Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:11:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: NEW SAGA EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 18686 times)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
Re: Didn't See this Coming(Saga)
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »
+1  I'm happy with using what I already have, and don't feel like learning yet another set of new rules and add ons. What with FoW and Bolt Action as well I'm getting pretty hacked off with this fad of bringing out more versions of rules I already know and use perfectly adequately. Since I don't enter competitions it won't affect me though, I'll carry on with v.1.

While I would have preferred a revised edition of the original, the spread of the ruleset is something that could make an update useful.

Especially since it's currently a pain to get people to get the books and everything else. With this it will at least make that end of things easier.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
Re: NEW SAGA EDITION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2017, 09:59:23 AM »
Not quite back to square one I'd say, having an inexpensive rulebook with a single expansion for the relevant period you're playing isn't as costly to collect or impractical to play as for example needing the C&C book for the rules, A&A for a game set in that period and then the Irish book for wanting to play the Arthurian variant of that list. Whether an errata/FAQ is a bad thing is open to debate, some will complain that it adds more paperwork, but if it helps clarify and balance the game more, that's a small price to pay.

The main thing I'm worried about to be honest is the quality of translations. I was happy to be among the lucky ones to get A&A at its first release in Antwerp last year, but the number of obvious mistakes in the text put me off quite a bit (and similar, glaring mistakes were on previous battleboards as well). Certainly won't jump at the opportunity to get a copy from the first print run anymore.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2017, 12:56:56 AM »
That's just it though, isn't it?
I bet you, as much as you like, that before long there will be an update/errata sheet for the new version.
And you can also bet that there will be a similar update/errata sheet for each of the new 'universe' books.

Which will bring us back to square one.

I'm also not a competition player, so having the new rules and books is not important to me. I only play in a club and we're pretty much happy as is. I'm not closed to the idea of a new edition, so long as the cost is fair and I like the changes. So I'll wait and see.

A lot of it depends upon what model they go with from there.

I could see a shift to, largely, be revised versions with incorporated errata and updates, which is something that I liked with several RPGs that did it. You could get a new revised version which incorporates all of it directly into the book, or keep using the old ones with the extras printed out.

Add that they seem to be taking a few more steps into the mythical for things as possibilities, you would have a massive rework of the system here along with bringing things from the later books back into the earlier things if they fit.

Offline fantail

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »
I understand where they are coming from but the problem with this kind of release, for me at least is that you can't just buy the rule book and play the game, you need to buy a SAGA Universe Hardback as well. I also am assuming that the battle boards come with the Universe books included.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2017, 03:50:00 PM »
I also am assuming that the battle boards come with the Universe books included.
I think that is how it will have to be done. Wouldn't it be nice if you could buy them as PDF's and print them off at home.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
Hopefully We will probably find out a bit more this weekend at the uk Grand melee

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »
There’s a report from Crisis on The 2nd Edition over on the skirmish wargaming blog

http://skirmishwargaming.com/saga-second-edition-changes/

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 11:14:25 AM »
Cheers for posting the link.

Interesting stuff.

Some changes are more eyebrow-raising than others, but I can't say I'm massively opposed to any.
If the price will be as predicted then I would buy it.

Your welcome

I know what you mean, I think some of the changes are just clarifying how the game was always intended to be played ( straight line movement, stoping the 1 figure hiding to keep the saga die) I’m not sure about the Warlord though, but I will throw £10 (Andy at Gripping beast also said that the new rules would be £10 at the Grand Melee) at it to see how they are.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 11:43:04 AM »
Yes, a very useful link to a good summary.

A lot of the changes do seem like tidying up. Having to keep units above half-strength to generate a saga dice is good - now you have to make a decision to use them in melee, where they will still be useful or hide them while they still have a number of figures.

Straight line movement sounds OK, might get interesting around terrain.

The warlord changes are significant, and may change how things play.

it will be interesting to see how the battle boards have changed. They always seemed to have a mix of abilities and the power levels between factions didn't always seem balanced.

Offline WimVdB

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2017, 11:50:20 AM »
There’s a report from Crisis on The 2nd Edition over on the skirmish wargaming blog

http://skirmishwargaming.com/saga-second-edition-changes/

OK, I'm in!

I have played several games with first ed., but there were a few things which didn't feel right in my opinion. That seem to be cleared out with the second edition.
And for that price...
A good reason to paint up a few more miniatures in the near future.

Looking forward to it!
The unending Battle against the Lead Mountain can be followed at
http://miniwargamers.blogspot.be/

Online Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »
I admit that I am not convinced by what I read there. I liked it the old way.

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
Those changes iron out some of the things I disliked about the game - one guy skulking in a wood but still generating a Saga dice was my biggest complaint. The thing about foot units more than L away getting a free move to get them in the action, if true, will be another welcome change. Hopefully levy troops will not be too overpowered now. All in all, from the little knowledge we have, these seem like well thought out changes.

Really looking forward to these revisions, seems like my favourite game system is gonna be even more favouriter (that should definitely be a word).

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 01:39:28 PM »
I suppose these are the kind of changed that were to be expected (keeping the game similar, but changing particular tactics and interactions of abilities). So far I'm.. not sure?

Streamlining elements by having all non-shooting Levy get 1 attack per 2 figures or having javelins as a fixed -1 armour (heard elsewhere) seems good, practical.

Changing the requirements for saga dice generation, with minimum strength units and even dice for levy I like - tactically, pulling depleted units back to still generate dice and trying to hunt down such enemy units felt fine in gameplay, which will now simply switch to aiming to reduce larger units while being able to throw in small ones that no longer generate dice anyway, which is probably a more interesting mechanic.

On the other hand, having to move in straight lines and losing the ability of warlords to charge in with a friendly unit seem like unnecessary simplifications in what never was an overly complicated game, the latter especially mainly to help with unintended interactions related to multiple combats etc. The ability to use unlimited amounts of Fatigue removes an important balancing mechanism, while the idea of getting free moves when far from enemies rewards poor placement of units, especially strange since units can (and I imagine will continue to) be activated several times to move more than once anyway.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
On the other hand, having to move in straight lines and losing the ability of warlords to charge in with a friendly unit seem like unnecessary simplifications in what never was an overly complicated game, the latter especially mainly to help with unintended interactions related to multiple combats etc. The ability to use unlimited amounts of Fatigue removes an important balancing mechanism, while the idea of getting free moves when far from enemies rewards poor placement of units, especially strange since units can (and I imagine will continue to) be activated several times to move more than once anyway.
I don't really oppose any of the changes but I agree with these sentiments. It looks like the changes make it impossible for a Warlord to pawn hits off on Hearthguard in melee unless you have a unit placed very close by, watching the battle (unless one of the rule changes allows multiple units in combat).

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2017, 10:14:04 PM »
I think I'll wait until the rules are released and can play a couple of games in a shop. Then I will decide if I go for the new game, of continue to use the old first edition with changes. I did dislike so much the 1-man Saga dice generator that I used a house rule similar to what is being implemented. Also found odd the combo Warlord-Hearthguard, but I rationalized it as representing the professional warriors being the actual battle winners, while the rest were just warm bodies.