Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:51:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690586
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help Finding a Figure for a Conversion  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Help Finding a Figure for a Conversion
« on: September 19, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
I've always been rather taken with Maiwa from "The War of the Little Hand." I think she's my favourite of Rider Haggard's African heroines. Maybe not as beautiful as the scheming Lady Macbeth/Helen of Troy that is Mameema, or the damsel-in-distress/McGuffin Nada the Lily, but certainly much, much more of a bad-ass, personally leading her troops into battle rather than sitting back while all of Zululand fight over her like the other two do.

I'm particularly fond of this image of her encouraging her men into action, and really would like to make a figure depicting this...

So I was wondering if anybody knew of a figure that might make a good starting point for a conversion. The head doesn't matter (heads can be changed), it's more about the pose and the robe (I suppose I could greenstuff a robe, but I'm not all that handy with the old purest green, and have never really done robes).

A close-up detail shot to give you a better idea. To me it really does look like a figure pose that ought to already exist...

Anyway, thanks in advance. I've had a bit of a look around the web but come up with not much at all. Other folks may have come across something handy.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Help Finding a Figure for a Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 09:59:33 AM »
I cannot link to a specific figure but I think an ebay search for 'sorceress' should provide some possible options for a base model....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2487218.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC0.A0.H0.Xsorceress.TRS0&_nkw=sorceress&_sacat=16486

Or maybe Greek or Roman civilians for the robes....

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/ancient-civilians

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »
The bare breasted woman from Foundry's French Revolution Mob?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 10:42:04 AM »
Those Foundry Ancients were my first port of call, to no avail unfortunately. Some surprising possibilities among the sorceresses there, though. I would not have thought of looking in that quarter. Thanks!

The bare breasted woman from Foundry's French Revolution Mob?

You know, that's not a half-bad idea. It's about the closest thing I've seen. I do already have that figure, but I went and painted her. Shall have to get another, I guess.  :)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
Maybe Google 28mm Witch miniature? I sure I have seen something in a similar pose really recently, but I'm afraid I don't know where...

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »
This is a cool picture.

I can't think of any good conversion fodder for her. I'm personally not convinced the Foundry Marianne would work well, as she's rather plump and squat even for Foundry standards, whereas the illustration depicts a lean and athletic lady.

She shouldn't be too difficult to sculpt and the pose is convenient for being cast in one piece. I might have a go at sculpting her and if there were some interest in the sculpt, I could consider having a small series cast in resin. I don't wish to make any money out of this but would expect anyone who may wish a copy to send £5-10 to a charity of their choice.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
You could potentially use one of the Perry Mahdi figures...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 08:04:58 PM »
Duke Donald, I would happily contribute to your expenses, or as you say make a charitable donation, if you feel like giving it a try.

Eric the Shed, I think that could work, if one was to add some, er, curves to them. I have that set gathering dust, maybe I'll have a play around with them. I have performed some peculiar surgeries on figures before, but I don't think I've ever done a sex-change.  :)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
Let's discuss the boring financial details if and when the project materialises. However, as I wrote earlier, I'm not interested in making any money out of this, but would value a contribution to a Charity.

I'm travelling for work this week and probably won't find any time for sculpting before the end of the month. That said, I'll put it at the top of my hobby time to-do list.

The minis I sculpt for myself are quite far on "the heroic scale creep side continuum" of 28mm and I settled on 1/50 with near-realistic proportions. I've posted a few of my sculpts on LAF over the years but the only ones which postdate the Photobucket disaster can be found on this thread: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102930.0 . Incidentally, the thread includes some sex change conversions, ... on Grey Aliens!

Obviously, I appreciate that the mini should fit your collection size- and style-wise. I don't own any colonial gaming miniature so I would need a reference picture. Thus, could you please post a picture of a Copplestone Zulu (or any other mini you would consider as a good reference) with a ruler next to it.