Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:44:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New sky ships from Scythe.  (Read 2215 times)

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
New sky ships from Scythe.
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:27:50 PM »
Just a heads up, Scythe the board game apparently has an expansion coming out that adds airships to the game.
I can't speak for the game as i've never played it, But the ships look pretty and could make a great homebrew air fleet game or add to some 6mm gaming.

Apparently they're about 10cm long , So for the price they don't look too bad!
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: New sky ships from Scythe.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 12:39:52 PM »
The game is interesting, far less war game than it looks at first, but quite interesting.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed that all the ships are the same model, only different colours. The different styles of the miniatures in the original were half the fun!
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 01:29:16 PM »
Thanks, I'll check it out!

Doug

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:54:31 PM »
The game is interesting, far less war game than it looks at first, but quite interesting.

I must admit I'm a bit disappointed that all the ships are the same model, only different colours. The different styles of the miniatures in the original were half the fun!
Exactly!
Scythe is a nice tabletop game with 5 (7 with the expansion) factions in 1920-ish alternative history, with each faction increasing its population of workers, recruiting, getting oil, ore food or wood to support building of structures or mechs or getting technological upgrades, with Tesla's factory and its own advantages in the middle of the board. Wife and I play each weekend and we're not bored yet, although it's been months. Each faction has its own advantages, and it's fairly balanced. Should be more fun with more players (up to 7, again with the first expansion, Invaders from Afar). Very highly recommended.
I have to confess buying an extra set of mechs and characters to paint up...

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
Exactly!
Scythe is a nice tabletop game with 5 (7 with the expansion) factions in 1920-ish alternative history, with each faction increasing its population of workers, recruiting, getting oil, ore food or wood to support building of structures or mechs or getting technological upgrades, with Tesla's factory and its own advantages in the middle of the board. Wife and I play each weekend and we're not bored yet, although it's been months. Each faction has its own advantages, and it's fairly balanced. Should be more fun with more players (up to 7, again with the first expansion, Invaders from Afar). Very highly recommended.
I have to confess buying an extra set of mechs and characters to paint up...
[/quote

It sounds a little bit like twilight imperium in scope, But I imagine better implemented in practice.
I really like the artwork for the game but I have to say that the vast scope sort of puts me off it as i can already feel myself getting confused and forgetting parts of the game..

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »

It sounds a little bit like twilight imperium in scope, But I imagine better implemented in practice.
I really like the artwork for the game but I have to say that the vast scope sort of puts me off it as i can already feel myself getting confused and forgetting parts of the game..
It's actually very easy to get used to, although it appears complex at first glance. And the artwork is gorgeous.

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 04:15:11 PM »
Right, the game is fun, but you have to know where are you bumping into -it's strictly an eurogame, it's all about resource management, even combats. But I have enjoyed it enormously.
The airship stuff is enormously cool, I didn't know of this, I'll have a look at it. But yes, the fact of all the ships being just the same doesn't make any sense for me, as the factions are fairly different.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 02:58:28 PM »
Well, either there's only one source of the technology in the game-verse...

...or the company is cutting corners in a fairly short-sighted, but understandable manner.

There are a LOT of games out there, and it's tough to cut a niche. I found the box interesting, but not compelling when I first saw it. Comments here will make me revisit. On your heads...  lol

Doug

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 03:08:26 PM »
Well, either there's only one source of the technology in the game-verse...

...or the company is cutting corners in a fairly short-sighted, but understandable manner.

There are a LOT of games out there, and it's tough to cut a niche. I found the box interesting, but not compelling when I first saw it. Comments here will make me revisit. On your heads...  lol

Doug
It's both!
There IS one source of tech, that's the Factory at the centre of the board, which gives players Factory cards which are special actions which can be taken.
BUT although the Factory is the source of the mechs (large walkers), they are all different, one design for each faction, so the ship design is probably a cost cutting exercise; which in all fairness is probably reasonable.

The factions are alternate Poland, Germany, Ukraine, Russia and Scandinavia; the expansion adds Japan and Scotland.

One thing not mentioned yet (I think!) is that it includes solo play too, using automata cards to generate the action of the opponent force.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:43 PM »
One thing not mentioned yet (I think!) is that it includes solo play too, using automata cards to generate the action of the opponent force.

Oh, merde, NOW you've done it. It'll be all on YOUR head!  ;D

Doug

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
Oh, merde, NOW you've done it. It'll be all on YOUR head!  ;D

Doug
:D
Go for it Doug!