Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:48:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re-sculpting the Company B train in Zbrush Z8  (Read 6384 times)

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
Re: Re-sculpting the Company B train in Zbrush Z8
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 06:12:46 PM »
I have your old train set and I re-gauged it to HO scale, since I was using the Fleischmann pre-ballasted sectional track.

I would definitely like to get the HO scaled truck components (and any other parts) from Shapeways, please do post them there when ready. I will definitely purchase the new locomotive, and likely the other re-worked components as well.

Here is a photo of the Fleischmann pre-ballasted HO track: https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/item_pics/Fleischmann/900_FL-6116.jpg

There is a complete variety of track types in the Fleischmann line, various radii curves, turnouts (switches) etc.

I personally like the HO scale track even with 28mm figures. The track seems more in scale to me with the rest of the battlefield. Just my .02, YMMV.

Cary

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 03:12:59 AM »
I like S gauge a lot because it's wide enough for a figure on a small-to-medium base to stand between the tracks, just as a person might anywhere! Figures are wider than HO track and that just looks so wrong to me! Also the scale of the railroad ties seems to look much better at S. And of course the trains themselves are about as close to 1:56th as you can get among "common" scales.

But the thing is, wargaming is diverse and there are so many different sources of track and different preferences. Some might go S, OO, HO, even O, and others might even have plastic track from holiday sets or MDF kits or whatever have you. Separately mounded wheels with variable spacers allows the same model to work for (and be sold to!) as many different gamers as possible! Which makes the whole venture much more feasible from a business point of view.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:16:50 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 06:16:52 AM »
I like S gauge a lot because it's wide enough for a figure on a small-to-medium base to stand between the tracks, just as a person might anywhere! Figures are wider than HO track and that just looks so wrong to me! Also the scale of the railroad ties seems to look much better at S. And of course the trains themselves are about as close to 1:56th as you can get among "common" scales.

From a modelers point of view I'd prefer S gauge too, but I can hardly get that sort of track in continental Europe. I bet the H0 Fleischmann track mentioned by Cary is not the cheapest choice for an American though!
Therefore I went with 0n30 which is 1/45 scale narrow gauge on H0 gauge tracks. I have converted the ties/sleepers however...

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
Re: Re-sculpting the Company B train in Zbrush Z8 - now the 030
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 07:03:05 AM »
More fiddling.  I converted the model into something resembling a French built 030 :)

More fiddling with the Chicago Style Engine:

And now the two engines side by side.

I'm going to start a third Engine as well..why not.  Maybe we'll just release all three, have a boring contest, or do a pre-order on all of them.  Please stop me before I do a fourth though...we do need passenger and box cars.

And yes variable width trucks/wheels, I'll incorporate that.

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 07:42:19 AM »
From a modelers point of view I'd prefer S gauge too, but I can hardly get that sort of track in continental Europe. I bet the H0 Fleischmann track mentioned by Cary is not the cheapest choice for an American though!
Therefore I went with 0n30 which is 1/45 scale narrow gauge on H0 gauge tracks. I have converted the ties/sleepers however...

A fantastic gaming board.

Tony

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »
More fiddling.  I converted the model into something resembling a French built 030 :)

Good start! However you wouldn't necessarily have to change the cylinders. Consider that European standard gauge engines have buffers instead of central couplings! I'd change the side panels of the cab (still looking rather Baldwin/American to me).
With a somewhat generic cab like that you could make it a convincing generic early European engine:

Leave the rear wall optional/separate and add a short tender for variation

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 08:57:50 AM »
Good start! However you wouldn't necessarily have to change the cylinders. Consider that European standard gauge engines have buffers instead of central couplings! I'd change the side panels of the cab (still looking rather Baldwin/American to me).
With a somewhat generic cab like that you could make it a convincing generic early European engine:

Leave the rear wall optional/separate and add a short tender for variation
That green 0-6-0 looks a bit like the first four locomotives on the Malta Railway (1883-1931) with all the potential of this single line running from Valletta to Mtarfa barracks (almost - it stopped some metres short)  featuring in what if scenarios: revolt against the British (extrapolating the 1919 trouble); VBCW Malta edition; and extending its life by a decade to WWII and giving it a role in an Italian invasion.

From Wikipedia:

Now I'm starting to drool... :D

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »
Another idea is to also offer wheel/truck sets separately for those who want to scratchbuild their own specialized carriages (or engines, if the wheel parts incorporate the front pistons).

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 04:26:50 AM »
More refinements on Engine Number 2

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 04:35:07 AM »
Oh fuck that looks aces! Very nearly the platonic ideal of a middleweight, late 19th/early 20th century European engine.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 05:24:15 AM »
I like what I am seeing. I have a strong feeling that one or more of these is going to be winging their way to Guam in the near future.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 06:38:36 AM »
Oh fuck that looks aces! Very nearly the platonic ideal of a middleweight, late 19th/early 20th century European engine.

Exactly what I think too - you nailed it!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 06:58:03 AM »
It does fit more than one bill I think  8) 8) 8)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2017, 07:08:04 AM »
Now it looks very similar to my Victorian conversions...  :D