Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:32:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Board Size  (Read 1937 times)

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
Board Size
« on: August 21, 2017, 08:48:14 PM »
Has anyone experimented with board sizes other than 2' x 3'?

What about 3' x 3' or even 2' x 2?

Have you found any notable difference in how it plays?
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Board Size
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 11:58:05 PM »
3 x 3 - it works fine.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:14:56 PM »
 I've tried it with bigger boards (up to 6x4) with no major problems, but haven't tried a smaller playing area.
 (I've found multi-player games often benefit from increasing the size of the board, you just have to bear in mind that a non-shooty Lurker band will need a little help from the scenery if they're to stand a chance of closing with the Threshold players.)

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 09:51:11 PM »
I've played up to 4x6 with no problems. My favourite board is actually a 2x2...kinda a 'fight up the mountain' sort of thing. I guess simple rule would be; bigger board takes more time until the action starts.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »
Quote from: Uncle Mike
My favourite board is actually a 2x2

Glad you said that, because that's also the most appealing to me as well.

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 08:17:02 PM »
I have expermented with 2x2 boards for both Frostgrave and SAeons and am happy to report its my preferred play-area. Small enough it's simple to fill with high quality terrain and the shorter ranges in the game encourage more strategic play.

2x3 is the official game board size. 3x3 is right for multiplayer or treasure hunt/exploration scenerios that you play less often.

He largest board I have done was for a custom haunted house scenerio- 36"x80"- some autos were used to aid movement.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
I have expermented with 2x2 boards for both Frostgrave and SAeons and am happy to report its my preferred play-area. Small enough it's simple to fill with high quality terrain and the shorter ranges in the game encourage more strategic play.

2x3 is the official game board size. 3x3 is right for multiplayer or treasure hunt/exploration scenerios that you play less often.

He largest board I have done was for a custom haunted house scenerio- 36"x80"- some autos were used to aid movement.

I want to see your boards!

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
Damn You Photobucket!!!! - when I clear up this issue I will.

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:57:27 AM »

how did you handle the auto start up and movement ?

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
Great Question-

Autos were treated like terrain that moved- and our philosophy was if we thought too much about it then it would be a bother rather than a help tell the story of the game.

Overland movement was 5d6, ignoring the lowest d6, meaning characters could get a solid 14" of move most turns. Max move on roads. If the car didn't move more than 8" non driving characters could fire once with a penalty. Autos couldn't move over any terrain (its the 1920's)- and could be disabled by most "monsterous" critters if close combat was lost. Provided light cover to occupants.

Basicaly there was no good reason to stay in them once you reached your objective, it rewarded roads and gave this awesome sense of impending doom as you drive to your destination...

Offline WallyTWest

• Scientist
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 07:38:52 PM »
2' X 2' layouts for Frostgrave. The objective is to infuse as much Narative as you can into a small layout- by looking at these can you guess what the scenerios were about? (I take pics of layouts so we can return to those locations for fights later in the campaign.)

image" border="0

image" border="0

image" border="0