artillery he can use the eyes of a recon vehicle for example but cannot use the "radio" from that vehicle... ( a vehicle would only benefit from radio if it is a command vehicle or if it is part of a unit and it can increase it's cohesion range, correct ? ).
A: Yes.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »
“Q: One thing that came up on our game yesterday, "radio" trait on a lonely vehicle that is not an HQ doesn't do much, right ?
A: Yes, you only get the -2 mod calling Air/Artillery Strikes.“

yes it doesn’t do much or yes you get the -2 ? The unit calling the arty get the -2if they have a radio, the recon using to spot having a radio is irrelevant if that vehicle itself is only spotting and not calling arty themselves right ?

thanks... great explanation om the attack on vehicles..

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »
“Q: One thing that came up on our game yesterday, "radio" trait on a lonely vehicle that is not an HQ doesn't do much, right ?
A: Yes, you only get the -2 mod calling Air/Artillery Strikes.“

yes it doesn’t do much or yes you get the -2 ? The unit calling the arty get the -2if they have a radio, the recon using to spot having a radio is irrelevant if that vehicle itself is only spotting and not calling arty themselves right ?

thanks... great explanation om the attack on vehicles..
You are welcome, always fun to answer good questions!

Quote from P.52 FuCo:
13.8. Radio - A vehicle unit with the Radio Special property modifies every “Call in Air/Artillery Strikes” roll by -2; see Command Vehicle – Call in Air/Artillery Strikes.
Quote from P.52 FuCo:
8.27. Recon - A unit calling in an Air/Artillery Strike does not need Line of Sight to the targeted enemy unit as long as a friendly unit with the Recon ability has Line of Sight to them.

Calling in Air/Artillery Strikes is only possible for vehicles with the Command Vehicle Special.
So following you above question, ""radio" trait on a lonely vehicle that is not an HQ doesn't do much, right ?"
a lone Recon vehicle can not call in  Air/Artillery Strikes at all.
If a Command vehicle is calling in an A/A strike and has the Radio special it gets the -2 mod.