Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:32:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Target for Tonight - Devon Wargames Group  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: Target for Tonight - Devon Wargames Group
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 01:41:23 AM »
Please let us know when they are available.

In the meantime, I'm pressing on with mods for the Ruhr rules listed in the Featherstone book, and having a bit of fun running some trial sorties with them.  Loss rates seem to be a bit sporadic, with some heavy at times, and then rather sparse for others, but still good fun.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
I inquired with John, over on the Wargames website, and he said they're working on making it available, and ensuring it is fully updated.

If all goes to plan, looks like perhaps mid to late January for availability.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 10:18:06 AM »
I have received an email from John Curry to say the "Target for Tonight" rulebook is now available for pre-order from his site. Release due for 23rd February (possibly a bit earlier).

Printed softback or Kindle ebook formats. Now up to 84 pages.

http://www.wargaming.co/recreation/solowargaming.htm

Price £12.95 plus shipping

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 05:13:57 PM »
Excellent news :D

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 04:40:45 PM »
Target For Tonight is hopefully being printed next week, and will be ready shortly according to John :)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
My copy arrived at the weekend.  Comes via Lulu PoD service.
Excellent quality printing, good paper, softback cover.  Plenty of information and background in there as well as the rules.
Just need to work out some playsheets for the early bombers I have as the game only covers the Lancaster.

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2018, 03:59:14 PM »
Still waiting for mine, must chase him up.

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
Received,  probably needs though a rereading a few times as things are not laid out well, and somethings need a bit of clarification, however as for me it's a solo game, it does appear okay to play as it stands. And its moddable, Interested in a previous comment about Ian Dury's game "Enemy Coast Ahead" But my google Fu is weak and i cannot find a reference to it?

Regarding fuel pips, i've decided that when the die reaches 6, its empty, and you gain a pip every time you get bounced and or have to go around/rejoin the stream, so you have to think can i go one more zone or should i turn back.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »
That should be "Ian Drury", but I don't think there is a version of ECA online. It was only available as a Conference of Wargamers or Wargame Development presentation game not a published one as far as I know.

Regarding fuel in Target for Tonight, you will need to change the tendencies of the crew if you are going to penalise a "Go round again"with a fuel pip. If the plane is forced off the bombrun some aimers/pilots will dump bombs but most are obliged to go again. Depending on your luck with the cards missing your bombrun is very easy
 :(

You will need to set a maximum number of "go-rounds" the plane attempts before aborting.
I am looking at allowing only 2 further attempts after the initial off run failure before obliging the crew to attempt a secondary target.
I would be interested to see what game options you come up with.

Looking at the game as a campaign basis I think the overall risk needs to be much reduced. The rules always make the player group the "unlucky" ones by concentrating all the losses on them. The test games I have done have about a 66% loss rate (not unheard of for specific squadrons on specific missions) but I think is too high for an extended campaign game.
I am still thinking on ideas for this.
But then I first played TfT in testing in the 1990s and remember thinking about this back then too.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 01:52:05 PM by robh »

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2018, 03:46:21 PM »
Im aiming at only one go around, regarding the D6, i see your point, may increase it to a D8, dont want it too high, as otherwise it makes the Lancaster a flying petrol tank. Have been looking at doing the risks etc as a D20 and keeping damage as a D10. will look at the Featherstone book for other ideas, the game as it is, is still playable and very thematic, but i do love more the ability to add on things.

Offline S_P

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
My copy arrived this morning- looking forward to being able to give it a proper read through.