Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:44:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Early Franks and Domain of Soissons  (Read 15137 times)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
Early Franks and Domain of Soissons
« on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:32 PM »
I've been working on my Kingdom of Soissons campaign supplement for Dux Brit for a little while now and, while it is still in the infancy stage, I've made some progress towards actually fielding a force of Early Merovingian Franks. As of right now, I only have five converted and primed and one completely painted, but I'm dying to show them off/get some constructive criticism/advice. So here are the minis:

Let me know what you guys think!

If anyone wants to see what I have so far with the campaign supplement or has any ideas let me know as well!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 08:31:27 PM by arget8 »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
Re: Early Merovingian Franks and Kingdom of Soissons for Dux Brit
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:36:37 PM »
I like the work you,ve done on these and the painted figure is excellent . It's nice to see a different army being fielded. The Old WRG books have a section on them I seem to remember.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 11:06:05 PM »
Thanks! I'm planning on using a mix of Footsore Goths, Romans, Saxons, and Saxon Minis Saxon Levy. Since the Franks were foederati for the Romans right up until they turned on Syagrius, I figure that they would have probably gotten some Roman equipment. I plan on putting moustaches and/or braids on some Romans and use the Goths with moustaches. Apparently, the Franks tended to eschew beards for luscious moustaches, so I wont have many with beards, but I'm sure some of the less professional warriors would have beards. This gives me a lot of room for variety with poses and equipment, which will help them look a little more ragtag than the Kingdom of Soissons Gallo-Romans, who I plan on looking a lot like Richard's. The Elites will have some semblance of uniformity, the warriors will likely have nicer clothes (Red stripes/decorations) but less consistently uniformed, and the levies will be a complete mix and match of clothes. Similar to how I'm doing my Romano-Brits, but with a more Germanic influence (lots of stripes and/or checks).

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 05:35:24 AM »
Thanks for posting these guys!!!!!

Those conversions look really, really good. That's going to give a very nice variety to your war bands.

The painted figure really appeals to me. That 'stache really sets him apart as a Frank and is a really nice focal point on the figure, I find it draws my eyes to his face first and clothing second, which I think is your intent... drawing attention to his "frankishness."

I very much love Tancredo's Arthurians, those are fantastic paint jobs (especially his shields which are kind of my "thing"). My own style is a bit more gritty and subdued and that is what it seems like you are going for here. Yet when it comes to Franks, they seemed to have been the most gaudy and colourful Germanics of this period. So, to keep with the gritty style, I find that there is a balancing act when it come to the Franks and I think you are getting that here.

For instance, I've read that they were known for their colourful leggings and you've got the leggings in green. The tunic is a great contrast and complements the shield design very well. And his scarf "pops." So great job on the painted figure, I like him a lot. :-*

Just last week, I got a new book on early Frankish clothing that had been out of print for awhile and I was on the waiting list. It was just republished. I don't know if you speak German, but these are Heere & Waffen books. They're kind of a German version of Osprey. Even if you don't speak German, the plates I feel are extremely helpful and makes the books worth having, especially for a project like this. So I'll suggest these two as sources:

Strassmeir, Andreas and Andreas Gagelmann. Das Fränkische Heer der Merowingerzeit: Franken, Alamannen, Burgunden, Thüringer und Bajuwaren 5.-8. Jahrhundert n. Chr., Teil 1: Bekleidung, Trachtzubehör, Persönliche Ausrüstung, Rüstung. Heere & Waffen 19. Zeughaus Verlag, Berlin 2017. ISBN: 978-3-938447-67-3

Strassmeir, Andreas and Andreas Gagelmann. Das Fränkische Heer der Merowingerzeit: Franken, Alamannen, Burgunden, Thüringer und Bajuwaren 5.-8. Jahrhundert n. Chr., Teil 2: Schild und Schwert. Heere & Waffen 19. Zeughaus Verlag, Berlin 2014. ISBN 978-3-938447-68-0

The first one deals with clothing and the second with weapons. As I said, even if you don't read German they may prove fruitful for this project due to the illustrations alone. I don't have the third book yet as I recall it deal with the late Merowinger period and don't need it for my own 5th century project. But these two I find helpful as the relevant Osprey books may have simply one plate for the Franks as they're trying to cover as many different Germanic tribes of the period as possible.

