Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:33:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690757
  • Total Topics: 118347
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Which Lion Rampant leader rules do you use?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
Which Lion Rampant leader rules do you use?
« on: August 19, 2017, 02:08:10 AM »
I've deeply admired Dan Mersey's rules since picking up the original Lion Rampant rulebook. When Dragon Rampant came out, I bought it, not really with the intention of switching out any of the historical models in my original warband, but just to tempt my friends into fielding fantasy armies against me. One thing I noticed immediately was that the Leader rules from DR seemed to be a thorough improvement over the ones in LR. Because of that, it became preferable to run my historical retinue out of the DR book.

I quite recently picked up the Pikeman's Lament rules, mostly out of idle curiosity (it's not a period I collect), and Yet again the Officer rules feel like they stand head and shoulders above the leader rules from DR and LR. While the book is technically a standalone expansion of the game into a new setting, it really feels like the progression of the Leader rules ought to be an update to the core game. My own two cents is that Lion Rampant is a better game if you run it with Pikemen's Lament Officers. I'm curious to know, is this how anybody has been running it at their own clubs?

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Which Lion Rampant leader rules do you use?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 07:07:42 AM »
I am been wondering the same. Alas, I have not yet tried them, so I don't know how well it adapt to Medieval skirmish!

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »
My group is running a loose campaign using LR/DR units and rules, with the PL Leader rules, scenarios, activation fumbles/crits, and Leader progression rules. They work fine. The only things we changed is Leaders who are reduced model sized units. Those still roll for Lucky Blows and engage in Challenges; If they lose a Challenge or receive a Lucky Blow, they lose their Leader abilities, and their army has to take Courage test. Losing a challenge also reduces the unit by a strength point.

Another point is the +1 for units activating within 12" of the leader. We use it but don't allow it for spell casting. The +1 does change the game, making it go a bit faster. Since we usually play multiplayer games, this is fine, keeps things moving.

It has been great fun. Between Leaders getting captured, scarred, or losing the respect of their troops, and crazy results on the activation tables, lots of stories have been told!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 11:47:37 AM »
If you take an abstract view Pikeman's Lament is 'Lion Rampant III', so you would expect it to have built on the original version; Michael Leck's input not withstanding.

I sort of hope that Dan Mersey might contemplate doing a Lion Rampant 2nd Edition to incorporate the advances made, but using the PL Leader rules, or any of the other subtle changes is pretty painless, whichever 'edition' you're using. While I wouldn't mix them in with the PL lists, using the LR Army Lists with the PL rules shouldn't present any problems either I would have thought.

dbsubashi's group's rules look interesting, which is a strength of the system, there's so much you can bolt on if you wish.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 04:12:34 PM »
We found the Lion Rampant leader traits to be rather unbalancing so we discarded them after several games. I agree with everything posted here with regards to the the Pikeman's Lament leader rules however.