Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Monsters Creatures sculpts Greens  (Read 20806 times)

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
Re: Monsters Creatures sculpts Greens
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2019, 04:06:53 AM »
You could use polymer clay, it can be good to practice as it does not go hard unless you bake it...

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »
I use polymer clay for sculpting terrain items. I think it is fine for that but feels fiddly for sculpting miniatures.

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2019, 09:25:43 PM »
Which polymer clay's have you used so far? and yeah it is good terrain...

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2019, 01:15:57 PM »
Which polymer clay's have you used so far? and yeah it is good terrain...

Super Sculpey, mostly. I have some others but haven't played with them much. Oddly, I would like the sculpey to be firmer. I appreciate being able to manhandle a sculpture a bit without messing it up.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2019, 09:53:47 PM »
I started with greenstuff but have since moved onto ProCreate.

Greenstuff tends to be a softer material than ProCreate. Good if you're wanting to do large areas which can then be refined with another material, but I've found that the firmness of ProCreate allows for a better level of detail.

ProCreate also has a much faster drying time. Like 20 minutes till its mostly unusable - barring when you press firmly on it - then an hour before its totally solid. Which just means you work on a small area at a time, and that's fine as you wind up spending that long on one area anyway just to get it right.

I tend to find that ProCreate can be a bit sticky when dealing with very small amounts. Specifically if I'm sculpting something tiny on a model you can wind up pulling it from the model as it sticks more to your tool than the figure. Which is why most of the time I keep my tools wet. However more so than greenstuff I've also found that if you make the material too wet the whole section of clay can lift off.

Of the materials ProCreate seems the superior if you're wanting to achieve detail with less work due to its firmness, and the drying time is fantastic if you're like me and work on smaller sections at a time - where you have to build one layer on another. I haven't tried brown stuff or clays which you heat in the over, as that seems like more involvement to me. I'd rather work on one figure till I've done all I can, then work on another figure as that one dries, and repeat (I usually have 1-3 figures on the go at one time). Which also means you aren't tied to sculpting in your house (...hiking out to the middle of nowhere and sitting down for a few hours is my usual space...).

Ah, just my two cents. Oh, and I only use milliput for filling in large areas then working on top of it at best. Its  not suitable at all for actual detail on 28mm figures. Far too soft/ brittle.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #125 on: August 14, 2019, 02:45:33 PM »
Thanks for that input. I'll look at ProCreate. With Green Stuff I pretty much work with wet tools as it is, so that isn't a biggie. I assume you just mix up smaller batches of the stuff when you work? As much as you can use in 20 minutes? I don't mind that dry time, seems like it would work better for most cases. Never tried Milliput. Haven't had much desire to.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #126 on: August 14, 2019, 09:06:45 PM »
With ProCreate yeah I'll just make up a bit at a time. In most cases too much to realistically use to be honest, so I wind up chucking away a load as well as I realise I don't have the time to work on more things before it  hardens. It stays soft for longer than half an hour, however you want to have most of the shape worked out by then and now that its beginning to harden just work the details more.

...Said work a lot there. :P

I find that in cases there can be cracks in ProCreate in larger areas. Not massive to damage anything, hardly noticeable. These can be filled easily enough with a bit of milliput or something like Liquid Greenstuff (or whatever cheaper non-Games Workshop product's out there). 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #127 on: August 14, 2019, 09:20:48 PM »
Here is a finished and painted 15mm sculpt. Might be a touch hard to see here, but I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out.

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2019, 07:26:05 AM »
I have tried most polymers and epoxies , like procreate, milliput, different types of milliput etc, and green stuff. For me Greenstuff is the best.

You really have to try them all out for yourself and see what works best for you.

I tried out putty's many many years ago and thought they were rubbish but years later when my sculpting improved i tried them again and they worked really well.

Here is something i did in Greenstuff a while back...

My goal has always been to get to the point of being able to sculpt the same detail in any putty, which boils down to having patience and really taking your time... Do not rush your sculpting.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 08:04:39 AM by Alan maguire »

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2019, 06:35:48 AM »
The detail could be a lot sharper on the previous sculpt but it just shows what can be done with Greenstuff...

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2019, 03:22:14 PM »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2019, 06:38:44 PM »
Good luck, Al!
 :)

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2019, 07:00:38 PM »
Thanks Paul !  :)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »
Well, my Kickstarter notifications have been blowing up over this campaign. It seems everyone that I follow is backing it lol

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #134 on: September 12, 2019, 10:22:35 PM »
CookAndrewB

That sounds ! :)