Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:02:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painted Reaper Bones Cultists  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
Painted Reaper Bones Cultists
« on: September 04, 2017, 10:34:12 PM »
Finished up the five new cultist sculpts from the Bones III Kickstarter.  Like these for their versatility, they'll fit anything from fantasy (bit of a Conan vibe to them) to moderns to horror without trouble.  Might even do for some scifi, eg Judge Dredd or GW grimdark.  Some of them would make good dungeoncrawl player characters too - that guy with the two-handed sword would have been spot on for the Avenger we had in my last 4E campaign.

Offline Lau

• Librarian
Re: Painted Reaper Bones Cultists
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 08:44:18 AM »
Real good job on painting up all the reaper minis! They all look amazing!

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »
There's still a bunch to do out of the Mythos set, although if the current ones don't sell on ebay over the next few days I may not bother.  The first few (Mi-Go, the gravewailer and Antarctic explorer, the Deep Ones, an dthe gug) sold nicely.  The rest aren't getting any bids so I may shove the Victorians, the adventurers, the hardboiled PI, the tramp freighter crewmen, and the camel to the back of the queue behind things more likely to sell.

Well, maybe not the camel.  It's an absurdly cool fig.  :)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 11:21:13 PM »
Those are really nice!  Is the idol a reaper as well?

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:24:59 PM »
Nobody even looks at the marketplace around here, do they?   :?  Yes, it's a Reaper idol.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 04:58:10 AM »
Really nice and I love how well the Reaper Bones stuff paints up.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 10:08:02 PM »
They've gotten better as time has passed.  The Bones I stuff I wouldn't have bet on the hair and cloth detailing being worth the effort of painting.  Here in Bones III, they've gotten to the point where it definitely is, and there's fewer issues with bendiness warping weapons and the like.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that they're carrying curved baldes, does it?  :)

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 06:03:20 PM »

I don't like the human sculpts, but your brushwork is ace as always, CONGRATULATIONS!  :-*
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 09:52:09 PM »
I don't like the human sculpts, but your brushwork is ace as always, CONGRATULATIONS!  :-*

Thanks.  The humans have kind of grown on me, although they're rather heavily and archaically armed for CoC cultists.  Perfect for fantasy loonies, though.  There are plenty of more modern-looking sinister worshipper types out there anyway - although you rarely see any with just a few "cultist" trappings on over period clothes or with visible period hairstyles.  Love to a see a flapper gal cultist with a daringly skimpy robe and suitable haircut, for ex.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
There are plenty of more modern-looking sinister worshipper types out there anyway - although you rarely see any with just a few "cultist" trappings on over period clothes or with visible period hairstyles.  Love to a see a flapper gal cultist with a daringly skimpy robe and suitable haircut, for ex.

Agreed 100%!  ;)

That mini from FFG Mansions of Madness, for example, is a terrible sculpt IMHO, but the 20s la garçonne hairdo is perfect:

For a future CoC RPG project, I am planning to use the Crooked Dice Female Cultists with some hands and heads swaps from Statuesque Miniatures:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:51:55 PM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »
Boy, that FFG fig is tragic.  If that had lived up to the concept art I'd have been all over painting that model.

The Crooked Dice figs are nice, although I'm not convinced their sculpting's actually better than the Bones ones.  The casting's obviously cleaner, but I like the way the robes flow and drape on the Reaper ones a little better.  With most cultists they're wearing so much clothing that it becomes the main focus of the fig, so that counts for a lot.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 12:09:52 AM »
The Crooked Dice figs are nice, although I'm not convinced their sculpting's actually better than the Bones ones.  The casting's obviously cleaner, but I like the way the robes flow and drape on the Reaper ones a little better.  With most cultists they're wearing so much clothing that it becomes the main focus of the fig, so that counts for a lot.

Good points, but IMHO the Crooked Dice girls with new hairdos will suit better as 1920s cultists! ;)

As male cultists, I like very much those Reaper guys:

They look at little cartoonish, but full of character anyway! :D

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »
As male cultists, I like very much those Reaper guys:

They look at little cartoonish, but full of character anyway! :D

I've done them in varying paint scheme over a dozen times now, usually with some kind of customized critter or spell effect boiling out of the summoning circle they come with.  I find the Bones version economical but annoying - it lacks the cheesecake sacrificial victim the metal version comes with, which is an shame.  Reaper's unwillingness to do anything even vaguely risqué in Bones is a decided failing, especially since they refuse to sell metal parts anymore. 

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »
Reaper's unwillingness to do anything even vaguely risqué in Bones is a decided failing, especially since they refuse to sell metal parts anymore. 

IMHO, the "Bones" line is a shame!  lol

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 10:30:19 PM »
IMHO, the "Bones" line is a shame!  lol

So you enjoy paying $15.99 instead of $5.29 for that extra sacrifice victim and the pleasure of painting metal?  The cultists casts are identical quality in either material and are vastly easier to do conversions on in Bones. 

To each their own, but I'll stick with the bargain here.  And I'm very glad that Bones as a whole came along, because it's let Reaper do literally dozens of gigantic, incredible sculpts that would have been absurdly expensive in metal or resin and would likely never have existed.