Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Advice Wanted: Converting GW Hobbits to Human Children?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Advice Wanted: Converting GW Hobbits to Human Children?
« on: July 02, 2019, 07:51:23 PM »
Hi everyone!

A quick question about conversion possibilities, because I'm having a hard time visualising the proportions here.

How viable/realistic would it be to use the GW Hobbit miniatures to represent human children, to scale with other 25mm (Or Perry Miniatures scale?) humans? Particularly the Scouring of the Shire pony-mounted Hobbits.

I'm thinking about potentially using them to represent some of the younger ASoIaF characters (i.e Big/Little Walder Frey, Tommen, etc.) or other nobility/royalty.

As a handy comparison, here's my Renly Baratheon and Frodo Baggins to give an idea of sizes

It feels to me like the *rider* is proportional enough to be a human child, but I'm not sure about the pony. Would I be better off sawing him in half and using a regular horse and sculpting some new legs? Would this be better especially for a battlefield scenario?

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Advice Wanted: Converting GW Hobbits to Human Children?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 08:44:00 PM »
Converting GW Hobbits to Human Children.

Sounds like some dastardly sorcerer is at work.
Child proportions are difficult.  The younger they are the bigger the head is proportionally.  This is possibly compounded by most 28mm figures having overly large heads.  Your hobbit here just seems to be  just a small adult (although a very nice sculpt).  Can you find an appropriate head swap?

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 08:35:22 AM »
Hasslefree Miniatures do quite a lot of children's figures, in a variety of settings. So perhaps those would be useful for your project?

But when painted appropriately though, I feel that at first glance, and despite the mentioned head issue, the mounted hobbit miniature could actually work too...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »
The main issue is head size. Children's heads will be slightly larger, proportionally.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 07:24:10 PM »
The trouble with the newer GW LOTR hobbits is they are so realistically proportioned to the movie actors! Different ranges will probably give you the larger heads with the exaggerated extremities that you need.

Might want to get rid of those huge feet though. 
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 08:37:51 PM »
Oddly enough, most "heroic" 28mm scale miniatures have the proprtions of children - big heads and hands, comparatively small torsos and short legs.
Black Tree design has some children, as do Mirliton.  None on ponies  :'(

I like the Renly figure, where is that from?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
Thanks for the pointers everyone!

Converting GW Hobbits to Human Children.

Sounds like some dastardly sorcerer is at work.

I laughed out loud at this!  lol

I like the Renly figure, where is that from?

Renly there's a modified Perry Miniatures Henry VI from their War of the Roses range, with some new hair/crown, and a peach sculpted on with green-stuff, if that helps!