Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:19:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: MagpieJono's assorted fantasy stuff  (Read 3604 times)

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
MagpieJono's assorted fantasy stuff
« on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:31 AM »
I've been making graveyard terrain...

First up some gravestone sections. Inspired by a blogpost by Sh03box.

I started with some 2mm epvc board I think its called. Basically its the thin sign board stuff that is firm but slightly pliable and you can easily cut it with strong scissors or a craft knife.

I cut it into rectangles then made the edges more organic looking with scissors. Then used a craft knife to angle the edges. I had loads of gravestones from GW sprues and a Renedra pack I bought so these were glued on with superglue. Then stuck on some fish tank grit in two sizes and some sand before giving the base a thin coat of PVA to keep it all stuck down.

Then a spray of grey primer.

Before painting.

I sprayed the base brown with my airbrush and painted the stones various shades of grey with the odd light brown one chucked in for variety. The whole lot was then given a dark brown wash before some drybrushing. A bit of brown ink wash for some staining before they were all given a coat of matt varnish. Then added some tufts and some birch cone bits for leaves. I'm really pleased with how they came out. 19 sections in total of various lengths.

Some close ups and some with some undead miniatures.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: MagpieJono's assorted fantasy stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:15:32 AM »
They look really good, nice job! I've a few grave stones kicking around i keep meaning to do something with. This is just the sort of inspiration I need.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:09:23 AM »
Thanks. I'm pleased with them and glad they've inspired you. I was wanting to make a graveyard for ages but wasn't really happy with making a big rigid piece. This way it can be set up whatever shape and size I want. I've got a GW Garden of Morr to do next for some walls and larger monuments. All assembled just need  to prime and paint.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
Top Job, the grey and brown tones work really nicely and the leaves are a nice touch
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »
Nearly completed an Undead warband for Mordheim.

First up a Necromancer. A slightly converted Ral Partha wizard.

Next up three dregs. The two outside ones are the original GW ones with different arms and the middle on is a Ral Partha thug again converted a little bit.

Three Ghouls. Standard GW models.

Three more Ghouls

A more special Ghoul to distinguish if one becomes a Hero in the warband. The leader model from the GW Ghouls sprues.

Now some Zombies. These are from The Assault Group kickstarter of Landsneck Zombies. I think that fit the bill wonderfully as Zombies raised from the dead of other Mordheim warbands. Grubby look to them which is not my normal painting style but appropriate for the subject.

First three.

Four more.

Now just a Vampire and a Doom Wolf to paint and the warband will be finished. I've managed to get my hands on one of the original Mordheim vampire modes and am very happy!

Hope you like them.

Offline ketoeloeh

• Librarian
    • Golden Goblin Gaming Group
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 06:08:01 PM »
Very cool! Love your paintwork, and great selection of models. Looking forward to see more (hint!) :)
Golden Goblin by day & night, Great Old One after hours!

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
Very cool! Love your paintwork, and great selection of models. Looking forward to see more (hint!) :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Final two models finished to complete the warband.

First up one of the classic Mordheim Vampire models. Wanted him to be a bit brighter than the normal mostly black vampire paint scheme. Painted him in the style of a fallen lord.

Next an old GW Doom Wolf.

And a shot of them together.

They all need a varnish and might add a few leaves to their bases afterwards. Apart from that they're all done and I'm more than happy with them as a group.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »
OUTSTANDING Your Graveyard terrain & the inhabitants look WONDERFUL...BEAUTIFULLY painted & based. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »
A few more fantasy bits completed this week.

First up 30 skeleton spearmen. These were painted a while ago but I finally got around to painting and attaching their shields. Shields are metal, I picked them up from Wargames Foundry earlier this year. They are part of my slow-burner 3rd edition WFB undead army. I've been collecting and painting it for a few years now. I did post some picks in a previous post but Photobucket saw to it so that the images are no longer available!

I have also been ploughing through a box of the Garden of Morr terrain by GW for my graveyard. First few pieces finished. It's a lovely terrain set, very versatile with the ability to position the wall sections as you want.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
This looks great, I really like your painting - lovely to see that Ral Partha thug too, I really like that mini.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 12:30:24 PM »
Fantastic work.  A small insignificant observation, I think your skeletons would benefit from being based in the same style and colour scheme as your gravestones.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 01:12:13 PM »
Fantastic work.  A small insignificant observation, I think your skeletons would benefit from being based in the same style and colour scheme as your gravestones.

I think you're probably right Sterling Moose. The whole army is based with the home made flock you can see. The stuff likes to fall off all over the place and is  bit bright. I have considered rebasing the whole army but am put off by the scale of the task, over 200 bases at last count.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 04:19:32 AM »
If you want something that goes well with the garden terrain wise, Reaper's Obsidian Crypt is a rather nice kit that blends in quite well in how it looks.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
The zombies look brilliant.

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 03:46:10 PM »
The zombies look brilliant.

Thank you. They really are beautifully sculpted miniatures. I hope my paining has done them justice.