Looking forward to more updates! :D

You go to war with the figures you have, not the figures you wish you had!

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 06:37:47 AM »
You want a lot of throwing axes, don't you? Those say "Frank" loud and clear. I think I also remember reference to green cloaks with red borders (in addition to snappy stripy tunics).
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Jericho

• Librarian
    • Plastic Warfare Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:13:52 AM »
They look nice!

Might I also suggest these figures from Crusader's range: Early Saxons and Franks

These are the figures I'll be using to oppose my Romans when they're finished.
They have a very distinctive look that sets them apart from Footsore and Saxon.
Swabian knots, braids and a healthy mix of shaven, bearded and moustachioed heads.
Along with spangenhelms, something I haven't seen too much of.
De hem weert, ic salt hem lonen.

Plastic Warfare Blog

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 12:51:18 PM »
Thanks a lot guys! In all honesty, this is the first time that I've received style compliments for my painting, so thank you Richard!

I'll check those books out too, thanks Richard!

Franciscas are coming eventually, I just need to make them. I have a Footsore Horsa or Hengist as one of my Lords, so there's one axe, but I'd like to get some sculpted up and casted so I can just have them carrying them tucked into their belts.

For the rules, I'm thinking that only Warriors and Elites can use Franciscas and will fight more like the Saxons after throwing them (ferociously charging into the fray), whereas their levy will fight more like the Romans (staying in shield walls). Still trying to figure it out though.

At this point in time, I recall hearing that the Swabian knots were out of fasion, but I could be wrong. I would almost welcome being wrong because several of the Saxon Minis Saxon Levies have Swabian knots and if I don't have to replace them with the Frankish braids and shave, that would be cool. A lot of them are completely hairy and wont really fit though. I'm willing to have beards on guys if I can put the Frankish hair on them, but otherwise they will stay Saxons.

Offline Richard in Sachsen

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 02:26:28 PM »
Gripping Beast has Franciscas, take a look in their weapons section. A few of the Franks in my thread are carrying/throwing them.

Offline gostgost

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »
Do keep us posted as the army progresses.

Getting the stripes even and the same size is a pain but they do look good when finished.

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
Interesting faction - as the other said, keep us posted!

Offline gostgost

• Librarian

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 10:01:13 PM »
And the next 5 Frankish Levy are finished! Footsore and Saxon Minis with sculpted hair. The lighting is a little bad, but I can take some better pics tomorrow if you guys want. Let me know what you guys think!

Only 43 more to go!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:23:10 PM by arget8 »

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 11:05:15 PM »
And here are my Romano-Brits/Gallo-Romans so far! I plan on doing the large majority as relatively generic Roman-types so that they can serve a dual purpose. The lords and elites will be entirely unique for each faction along with probably 4-6 of each army with more unique troops to mix with the rest of the generics. As of right now, I only have British painted up, but besides the two elites with black shields and the lords, they are all generic enough to serve as either.

The unique men for the British will have more browns and check patterns while the Gallo Romans will have some stripes to show their Germanic influences.

Here come the Romans!

Levy

Archers

Warriors

Romano-British Elites

Romano British Lords

As you can see, I've made some serious progress towards finishing the Roman contingent, just a couple more lords, at least 10 more elites, 24 or so warriors (For generic, British and Gallo-Romans), and a handful of levy. However, they come along quicker than the Franks as there is no converting really, just Footsore figures straight out of the box. I'm also planning on doing Saxons, but only after I make serious headway on the Romans and Franks.

Let me know what you guys think!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:31:20 PM by arget8 »

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
I,m loving this thread. It's a good idea to paint generic types for the basic units ( wherever possible ) and make the Leaders " stand out or pop " as the Yanks say , to make them easily identifiable for the various tribes | factions. Keep 'em coming .

Offline gostgost

• Librarian
looking good!