Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689697
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Best" Pathans  (Read 10328 times)

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
Re: "Best" Pathans
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 07:23:12 PM »
Gerry at Castaway ships very quickly.  You can order from him with confidence!
-Tommy

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 07:46:56 PM »
I was also shocked to see OG shipping rates to germany. After i sent an email I received another shipping rate.
, ,

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 08:32:20 AM »
I have Old Glory, Foundry, Tiger, Castaway Arts, Askari, & some old hinchcliffe & assorted others. The Foundery & Castaway Arts are the nicest. But the Old Glory are the best buy. I bought a bunch to split with another gamer so I wouldn't have too much duplication, this range is so full of variety that I could have kept the whole bunch. The Tiger figures are over sized the poses are a little ackward & the metal is thin & brittle. But they don't look too bad painted up.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 03:04:51 PM »
Thanks, all for the great advice.

I've made my first order - now to see how the package service is here!  I finally decided to start with Castaway - once those are painted I may supplement them with Foundry.

Cheers!

w

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 08:06:45 PM »
I also mix in figures from various Mogel & some ancient or medieval lines.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2009, 11:05:51 PM »
Castaway Arts have a very nice range of Pathans an I've seen these in the flesh. Ask Hammers what he thinks as I sent him some!

Askaris Miniatures also have a small range which looks nice.

Helen

I certainly concur that, although Lady H would not sue such vulgarities, they are the shit. Cptn Blood once told me that they have banana appendices, and I may agree to a very slight degree but this is more than adequately compensated by other characteristics.

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 10:15:59 PM »
Does anyone know of a manufacturer who produces 20th century NWF tribesmen to fight the British in the 1920s/30s. I already have tribesmen with older weapons, but I want to augment them with figure with with (captured or smuggled?) bolt-action rifles and preferably wearing bandoliers.
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:50 PM »
I have researched this quite a bit and you do very well with Pathans with Martini rifles and jezzails even in that era. The tribes used predominantly (stolen) British weapons (although they'd take anything) but there was a fair amount of guns the manufactured today. Lee-Metfords/Enfields were rarities among the tribesmen according to my books.

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:59 AM »
Does anyone know of a manufacturer who produces 20th century NWF tribesmen to fight the British in the 1920s/30s. I already have tribesmen with older weapons, but I want to augment them with figure with with (captured or smuggled?) bolt-action rifles and preferably wearing bandoliers.

In a post of last year I proposed to contact and order some pathans, dressed and equipped for the 20'-30's from Eureka,( 100 series ) if you have interest contact Nick, he should reach 10 people and 100 figs in total.
Piero

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 09:43:58 PM »
There is always this being offered on the wargames factory site.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=40555
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 06:15:08 AM »
Not wanting to be the eternal naysayer, but having had experience of some Tiger Miniatures figures recently (I'm actually working on some now) I can only say... Never Again!

Not only are they manufactured from some kind of metal that is totally impervious to all tools known to man (making cleaning them up the most tedious experience I have ever had the misfortune to endure), but they really are some of the most hideously mishapen trolls ever sculpted.

Still catching up after failing to check the forum for some time...

It's interesting that you came to this conclusion.  I ordered the Tiger Pathans back when they first came out, in an attempt to add some variety to the collection of Foundry figures.  I was somewhat disappointed.  They're not that far off in size, but the style and casting quality just aren't as nice as Foundry.  I have set them aside for now, and will probably paint them if I live long enough, but there's not much about them that cries to be moved to the head of the painting queue.

Being more moderate in choice of words than Plynkes may be a first, but I share his unhappiness.

Allen
What fresh hell is this?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »
Not wanting to be the eternal naysayer, but having had experience of some Tiger Miniatures figures recently (I'm actually working on some now) I can only say... Never Again!

Not only are they manufactured from some kind of metal that is totally impervious to all tools known to man (making cleaning them up the most tedious experience I have ever had the misfortune to endure), but they really are some of the most hideously mishapen trolls ever sculpted.

Still catching up after failing to check the forum for some time...

It's interesting that you came to this conclusion.  I ordered the Tiger Pathans back when they first came out, in an attempt to add some variety to the collection of Foundry figures.  I was somewhat disappointed.  They're not that far off in size, but the style and casting quality just aren't as nice as Foundry.  I have set them aside for now, and will probably paint them if I live long enough, but there's not much about them that cries to be moved to the head of the painting queue.

Being more moderate in choice of words than Plynkes may be a first, but I share his unhappiness.

Allen

I appreciate frank and even harsh reviews of miniatures. I was also planing on adding some Tiger Pathans and Afghans but I will snow save myself some annoyance.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 09:27:25 AM »
I feel I should point out that my experience is with the Tiger Schutztruppe figures (specifically the foot troops, who have big hands and crude, ogre faces - the mounted camel guys are actually quite nice), rather than the Pathans. I was talking about Tiger generally. Argsilverson seems to think the quality is improving, so maybe the Pathans are better, and more like the camel riders.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 10:48:46 AM »
...so maybe the Pathans are better, and more like the camel riders.

According to aecurtis unfortunately no.

Offline aecurtis

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 01:21:08 AM »
I can't really say, as I only have the Pathans firing.  I had passed on ordering the Schuetztruppen later, as the online photos did not fill me with confidence.  Looking back at the Pathans online, I think I should have known better, as their photo looks rather worse!

The Camel Corps photo is suffuciently small that it gives nothing away...

Allen