Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:40:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686550
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Modular Space Hulk - Airlock  (Read 41761 times)

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
Modular Space Hulk - Airlock
« on: August 24, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
So since about 1992, inspired by the beautiful illustrations and the various dioramas, I've wanted to play the best game GW ever made (clue is in the title) in actual 3D, just like it said on the box - "3D Roleplay" remember?

Since 2009 (when I got my first real bonus) I've started collecting the materials to do it. It's a mishmash of GW cities of death etc, mantic warzone, that biochem plant kit whose manufacturer escape me, random resin, a lot of magnets, and at least a few hundred quid of plastruct (and five bottles of poly cement so far).

Since 2015 I've been building it - heavily inspired by Nedius's efforts and the likes of Star citizen, Doom, and Alien Isolation.

Current status (Inquisitor Pointy + retinue for scale)...

Corridors etc (water effect in the gutters, bring out the classic humid, steamy, sewer, look-behind-you-newt! kind of vibe)

Rooms (all of these have magnetised feature walls - obvious in some pics - so the can be swapped out for other themes):

The only large room done so far:

Easter egg:

Abandoned stuff:

Everything:

Remaining supplies:

I quickly had to abandon the idea of doing an actual Space Hulk set because I'm not gonna live that long, so a lot of the junction type pieces got abandoned when I moved towards a more warhammer-quest-in-space idea (which needs much fewer pieces). The pieces that moved forwards are kind of 90% done now - they need weathering, OSL, general cleanup where it was rushed, and a lot of decal work to try and bring a bit more life to it.

And as for the future, well, I really don't know any more. The trouble is it is very unlikely that I will actually use any of this ever again so I struggle to raise the enthusiasm to throw further (considerable) amounts of time and money into this pointless exercise. OTOH I have lots of materials remaining that feels like a terrible waste, and I had ideas for escape pods, crew quarters, a bridge, airlocks and such. So I thought I may as well share it for now, and if the mood takes me again, I'll know where to go.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:29:16 AM by waitwhat »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Modular Space Hulk (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
 :o :o :o

What a wonderful set that you have built so far.
Truly inspirational.
 :-* :-* :-*

It will always be worth adding to, as you obviously enjoy it, and you never know when a new gaming opponent could walk through the door.
Dont abandon it.
Finish it!
 :D ;)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 06:52:52 PM »
Very cool.

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »
Wait... What?

This is absolutely, breathtakingly superb. You really have an eye for detail, plus well-planned modularity and multi-usability.

Just why wouldn't you use it? No gaming buddies? No time?

Still, sometimes it's the journey that is the worthy part. If you're primarily a builder, then planning & building is the funniest part, and eventually you have that yearning for new projects. Well, that's me, at least.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 07:24:43 PM »
This might be a good contender for the best Space Heulk set ever made :)

BUT! It deserves some artsy pictures taken in a darker environment so the feeling of dark corridors only illuminated by some flickering lights and the Terminator's torches  >:D

I assume the easter egg is a reference to the Combine locks from Half-Life 2?

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:38:06 PM »
Really inspirational!
, ,

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 09:05:10 PM »
Wow  :o :o this is brilliant

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:45:02 PM »
Absolutely brilliant!  I wanted to do something like this too (though it would have been a fraction of the quality) but given time constraints and storage issues I went with a much more basic mdf set with resin bits and pieces to flesh it out. I look at this with complete envy, it's everything I'd want in a set up! The attention to detail is just great.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:46:33 AM by Elk101 »

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 10:42:21 PM »
This is simply spectacular. One of the best Space Hulk projects I've ever seen.

Hold onto it and keep working away at it.
You never know when you'll find a new gaming opponent, and you never know when the creative urge will strike again.

(I love the exit sign depicting the little guy fleeing an Alien. And the construction fencing. And all the little details like those.)

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »
Okay, I usually don't use this word but: this is EPIC!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 11:21:21 PM »
Very nice. I love the little details like the wires crossing over the walkways just like they were in the original version of Spacehulk.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 02:41:46 AM »
That is truly spectacular. I love it.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 04:00:44 AM »
I quickly had to abandon the idea of doing an actual Space Hulk set because I'm not gonna live that long, so a lot of the junction type pieces got abandoned when I moved towards a more warhammer-quest-in-space idea (which needs much fewer pieces).

Excellent work, welcome to the crowd of nutcases that had to have a dimensional Space Hulk  lol

You're not kidding about the scope of a full set. There are soooooo many board sections. I used 1.5 inch tiles and it takes up a LOT of actual space.

You have some great details and I really like the overhanging architecture. Seriously cool build.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
Stunning - please do hold on to it.
I'm building my own, can't see it getting anywhere near as good.
Love the inquisitor exorcising the drink dispensing machine lol 8) 8) 8)

Offline waitwhat

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 06:42:25 PM »
Genuinely pleasantly surprised at the compliments in this esteemed place. Thank you kindly.

Just why wouldn't you use it? No gaming buddies? No time?

No friends, local game club is power 40k 24/7 type of place, local show wasn't interested, kid looks increasingly unlikely to be interested.

Still, sometimes it's the journey that is the worthy part. If you're primarily a builder, then planning & building is the funniest part, and eventually you have that yearning for new projects. Well, that's me, at least.

Perhaps. I think it's true you regret the things you don't do more, so in that sense I guess I'm glad I made the attempt. Perhaps the itch is scratched now, but perhaps the journey just isn't that compelling if the destination is a disappointment.

I've got some free evenings coming up, I'll see if the bits box inspires me.