Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:56:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: zirrian's Judge Dredd/2000AD painting blog  (Read 6039 times)

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
zirrian's Judge Dredd/2000AD painting blog
« on: August 23, 2017, 04:14:11 PM »
Hello, kind folks of LAF!

After a lot of lurking, and the urge to documentate my Judge Dredd/2000AD gaming project, I've decided to start a thread for my stuff here. I hope it helps me to stay somewhat focused, get some ideas from other kind folks, and build up my ego  lol

On a more serious note - as bad as it might sound, my first encounter with Dredd was the Stallone movie and I liked that. I could say that I was young, but I have still fond memories of Dredd and Rico belching "LAAAAAW!" at each other in comedic fashion. Also, as I'm from Hungary, I had little contact with 2000AD. Years later I've read Batman and Dredd, then played the Rogue Trooper, and after a bunch of mish-mash events, I've purchased a whole lot of figures, starting with some Citadel figurines. So without further ado, let me present Judge Bambra, Judge Gallagher and Judge Patton:

I really like these old minis. They are enjoyable to paint, not overburdened with detail (which doesn't mean they are featureless), and look really nice once finished.

From the Citadel minis, I have Hershey (currently getting painted), Ol' Stoneyface himself (actually two of them, the second will be in the stash for a while...), SJS Judge Slocum, Mad Cal, Judge Death, Mortis and Fire, some punks, Junior Angel, and a bunch of Shadowrun minis who'll be used as gangers or walley judges. I have two boxes of the old Mongoose plastics because I didn't wanted to let them slip away, so got two from eBay quickly. Also coming is a Warlord/Mongoose starter box with the expansion, and under obtaining are a bunch of random judge minis, street gangers, citi-def, sky surfers, all the good stuff. And if anyone's considering getting rid of some Dredd stuff...don't hesitate to contact me ;)

Hope you'll enjoy my pictures, and in case you folks have any questions, recommendations, anything, feel free to ask.

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
Re: zirrian's Judge Dredd/2000AD painting blog
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 04:42:22 PM »
Great work, great figs and great subject!

2000ad is currently putting out a best of collection. A great way to get into the original comic books.

Thanks! Do you know a good online retailer that posts to Hungary for a good price? I ordered the first Tales of Nu-Earth from Bookdepo (I admit I like Rogue a bit more than Dredd...so I really hope Warlord will release the minis from the KS), and plan to get the whole collection (and do the same for the Dredd and Strontium Dog series as well), so maybe a best of collection is not that urgent - but thanks nonetheless!

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 05:44:23 PM »
Beautiful work on these.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:50:57 PM »
Excellent painting, very vibrant and nostalgically reminiscent of actual comic book art.

Regarding publications, I got almost all of the Judge Dredd Complete Case Files in PDF format from http://www.drivethrucomics.com/.

Quality-wise, the PDFs are good value for money and enormously space-saving, if you are satisfied with reading the stories and don't require the "physical experience".

Note that the site has some area restrictions (for example, I cannot buy individual 2000AD progs, but the collections all worked), so you might want to check if they allow purchases from Hungary.

Offline chantyam the 2nd

• Assistant
  • Grrrr...
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:57:58 PM »
The "Complete Dredd Files" and other collections are available through Amazon via Kindle download and through Rebellion Publishing website (you can download the app via iTunes).
I've ordered via both as I already had a Amazon account but also signed up with Rebellion as not only do they offer collections of Dredd etc but e-format 200AD and Judge Dredd magazine.
You like Rogue Trooper ? Check out "Jäger" for a storyline from the "Nort" side (I've bought the complete collections of Rogue Trooper this way).

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations folks, but I prefer the real books - I'll probably start purchasing the Case Files after I've got all the Tales of Nu-Earth books :)

And on a slightly related note, I finished Judge Hershey from the Citadel range - I'm not entirely satisfied with her eyes, but for the time being, it'll do. Also, as a strange twist of faith, in the lot I'm about to get, there's a Mongoose version of her...which looks better, so she'll either be denoted to a street judge, a veteran judge or maybe a psy-judge. Either way, now I'm well above the 500 points for the recommended campaign game size, so logic dictates I should paint some gangers...but I think I'll finish the three remaining figs on my desk, which will basically let me play Cal's Retinue as well.

And now for Hershey:

Also, thanks for all the compliments, I really appreciate them. Hard to get any kind of reaction other than a "meh" in this GW-filled country.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 08:45:26 PM »
Very crisp paint jobs, I really like them. I agree with Chris' comments that there is a comic book vibe to them. Good work!

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 07:58:44 PM »
And now for the man himself, Mr. "I cost 625 credits on my own but you can add a Lawmaster for 100 more", Ol' Stoneyface, Judge Joseph Dredd!

Thanks for the compliments again. Sadly this figure's face was...bad. Otherwise a nice fig. Added that bit of paper to the base as it seemed like a good idea...now I'm thinking of getting some generic street clutter to put on the bases. Dropped coke cans, trashbags, etc.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 10:32:15 PM »
Great painting mate!  :D

And I love the old Citadel Judge Dredd figures, they have so much character. Your painting style really brings out the best of these classic sculpts.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »
Nice painting.

Not really a fan of the GW style of that period, though somewhere I have a number of their Dredd figures.

It is a bit like TWD, they are styled after (some) of the source material.

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 08:38:58 PM »
Well folks sorry for the lack of updates on the weekend...had a busy Friday, and stumbled upon some Warmodelling UK Paras I just HAD TO do...I might start a thread for my WW2 stuff as well.

Anyway! I almost finished Cal and Slocum, they'll be finished hopefully tomorrow...and my starter is on the way, should be with me next week, so yay!

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »
As promised, and without further ado, Cal and Slocum:

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 11:52:22 PM »
Lovely work.  Those older miniatures have a tonne of character.

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 06:08:15 AM »

Postman got something for me :)

I have to say, I really like the figures. They are noticably bigger than the Citadel ones, so I'm not sure if I'll field them together (especially that I have two boxes of the plastic gangers that are like giants in comparison), but I'll get started on them soon...

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
Well, since I got the Mongoose figs that are incompatibly larger than the Citadel ones, I've decided to start with them...as a start, 500 points gangs to actually try out the game, then expand from there.

Sadly the Judge box doesn't have too much standard judges...another standard judge with a Lawgiver would have been better. Also, the special weapons judge is a bit...weak. Anyone knows if they made different poses with the same weapons? I'm thinking of converting this chap into a standard judge with a Lawgiver, as none of the two weapons really fit him.