Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:34:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Monty's North West Frontier - Update on p. 5 - 9th Lancers (25.10.2020)  (Read 11254 times)

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Re: Monty's North West Frontier - Now 66th on p. 3 - 6th Sept. 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2017, 11:16:56 PM »
My apologies that I disregarded this threat slightly during the last weeks but I was busy with preparing the last bits and pieces for CRISIS and didn't manage to take pictures. Anyway the Sikh regiment is finished but first for some terrain. Since we need a lot of rocky terrain I wanted to contribute at least one piece to our game and gave the same technique a try that Admiral Benbow presented in his sublime threat here. Thus I made a basic framework of hard foam and glued numerous pieces of bark on it. Afterwards I covered it with some filler as well as gravel and sand.
Then I painted most areas ochre brownish and the rocks in greyish white colours. Actually to match Michael's colour palette more or less but until now we haven't had our pieces side by side.
Tomorrow I'll try to arrange a little photo session to get pictures of the figures I finished lately. At least there are those twelve Sikhs, a 9pdr Royal Horse Artillery gun and a heliograph team. They'll all see action at CRISIS but I hope to be able to show them here before. However here's a small preview:

Cheers
Stefan
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: Monty's North West Frontier - Halloween-Update on p. 4 - Terrain
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2017, 01:21:56 AM »
Monty,

Sorry I missed your question re: Sikh bagpipe patterns last month.

I am not at all an expert, but I know several different Indian regiments used solid colors and in the case of the 40th Pathans, a tribal pattern, for the fabric of their pipebags.

However, with respect to the 45th Rattray's Sikhs... there is another possibility.

Captain Thomas Rattray, who founded the unit, was from a Scottish family, and there is a Rattray tartan, and as recently as 2006 there was still an ongoing relationship between the multi-battalion Sikh regiment in the modern Indian Army (the 3rd battalion of which traces its lineage back to 45th Rattray's Sikhs) and the Rattray Clan in Scotland, where representatives from that same Sikh regiment attend the International Clan Rattray Gathering every 4 years.  So... you could perhaps go with the Rattray tartan, as pictured here:

Another way to go would be to post the question over on the Victorian Wars Forum, where someone will probably have a more definitive answer:

http://victorianwars.com
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:33:20 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2017, 08:32:15 AM »
Splendid stuff. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »
The rocks rock! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
Captain Thomas Rattray, who founded the unit, was from a Scottish family, and there is a Rattray tartan, and as recently as 2006 there was still an ongoing relationship between the multi-battalion Sikh regiment in the modern Indian Army (the 3rd battalion of which traces its lineage back to 45th Rattray's Sikhs) and the Rattray Clan in Scotland, where representatives from that same Sikh regiment attend the International Clan Rattray Gathering every 4 years.  So... you could perhaps go with the Rattray tartan.

Thanks for the hint, Ethan. Your explanation sounds more than reasonable but unfortunately it came too late. As you'll see later I've already painted the bagpipe straight blue. Anyway I might rework that but not before Crisis...   ;)

Saying Crisis yesterday I previewed the Royal Horse Artillery 9pdr gun. A wonderful set from Perry Miniatures that is part of Michael's wonderful "Victoria's little Wars" range. The gun comes with four crewmen which are in firing position. Here are the miniatures with a few splashes of Vallejo and Foundry paints:

As you see I based the gun with one of the gunners. That seems a bit special but I wanted the fellow pulling the release cord firmly connected to the artillery pieces because I was afraid that the cord might break off after several transports. On the other hand I wanted to be able to place the gun in skirmish manner in small areas or within (rocky) terrain pieces. Thus the remaining three crew members are based on very small coins. Only 18mm in diametre.

9pdr in action again:

Well... That's it for now. I'll try to bring some pictures of my heliograph team or the Sikhs before Crisis but cannot promise that I'll be able to. Otherwise next week...

Cheers
Stefan
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 06:16:07 PM by Monty »

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог
Congratulations, very good work! Bravo!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Very nice indeed ;D

Offline Paul Hicks

• Mad Scientist
Looking forward to seeing this at Crisis!

Offline Andrei1975

• Scientist
  • Пыль шагающих сапог

I also made my artilleryman on the same pedestal with a gun:

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Thanks a lot for your kind feedback, fellows!

Looking forward to seeing this at Crisis!
Looking forward to meeting you again there, mate!   :)

I also made my artilleryman on the same pedestal with a gun:
Good job, Andrei. And very clever basing indeed.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 06:03:29 PM by Monty »

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
Lovely work!  :-*
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Hello and good morning,

horrified I realised that I haven't posted any progress on my NWF project for more than two years. Although I didn't create any large amounts of troops I should at least complete this album with my humble results.

Heliograph Team
As well as in the Sudan and in Zulu land the British deployed Heliograph teams in Afghanistan to maintain a certain amount of communication. To have a team different from the excellent Sudan models by Perry Miniartures I built up some chaps from a combination of the NWF plastics and the Zulu British plastics by the same company.

During the next weeks some pictures of more Indian troops will follow. As well as some Afghans and maybe a couple of British lancers. We'll see...

Cheers
Stefan
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 10:03:28 AM by Monty »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Lovely job Stefan, well done  :-*

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain