Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:15:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Danish army in the Cold war  (Read 9604 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Danish army in the Cold war
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:13:19 AM »
To compliment my 6mm cold war gaming I wanted to do some 28mm skirmishing. And since our cold war gaming takes place in Denmark I started on a Danish army first. I boght a batch of West German army from Under Fire Miniatures. as they fit very nice for a mid eighties danish army. The miniatures themselves are great there is hardy a moldline on them. And Bill from Under fire Miniature provided excellent service. I wrote and asked if I could swap the Uzi arm from the command pact to a G3 arm and he had a rummage around and send me the extra arm.

But anyways enough chat. On to some pictures.

Unfortunately one of the minis was badly damaged in postage his gun was badly bent and broken. And although Bill is kindly sending a replacement. I felt the mini was to good to let go to waste. So I cut of the damaged gun and replaced it with an AT4 bit I had in my bits box.

When I have finished this batch next in line is a M113 for them to drive around in. And then I think it is back to Under fire miniatures for some East Germans to make the opposing force.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:23:35 PM by Dr. Zombie »

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
Re: Danish army in the Cold war
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:26:44 PM »
Looks good!

Buy your guys an M41 tank, to strengthen their defense posture a bit.

I'm planning on doing Danes in 1/144th and 1/100th scales, but the larger troops look very nice too.

Offline gimzod

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 09:45:48 PM »
Very nice

Hope they can hold back the red hordes.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:10:31 PM »
That's pretty cool. Now you can play platoon and squad ops next to your brigade/battalion games.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Westy38

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »
Fantastic work there Sir. I love the conversion work you did on the broken mini. A replacement's going in the post today btw.

Going forward, whilst I will be concentrating, next year, on 28MM Soviets & 80's U.S.A., where could I find a reference for 80's Danes so that I can do a ''Danish'' pack to give a Danish feel to the Germans ?

Regards,

Bill Weston.
www.underfireminiatures.com

P.S. Excellent painting too.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:22:31 PM »
Thanks a lot.

It is a bit tough to find info on the Danish army in English. But as far as armament goes they were equiped with the G3 Rifles and the MG3. Officers/NCO's were often equippen with the Mp M/49 The infantry anti tank capability was from AT4 and the Carl Gustav
And the M40 Recoilless Rifle ot TOW mounted on Jeeps or Land Rovers.

And if we start to count buttons The webbing is a bit different from the German. The danish cantine is like the American one. Where the German one is quite distinct in it shape.

And then from 1985-86 The army changes uniforms to the more modern M/84 uniform system. The M40 recoilless Rifle is taken out of service as the Carl Gustav gets fully implemented to all infantry units.

But really to answer your question if you add a MG3 to one of the infantry packs it would do the trick. And if you made some guys with a Carl Gustav and MP M/49 THat would indeed rock.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:39:39 PM by Dr. Zombie »

Offline MHoxie

• Bookworm
  • Peek-a-boo
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »
Add in a Centurion tank so they can fight Reptilicus! Centurions are cool even without marionette kaiju.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 08:12:31 AM »
Oh crap! I had forgotten about Reptilicus. Now I might need to build that monster.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 08:56:05 AM »
Add in a Centurion tank so they can fight Reptilicus! Centurions are cool even without marionette kaiju.

I saw that as a Mystery Theatre 3K episode.

Offline Erik

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
Wow. That really takes you back to your army days. Webbing, helmet and G3 fits perfectly.

How many are you planing to paint? Are you doing a full platoon or just a squad? What about some recon guys in stripped Down mercedes? Nothing like a bunch of those testosteronepumped loudmouths to spice up a good wargaming table.

I am looking forward to trying them out.

Erik

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »
I am not sure how manny I am going to do. But somehow small side projects always tend to grow. I was thinking of doing some Hjemmeværnet (national guard) with even older equipment and Garant rifles.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
I am not sure how manny I am going to do. But somehow small side projects always tend to grow. I was thinking of doing some Hjemmeværnet (national guard) with even older equipment and Garant rifles.
That would also look pretty cool

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 07:58:59 PM »
Super models, I'm a big fan of all things from Under Fire and Bill is a great bloke to deal.
I had a go at converting the machine gunner from pack 3 into a Portuguese, didn't turn out to bad.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
I finished a great big batch of Cold War miniatures.

First of more Danish soldiers defending a roadblock.

And the Danish Home Guard mustering in the parking lot behind the local supermarket. Note the outdated equipment and gung ho attitude.

A tectonic shift in my lead mountain revealed that I actually had some soviet troops already. From Eurika I believe. At least that is what the bag said.

Some dismounted tankers.

Soviet troops advancing down the street.

Today the replacement figure also arrived from Bill at Under Fire miniatures arrived today. Unfortunately the post had given it the same treatment as its predecessor. But I did not want to ask Bill for a replacement for the replacement.

So I made a weapon swap on this guy as well. I had bought some MG3s from TAG to make some Home Guard with MG3s. And the pose of the replacement Bill sent me fitted perfect to also get an MG.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
I recently found this document and thought you may find it useful. I don't speak/read Danish but Google Translate would appear to do a fair job. If you hunt through it you'll find a TO&E for the III Mechanised Battalion of the Jutland Dragoons c.1985:

http://baltap.dk/BALTAP/III_JDR_1985.pdf