Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:33:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Target for Tonight - Devon Wargames Group  (Read 4891 times)

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
Re: Target for Tonight - Devon Wargames Group
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 07:52:43 AM »
Hi Chaps,
As you might imagine I have been fielding requests for these rules and I thought it might be helpful to let you know where we are at it turns of next steps.

Firstly I can confirm that the author of TfT is or was from the UK as I met him when I bought the rules at the Plymouth club show where he ran a demo game. I am guessing this was in about 2000 as that is the date of publication in the rules I have.

I have left a message with the chaps at Plymouth to see if anyone knows the author or someone who might know him but have not heard anything yet.

I plan to run another game next month at the DWG and will use that posting to make another request for the author to get in contact on that and other forums

I am very happy to release a copy of the rules in PDF but am respectful of intellectual property rights and the legality of such an action and so am keen to see if that is possible once all attempts to contact Mr Thomas have been exhausted.

I know this is frustrating for those who want to have a go with TfT but I am sure you will understand the situation.

Cheers
JJ
Often it is better to remain silent and let people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove all possible doubt.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 09:43:29 AM »
JJ
Thanks for the info.
Nice that you are on the case
Appreciate the feedback.
Let's hope we find this man.
Flatpack

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
Thanks for the update

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2017, 01:16:47 AM »
Thank you for your efforts. This looks like a very interesting, and potentially popular, set of rules which just needed a little more exposure.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 07:45:36 AM »
Yes, thank you for your efforts on trying to publicize this, and to help find the author of the rules.

Sadly, it doesn't look too promising, given the elapsed time period, but I will continue to hope they can be made available to those that are interested in them, by the author, at some point in the future.

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 12:54:44 PM »
One of four games this month was, as mentioned in this thread, another game of 'Target for Tonight' recreating a raid on Berlin in February 1944.

The post highlights some of the ongoing changes we have added to improve what are a relatively old set of rules with some much needed additions and refinements.

If anyone knows anything about these rules and its author please drop a reply either here or on the blog post as others have expressed an interest in getting hold of a copy.

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to the DWG blog.

https://devonwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/target-for-tonight-big-city.html

Jonathan (JJ)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 02:50:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing another great battle write up.

Sounds like fun, and the rules mods you've made do sound like they're working well.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 09:45:27 PM »
As I previously posted, for those of you who need/want a RAF Night Bombing Raid fix anytime soon, you might seek out the following book at the local library, or via an inter-library loan, since the rules posted in them are somewhat/very similar (uses 2D6 instead of D10s, but they do use the bomber route sectors in TforT), but I suspect far less inclusive than Target for Tonight, based upon the battle reports posted thus far:

Donald Featherstone's Air Wargames: Revised Edition -- Wargaming Aerial Warfare 1914-1975 (edited by Jack Curry)

Still, they look to be decent enough for beer and pretzels sorties, though in some areas there need to be some house rules created to cover certain events, or to just use the existing rules for damage to the bomber(s), e.g. follow-on nightfighter attacks, if your bomber isn't immediately shot down when one shows up.

I've had some fun tweaking and bolting on some other things too, just for grins, when I run across those, or want to add in a few more, just for color.

One I'm still considering is variable loss rates for the different bomber types - may want to include altitude modifiers, and/or just a mod. for the types of bombers.

Apparently, surviving the bailout from a Lanc in 1943 was as low as 11%, and doing so from a Halifax was 29%, according to a study supposedly done by the RAF in Jan. 1944.  They kept the results secret from the aircrews, for obvious reasons.  Hals had much higher loss rates on ops though, as did the Stirlings too.

Still looking for bailout survival percentages for the Stirlings and Wellingtons, if anyone happens to run across those, especially for the Battle of the Ruhr, Hamburg, and Berlin periods of 1943, and early 1944.

I was surprised to see mention of single engine nightfighters as well, over the Ruhr, but there are quite a few mentions of them, prior to the July 1943 period, when supposedly they officially entered the battle, over Hamburg.  It appears than Hajo Hermann and his mates were active a bit earlier than is commonly known, or mentioned in the historical accounts.

Offline carojon

• Mastermind
    • JJ's Wargames
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »
Following the numerous enquires here and on other forums about the availability of these rules following the game reports posted here in September and October, I have some good news.

My investigations finally paid off and thanks to various parties I have managed to contact Mr Thomas ,the author, who has kindly got back to me to let me know that a free PDF of the rules will be shortly available from John Curry's, 'History of Wargaming' site.

http://www.wargaming.co

Thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoy Target for Tonight.

JJ

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
Interesting website. I've bookmarked it. Thankyew.
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
That is excellent news, JJ.

Thank you for the update.

I look forward to seeing them soon.

Offline madman

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 08:49:57 PM »
Thank you for all your effort, and a big thank you to Mr. Thomas. I hope he is pleased his rules are gaining a following.

Stephen

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 09:09:37 PM »
Great news- thanks for all your work on the matter.

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 10:05:46 PM »
Great!
Thank you very much!

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 11:30:11 PM »
...Mr Thomas ,the author...has kindly got back to me to let me know that a free PDF of the rules will be shortly available from John Curry's, 'History of Wargaming' site.

As a bystander (both virtual and material - and one who can barely give his stuff away  ;) ) I wonder if -given the demand- some sort of charitable fund could be set up for those obtaining the PDF to contribute to?  It may not be much, but... ?