Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:50:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Z for Zorro  (Read 3987 times)

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
Z for Zorro
« on: February 16, 2007, 12:12:36 PM »
With the swashbucklers, I also painted Zorro (from Artizan Design).

I didn't consider that Zorro was a real swashbuckler until I read something about William Lamport

from  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Lamport

William Lamport (1615-1659) was an Irish-born Catholic adventurer who according to at least one historian gained a nickname of El Zorro, the Fox, due to his exploits in Mexico. The attribution of the nickname, however, is disputed.

n 1627 Lamport was arrested in London for sedition for distributing Catholic pamphlets. He escaped, left Britain for Spain and became a pirate for the next two years. He also fought for the French at the Siege of La Rochelle against the Huguenots.

In 1643 he joined one the three Spanish-sponsored Irish regiments and took part of the combat against Swedish forces in the Spanish Netherlands. His accord in the Battle of Nordlingen in 1634 attracted interest of Duke of Olivares, chief minister to the Philip IV of Spain, who eventually helped him to enter the service of the King. By that time he had hispanised his name to Guillén Lombardo.

Exiled from the royal court, allegedly because of a scandalous love affair with a noblewoman, Lamport was sent to Mexico, to spy for the Count-Duke of Olivares. Here he began to sympathize with local Indians slaves and studied native medicine. Inquisition documents merit him with bravery, a love affair with one Spanish noblewoman and the support, if not the initiation of, a burgeoning independence movement.

In 1642, when he was about to be engaged to the noblewoman Antonia Turcious, the Spanish Inquisition arrested him and accused him of plotting a war of independence against Spain. He was sentenced to ten years in jail. He escaped in 1650 and survived just two days as a fugitive. He sneaked out at night and plastered anti-Inquisition pamphlets on the walls of Mexico City. In 1659 the Spanish Inquisition condemned him to death as a heretic and sentenced him to be burned at the stake. Legend holds that he struggled out of his ropes before he would burn to death and strangled himself by his iron collar.

In the late twentieth century it was suggested by an Italian historian that Lamport was the inspiration for Johnston McCulley's fictional hero "Zorro". The treatment of this claim in the popular press led to Lamport being labelled in the popular imagination as "The Irish Zorro". Such claims, along with many others such as the idea that he was either a gigolo, a famous swordsman, the secret lover of the viceroy's wife, or the subject of a painting by Rubens are disputed by Irish historians. Apart from his amazingly adventurous life, his only undisputed claim to fame probably lies in the fact that he was the author of the first declaration of independence in the Indies, a document that promised land reform, equality of opportunity, racial equality and a democratically elected monarch over a century before the French Revolution.

Finally William Lamport is definitevely a Swashbuckler!

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Zorro-Extraordinary-Adventures-1615-1659/dp/086322329X

Olivier

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Z for Zorro
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:23:43 PM »
Ay-ay-ay, muerte! :D Muy excellente, Senor!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Z for Zorro
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:32:54 PM »
Excellent miniature and an enjoyable read. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Professional Zombie-Hunte

• Assistant
Z for Zorro
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 02:56:46 PM »
Did you say you got that Zorro mini from Artizan? I've been deperately searching for a suitable 25mm Zorro mini, and I went and looked and I couldn't find him, could you provide a link perhaps?

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Z for Zorro
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:10:31 PM »
Great miniature, Olivier! Black is a terribly hard color to paint, and you did a great job.  :love:

Thanks for the bio of William Lamport, too! I'll have to work him in some game of Gloire...

Offline SgtPerry

• Mad Scientist
    • Perry's Heroes
Z for Zorro
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 03:53:35 PM »
Quote from: "Professional Zombie-Hunte"
Did you say you got that Zorro mini from Artizan? I've been deperately searching for a suitable 25mm Zorro mini, and I went and looked and I couldn't find him, could you provide a link perhaps?

You have first to join Artizan Designs'  newsgroup on Yahoo

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/artizan

Once on the group, search for "Zorro Mini" in the messages list and you should find a message from Dylan explaining how to get it.

Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Great miniature, Olivier! Black is a terribly hard color to paint, and you did a great job.  :love:

Thanks for the bio of William Lamport, too! I'll have to work him in some game of Gloire...

I ordered the book. It should be a good source of inspiration for 17th century games.

Olivier

Olivier

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
Z for Zorro
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »
were can I get these Zorro ?
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Z for Zorro
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 06:03:17 PM »
Quote from: "Grimm"
were can I get these Zorro ?

Quote from the Artizan Yahoo Group:

"Order any single Pulp figure from Dylan on the website, and just put "Replace it with Zorro please" and Dylan will oblige."
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84