Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:06:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686585
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A(nother) Song of Ice and Perry, and quite some Fire too  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
A(nother) Song of Ice and Perry, and quite some Fire too
« on: September 18, 2017, 03:50:32 PM »
Perhaps I'm a bit late to the party, but if the Red Wedding has taught me anything, it's that getting late to a party in Westeros may well be the safer option!

So, what am I going to do here? Well, using some Perry Miniatures (and others) to create figures for A Song of Ice and Fire, if you'd believe it. Most minis will be from the Agincourt range, as I feel these are just perfect for the type of soldiers portrayed in the books: chainmail, some solid breastplates, yet still shields as well (the main exception being of course that I'll use heater shields and the likes, as we all know that's the only thing that looks right on a proper knight in shining armour!).

Unlike other projects I have seen so far, I'll be focussing on just a small group of figures (I'm a slow painter and modeller!), starting with the enigmatic group known as the Brotherhood without Banners - later to be followed by some Lannisters and Freys for them to do battle with. With a fairly small number of bits to work with, I'll start with the main characters to have the full range of options available, later using the remaining parts to assemble those for whom less of a detailed description is available. Although I was on the brink of re-reading the books to find all relevant aesthetics for the different characters, a substantial amount of time was saved by finding the fantastic website https://asearchoficeandfire.com/ - type in a name/title/nickname and you'll quickly find any lines related to that person. By now, I've collated a full list of all known members of the company and their descriptions: ready to start the project properly!

First up: Edric Dayne, Anguy and Tom of Sevenstreams. Beric and Thoros are currently being worked on (I did promise fire!), although the former especially will need a few layers of sculpting on the cloak before he'll be done.

Edric Dayne, squire to Beric and Lord of Starfall

Aged 12, Edric was too old to use a typical child figure as the basis, but too young to be represented by a full-grown adult. I ended up simply cutting away parts of the arms and legs to make him a tad shorter - perhaps not as much as I should have, looking back, but at least the proportions are all still fine in his current form. Even as a young Lord belonging to an ancient family, I assumed a boy this age would not have tailor-made armour (he'd have grown out of it before it was even finished), so I ended up choosing a one-size-fits-all gambeson, some more flexible greaves, chainmail and a helmet that's currently a size or two too big (was glad when I spotted that head, with the face sunken fairly far in the helm). A slender sword seemed practical, and a large shield to hopefully make him appear smaller, in a protective pose.

Anguy, a.k.a. Archer

Immediately the need for a non-Agincourt body, as Anguy is described as wearing brigandine (this one is from the later Medieval sets). Relatively straightforward beyond that, sculpting on a quiver and boots. His head (slightly cocky, which I thought fitted well) is from Victrix peltasts; a good source of reasonably scaled bare heads (more of these will be making appearances in future updates - and indeed immediately below).

Tom of Sevenstreams, a.k.a. Tom Sevenstrings, a.k.a. Tom o' Sevens

I assume the most RPG figure in the band: a bard character with a woodsman's axe, dagger and brace of throwing daggers? Sure, why not. I so nearly build him holding the big axe with a simple harp slung across his back, but then spotted a set of arms reloading a crossbow, and somehow thought these would look great at a different angle holding and playing the harp. Thus started a stupidly time consuming method of creating a fully 3D harp (sculpting one on his back would have been a lot easier), but I'm glad I did it, as the end result is better than the axe-wielding variant would ever have been. Head is again from Victrix peltasts; throwing daggers are little pugio-esque knives from Wargames Factory Numidians. Some bits of green stuff created leather patches on his worn outfit.

"Do you swear before the eyes of gods and men to defend those who cannot defend themselves, to protect all women and children, to obey your captains, your liege lord, and your king, to fight bravely when needed and do such other tasks as are laid upon you, however hard or humble or dangerous they may be?"
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: A(nother) Song of Ice and Perry, and quite some Fire too
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:22:10 PM »
Such a cool project to start with, and great realization of the characters!

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
Really like your green stuff work, especially that harp!  :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 06:10:41 PM »
Very nice creations  8)

When I get back online, I'll add this thread to the LAF GoT compendium.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »
really nice. that harp is great!
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 08:02:32 PM »
A great project, and great work on the figures.

Offline Wellington Bonaparte

• Scientist
  • Strike Sure
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:34:44 PM »
Fantastic work especially the Tom 'O Sevens mini, really classy work on the harp and modelling the arms for it!  :)
Stand Fast - Strike Sure -  Carry On - Bydand

Offline Darathar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:29:52 PM »
Seven Hells! What a great start for a project I really like Tom Sevenstrings that's an amazing looking mini!
Can't wait to see more from you.   8)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:08:30 AM »
Lovely work.  Keep us posted!

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:32:12 AM »
very good start indeed
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 06:46:15 AM »
Lovely. I really like the strings.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:46:37 AM by Hammers »

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 07:40:10 AM »
Some really imaginative kitbashing and sculpting there... really looking forward to seeing how these develop! :-* :-*
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 07:41:11 PM »
Added this project to the LAF GoT compendium index...  :)

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »
Thanks for the kinds words all!

Don't think any future builds will top Tom to be honest. Rather happy with the two below, but it's only going to go downhill from here, with increasingly less interesting characters.  lol

Added this project to the LAF GoT compendium index...  :)
Honoured to be in such illustrious company!

Well, I promised fire, so here goes:

Beric Dondarrion, the Lightling Lord, Head of House Dondarrion and Lord of Blackhaven

As probably the only person in the group in full armour, I reckoned a simple build from the plastic bits would make him stand out sufficiently already. If not, there's always that flaming sword as well of course. I chose another plastic Victrix peltast head for him; perhaps not quite as ghoulish as his sunken in countenance should be (painting with high contrasts may help here), but it helps show that he was handsome once. Then, of course, I went to town on him, drilling through the breastplate and adding extra scratches around the hole, drilling in the side of his head to have it appear caved-in, and carving away his eye (which felt a bit odd to do). Both the flaming sword and threadbare cloak were interesting experiments, the latter especially turning out quite a bit better than expected beforehand (or even during the process of making it).

Thoros of Myr, the Red Priest

Before the plastic sprues arrived, I had already picked one of the bodies out to use as a basis for Thoros. It had quite some armour and loose cloth over it, which I'd 'only' have to lengthen quite a bit. Then I remembered having a rather nice armed priest figure from Heresy Miniatures, which was full of character and sculpted in a fine scale similar to the Perry minis. So, I then ended up adding armour to that figure instead, mismatched arms with more equipment worn invisibly beneath his robes I imagine. More flames added to a sword, and a shaggy head of hair too, after a long time living as an outlaw. Suitably grim but determined.

"Justice." Thoros smiled wanly. "I remember justice. It had a pleasant taste. Justice was what we were about when Beric led us, or so we told ourselves. We were king's men, knights, and heroes . . . but some knights are dark and full of terror, my lady. War makes monsters of us all."

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 12:58:44 PM »
The swords are stunning indeed . nice sculpted flames!