Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:39:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Humanities Professor - 23 Aug - Idle Pulping  (Read 9987 times)

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Humanities Professor - 23 Aug - Idle Pulping
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:50:22 PM »
Greetings, one and all! A long, long-time lurker here emerging from the shadows. I've spent the last year or so casually flicking through various rulesets, and in particular have enjoyed perusing the various Pulp Alley releases. These miniatures are my first foray into modern pulp and, idle painter that I am, have taken far too long to finish!

The Anthropologist

The Sociologist

The Historian

Comments and criticism most welcome, including in the area of photography. As you can see, I'm particularly struggling with eliminating the shininess from the minis - slapping on matt varnish doesn't seem to be helping, so maybe I'm missing something in the photo set-up process, or in the post-photo edit?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:43:59 PM by Idle Doodler »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
Re: The Pulp Adventures of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »
Nice brush work! And I like your clear bases. Well done.

I am sure someone will share some tips about the shine, but I wouldn't let it concern you. They are ready for action!  ;)

Offline Neotacha

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:21:10 AM »
Nice job!

As far as the shine goes, do they look shiny in person?  It may just be the camera mucking you about.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
Nice brush work! And I like your clear bases. Well done.

I am sure someone will share some tips about the shine, but I wouldn't let it concern you. They are ready for action!  ;)

Thanks Mr Phipps! I'm still not entirely sure they'll remain stuck to their bases for a great length of time, but I'm holding off pinning them for now!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
Nice job!

As far as the shine goes, do they look shiny in person?  It may just be the camera mucking you about.

Thank you, Neotacha. To my inexpert eye, they're not glossily shiny, but they do seem to have more of a sheen after using the matt varnish. That said, I do think the camera highlights the shine. I am currently munching on many cornflakes and knocking back the tea with the aim of finishing off the milk in the fridge - I hear the empty bottles make for passable light diffusers!

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
Nice minis, but a bit shiny indeed.

I finish my minis with a light spray of Tamiya Flat Clear, which is a mat as can be, before re-highlighting with GW Ardcoat the lips, eyes, glasses, gems or whatever else I want to be glossy. Though, you would have to carefully mask the clear bases before spraying, or remove the minis from the bases before gluing them back on.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »
Thanks Mr Phipps! I'm still not entirely sure they'll remain stuck to their bases for a great length of time, but I'm holding off pinning them for now!

We have been using clear bases for years, on hundred of figures, and only two bases have popped off so far.

In my experience, the bond is surprisingly strong.  ;)

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 10:19:04 AM »
Nice minis, but a bit shiny indeed.

I finish my minis with a light spray of Tamiya Flat Clear, which is a mat as can be, before re-highlighting with GW Ardcoat the lips, eyes, glasses, gems or whatever else I want to be glossy. Though, you would have to carefully mask the clear bases before spraying, or remove the minis from the bases before gluing them back on.

Thanks!

I've just briefly glanced at its entry on Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Outlet/Tamiya-Acrylic-Colour-Clear-Mat-TS-80/B000ZVO3YS). It talks a lot about being geared for plastics - presumably it works for metal figures too? Also, will it react with the varnish already on the models - I've had bad experiences with cloudy finishes in the past, which is what originally sent me down the paint-on varnish route.

We have been using clear bases for years, on hundred of figures, and only two bases have popped off so far.

In my experience, the bond is surprisingly strong.  ;)

Here's hoping! Now it's a question of whether I can bring myself to replace all my other models' bases...

I'm certainly finding myself more aware of the feet when painting - no more hiding laziness with long grass or rocks!

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
Thanks!
I've just briefly glanced at its entry on Amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Outlet/Tamiya-Acrylic-Colour-Clear-Mat-TS-80/B000ZVO3YS). It talks a lot about being geared for plastics - presumably it works for metal figures too? Also, will it react with the varnish already on the models - I've had bad experiences with cloudy finishes in the past, which is what originally sent me down the paint-on varnish route.

If you spray a painted mini, it won't matter what the mini under the paint is made of. Tamiya sprays are the least aggressive sprays I know. They are among the few that do not melt plastics such as extruded polystyrene. As such, you can use Tamiya Flat Clear as a primer on any plastic. Though, a proper primer and a coloured one would seem preferable in this context. Its primary use is as a mat finishing lack. It removes any gloss and I never encountered frosting problems with it. The only downside I can cite is that it's a bit expensive.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 01:29:24 PM »
I shall add it to the wishlist and start browsing for deals. Thanks for the tip - better to work these things out while the completed miniature line up is still a manageable length!

That said, finished these off a earlier this morning:

The Journalist

The Guide

The Prodigy

Well, the shine's gone, but the lighting isn't as good. This is the plastic milk bottle effect. I shall have to experiment further...

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:29 PM »
Okay, I'm practicing a bit more with the photography, so here are the first six miniatures again, hopefully more presentable:

And a new addition, a wealthy employer's Secretary. Typing is but one of his many useful skills.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
Re: The Pulp Adventures of an Idle Doodler - 31st Aug update - The Secretary
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 02:03:51 AM »
i use testors spray dull coat to remove any shine from washes/varnish.  nice paint job on all of them - keep up the good work.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »
A GREAT collection of MULP characters - from the choice of minis to the clear bases and brushwork - CONGRATULATIONS!   :-*
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 02:33:46 AM »
Very nice work!   :D
What manufacturer makes the "Prodigy" figure?

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 02:16:13 PM »
A GREAT collection of MULP characters - from the choice of minis to the clear bases and brushwork - CONGRATULATIONS!   :-*

Thanks!

Very nice work!   :D
What manufacturer makes the "Prodigy" figure?

Thank you! I'm afraid it's an OOP miniature from Crooked Dice. I think it's a Doctor Who lookalike, so got taken down for IP reasons, which is a real shame - there were a couple of really good modern civilians like him who, were it not for the link to Doctor Who, would make perfectly generic models.