Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:21:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Astral Sailors/Troopers: WiP sci fi 28mm scale humans  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
Re: Astral Sailors/Troopers: WiP sci fi 28mm scale humans
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 02:17:04 AM »
Yes, right now i have  5 wikipedia tabs with different  gatling-like weapons and some machines guns, the winner was the mini gun (GAU - 17), i am redisgning the weapon, leaving the BIG one for a mecha/vehicle. Tomorrow will upload the result :D

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
So, based on feedback it had to be decreased in size now is a mini gun "gatling"... the previous design was quite "voluptuous" ...

Please take in count this is a fast posed model , meaning is has stretched polygons in articulations, it was made as a sketch to see how to place the gatling.

Now he has a bigger back pack, he carries the machete, grenades and has a feed belt :D

In the 3rd pic i added a PLACEHOLDER (not finished) shield, as this unit is meant to give heavy cover/supress, and in the worst of cases would cover the retreat of the rest of the squad, action to which a nice shield would be "handy".

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 10:43:44 PM »
Much better proportions.

As is, the muzzle end lacks detail (I think I see what it is meant to look like).

The backpack ammo hopper and feed look good.

The machete mount looks awkward, would an over the shoulder draw look better?

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 11:03:09 PM »
Now i feel i want to see again that movie  :D

The end of muzzle has almot flat/plain surface because of "mold wise" reasons since i want to make it 1 part, the end of the muzzle  will need to be "dremelled".

The shoulder draw would be posible if the thickens of the armour, and shoulder would not make it imposible haha, so, having that  as limitation, i figured out that drawing from bottom actually lets you draw and hit with the first swing, and then you will need to  acomodate your hands on the grip, i will do a render about that soon.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2017, 12:04:58 AM »
Given the reason you postulated for the shield, I think it could be made even bigger like a Pavise. After all, modern police riot shields are pretty big. 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2017, 03:46:17 AM »

Chimney:
the tecnology is quite "near future" based on actual  tecnology levels: will have coil gun, railgun sniper rifle, and as you see, the space suit (level 1) is fit, not bulky, showing advanced tecnology that allows to make thinner suits. THen, comes the exosuit/skeleton, and finally the plates, made of  dense polymers + balistic ceramics + titanium, meaning that  steam has no place here haha, woudl not be able to feed the energy requirments, it is more like bateries and electricity.

As I appear to have been multi-unclear, (blame my advance years, not your English) please understand that VSF = Victorian Science Fiction, sometimes, though will start arguments about being the same, referred to as 'steampunk.' Stack/chimney was in that context. I knew you weren't going in that direction, just saying it has a bit of that feel.

In this case, starting to have just a bit of the feel of the anime Sakura Wars, as well.

Doug

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »
Now i feel i want to see again that movie  :D
You definitely want to see the making of bit I mentioned.

The end of muzzle has almot flat/plain surface because of "mold wise" reasons since i want to make it 1 part, the end of the muzzle  will need to be "dremelled".
That is what I meant by being able to see what you were after.

The shoulder draw would be posible if the thickens of the armour, and shoulder would not make it imposible haha, so, having that  as limitation, i figured out that drawing from bottom actually lets you draw and hit with the first swing, and then you will need to  acomodate your hands on the grip, i will do a render about that soon.
Conan seems to find an over the shoulder draw effective ^__^. Though that is a cross the shoulder (right hand over left shoulder), I see what you mean, good point

I was not sure if the figure could reach the machete there either and would possibly have to change grip.

Alternative locations are on the opposite forearm, the scabbard forms part of the armour, or on the inside of the shield.

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »
i will make the machete  a bit less wide so it looks more comfortable to carry and more "weildeable" (that word exist? XD )

in the other hand:

Missile launcher "railgun": no recoil, less recoil , cheaper  ammo, light weith= more rounds, more maximum range; perfect.

Fast posed model  to get an idea of the look:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:22:26 AM by Menhir Games »

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
Hmm. Why is he collecting the exhaust from his missiles?

Tube and backpack are surplus to requirements. Loading arm and more missile cartridges would be better. The blast shield is very unwieldy.

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2017, 07:16:17 PM »
the tube feeds the railgun..

and inside the back pack of course you can imagen there is more ammo haha

the blast shield you mean the targeting panel and lents? :

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2017, 09:24:51 PM »
Wieldable sounds perfectly reasonable (even if my spell checker says otherwise).

Railguns have recoil, rockets do not (there are other effects).

They also need a longer "barrel" for acceleration (rocket launcher barrels increase accuracy, range is unaffected). Unless the round is not going to fall on the firer's foot it is going to have a lot of recoil. Grav compensators might help, but I think it does not match the story.

You might be better off with a shoulder mounted cannon.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2017, 12:20:17 PM »
the tube feeds the railgun..

and inside the back pack of course you can imagen there is more ammo haha

the blast shield you mean the targeting panel and lents?
He's got a huge helmet-why not have a head-up display inside it?

The Javelin pictured is for shooting at tanks and you don't walk around carrying it with the optics panel in front of your face.

To me the suits are good but I think you need to have a look at the weaponry as it just doesn't fit for Space Marine types. Using modern stuff for inspiration is fine but you need to have a think about how it would evolve for use in space.

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 01:51:10 AM »
@Wachaza: i get your point, there is a matter of desing limitations that  just cant cut with all points of view:  the guy with the missile launcher move /march with the  weapon resting on his back pack, like here :

The miniature bits will allow to decide if assembling aiming/shooting or in the back pack, i justdecided to make a fast pose to see how it would look, and i made him shooting because it was more interesitng than just walking..

All astral sailors have  a digital display in their space suit helmets (level 1-2, the level 3 is just plates, analog) ,used for aiming their basic weapons (rifle and plasma gun, this far) , but big weapons are "all in one" (have their own aiming system), so they can be used by other soldiers not suited up with same tecnology as astral sailors

In the other hand the panel is optional, the weapon consist of 5 pieces: magazine, feeding tube, panel and  barrel :o

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 02:05:36 AM »
I have been working on the parts, and have made properly posed  examples:

Also, "modular weapon" to sastify those petions regarding weapons, now you can put 1, 2 or none of the side plates of the hand-weapons:

so, here are the 3 rifleman  using these parts: