Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:08:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Curis' Normans and Medievals (Unreleased Citadel General, added 27th Sep)  (Read 11966 times)

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
In the lands of the north, where the black rocks stand guard against the cold sea, in the dark night that is very long, the men of the north lands sit by their great log fires and they tell a tale…

Exploring Citadel Miniatures' pre-slotta ranges is a real journey of discovery and wonder for me. My knowledge of Games Workshop's miniature ranges starts with 1991's Catalogue 1 – which only goes back as far as 1986 and not right to the beginning of Citadel history (1979) as the name suggests.  There's a great many pre-1986 miniature ranges I have no awareness of, and so I'd never painted any pre-slotta stuff until I found out about this Gnoll.

Gnollin the Gnoll.

This is no ordinary Gnoll – his nasal helm, kite shield and hafted axe mean he's Fantasy Tribes FTG14 Gnorman the Gnoll. I picked him while I was trawling the net for 1980s Citadel Normans to reinforce my army.  His giant nose and teeny legs do put me in mind of Noggin the Nog.

"Hello" said Noggin, cheerfully.  "Very pleased to meet you."

Gnolls in the Warhammer World are described as having ruddy flesh, but I thought that when placed alongside regular Normans he'd work better with green skin to reinforce his inhumanity.  As I found out reading Goblin Lee's blog on Gnolls, the Fantasy Tribes Gnolls were later rebranded as C12 Great Goblins, so I can claim the green flesh is goblin rather than botched Gnoll.

Gnollin with more Normans I've painted since Salute 2017.

I now have fifteen Norman Sergeants, which allows them to rank up pleasingly in a five-by-three regiment.  Though these models have been primarily used in Saga where round bases are king, I do like the 20mm square bases to make them into a neat and imposing regiment.

Lord Weuere happy to let Gnollin in his shieldwall.

Interestingly, Plastefuchs pointed out that Saga does actually have a fan-made supplement that introduces fantasy races to the game.

"The Fantastic Saga rules are not done by any of the Saga regulars but a small group from tabletopwelt.de. Depending on what you envision your Gnolls to feel like, maybe the Kobaloi rules could fit well. You can find all of the new rules on http://www.a-fantastic-saga.com/. The sub-forum for AFS is quite active and the developers are there as well, helping out with rules questions."

I really enjoy slipping this little piece of fantasy into my historical force; I want to push that envelope further.  Watch this space!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:56:56 AM by Curis »

Offline Khurasan Miniatures

• Mastermind
  • Miniature manufacturer to the stars
    • Khurasan Miniatures
Re: Curis' Normans
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:23:22 PM »
Those look fantastic and I really like that little guy in the ranks.
Khurasan Miniatures

Like us on Facebook for updates:
http://www.facebook.com/khurasanminiatures

Offline frenchfever

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 11:36:34 PM »
that's fonny  :)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »
The regiment looks sharp - very crisp painting.  Love the old gnoll sneaking in there.  I have a lot of figures from that old range, including that one.

-Michael

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 02:15:24 PM »
Nice work! ;)

Offline gostgost

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 06:30:47 PM »
The green guy fits in well

Offline Sitric Caech

• Student
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 04:00:49 AM »
Love those citadel/foundry Normans. Great painting..

Offline Phil Portway

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »
Cuddly little Gnoll   :D
If it isn't enjoyable, it isn't gaming!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »
Brilliant some real classics there

Offline Dez

• Librarian
    • https://vk.com/club90445881
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 12:31:25 PM »
Cool!!! I also like to insert some fantasy figures into historical troops ...  :D

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 09:35:22 AM »
Thanks for all the comments!  I like the skeleton you've snuck into those ranks, Dez.  It works well when the armour is distinct enough to identify what era the troops is from.

Decades of exposure to Games Workshop’s marketing materials has conditioned me not to paint individual figures, but regiments, and then armies.  There was no stopping at just one Gnorman Gnoll.  Gnot on your gnelly.  eBay trawling has turned up two more preslotta gems from 1981–3.

Lord Tisserand with his hawk Antonius, accompanied by two Gnolls.

Lord Tisserand is a simple conversion of the Wargames Foundry ex-Citadel Normans with the arm from a Black Tree command figure holding a hawk swapped in to make him a regimental champion.  I also sculpted on a strap so he could carry a shield while waving around the Bird of Command – but that’s barely worth mentioning as this sentence took longer to type than the strap took to sculpt.

You can see the original figure as it appeared in White Dwarf 92, with the cliché French names variously inspired by Inspector Clouseau, Rémy Martin cognac, Marie Brizard liquer and maybe ‘Allo ‘Allo characters.

And just what is the French for “cliché”?

Why a hawk?  Hawks were a symbol of authority in Norman times.  The Bayeaux Tapestry initially shows Harold holding a hawk, and switches to showing William holding a hawk when his claim to England’s throne becomes legitimate.

[/i]

I might push this idea of animals symbolising command into the realm of fantasy and model a Norman King on a giant hawk or griffon.  I am enjoying the blend of historical and fantasy in the same project.

Lord Tisserand and the Gnolls against Undead Wights.

All three Gnolls I have painted now are variants of the same figure.  In the above image the right-most Gnoll is the unadulterated miniature.  The one on the left I converted with an arm and sword from a 1980s Citadel Goblin.  The central Gnoll is the resculpted version that appeared in the later C13 range – who has the same body but a new weapon arm and head.  Challenge now is how to convert future Gnolls to provide enough variety for a complete Gnorman regiment.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 01:37:14 PM »
Fantastic stuff, absolutely loving these  :D 8) 8)

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 07:14:21 PM »
Great idea, well executed. I really like the cross-over idea you have here - that could work in so many ways in so many genres. There'll be gno stopping you gnow.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 01:25:32 PM »
These are really well painted!

Offline Curis

• Librarian
    • Ninjabread
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 10:31:29 AM »
Friar Tuck, legendary tonsured companion of Robin Hood, joins my miniatures collection.

“Praise the Lord!  And pass the tax rebate!”

Friar Tuck was an impulse purchase whilst acting as Nottingham cultural attaché for visiting family members.  Warlord Games (a Nottingham company) have a small range of Heritage Miniatures they’ve slipped into local tourist spots like the the National Justice Museum and Nottingham Tourism Centre.  I quite enjoyed making my turbo-nerd purchase in a regular retail outlet – it’s like being able to buy Dungeons & Dragons in the same place as your milk and morning papers.

“If Curis has seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giant Robin Hood statues.”

Tuck’s base was originally built up with sand to accommodate the cast-on scenic base.  But the original sculpted base features what looks like a little tombstone with FRIAR TUCK engraved on it, which I thought implies he’s the friar that’s just buried Friar Tuck, or alternatively Friar Tuck’s ghost.  That was too much narrative for me.  So I chopped it off.

Friar Tuck in the Monastery of Abingdon.

The basing style matches my Warhammer Age of Sigmar and Dungeons & Dragons miniatures, and not my Citadel Normans.  Tuck is too big to stand alongside the older 1980s Perry sculpts, plus friars are anachronistic in Norman times.  But then friars are anachronistic in the classic Robin Hood setting of Richard the Lionheart.  I plan to paint some monks/friars/priests that are compatible with my Normans.

Cool ending tangent fact: – the Friar Tuck action figure from the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves toyline was based on the Star Wars Gamorrean Guard?