Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690644
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Classic Movie Miniatures in 28mm  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
[Kickstarter] Classic Movie Miniatures in 28mm
« on: September 21, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »
Sally 4th launches Classic Movies range of 28mm Miniatures on Kickstarter. 1st three packs sculpted and ready to go, help us choose which movies to bring to the gaming table next.

We have the first three packs sculpted, cast and ready to go, thanks to the talented hands of Mark Fuller.
However, we are hoping to expand the range, so for each £1000 pledged on Kickstarter, we will get another pack of 4 miniatures based on a different classic movie, voted for by our backers added to the range.

Full details and lots more photos @ https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179272384/28mm-classic-movies-pulp-miniatures-range
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
Re: [Kickstarter] Classic Movie Miniatures in 28mm
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »

GREAT idea, but IMHO the face sculpts must be redone in order to bear some resemblance to the movie characters!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »
This might be a bit more helpful  I think its the varnish.

Offline Bartman

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »
I'm in on this. Love Casablanca and a bunch of the other movies you have there.

Good Luck!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
This might be a bit more helpful  I think its the varnish.

I still think the "Bergman" and "Bogart" minis need a serious remake!  :)

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »
I agree with Dinohunterpoa the noses on all the characters are the same it does not really matter all that much for most of them.  But Bogart and Bergman need noses that at least make them look closer to the photo he provided.  The nose on Bergman make her look almost like one of the Miss Marples'.

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 06:29:49 PM »
I have to agree with the previous posters about the facial features, but as they say in Life of Brian: ...might be a bit about 'Blessed are the big noses.'
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 07:23:05 PM »
I rather like the Gerald Scarfness of them.

TBH though, the PJs aren't doing them any favours.

Don't/won't do kickstarters but will pick them up post campaign.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 07:33:38 PM »
It's always going to be subjective. When your sculpting characters. It's always going to be a marmite moment,when someone else looks at the figure.
I'm not going to defend them only qualify the pictures.
They most definitely do not have the same noses.I don't know why the do in Chris's pictures but I agree they do look like I've only made one head in that picture.
The Bergman figure is the weakest sculpt because she's a pain in the arse to sculpt one angle she's very pretty,another angle she's all nostrils. Take a look at period posters There are several that make her look like a man. My picture isn't helpful either as the figure is leaning back so its a crap angle to look up from under the jaw line.
As for the Bogart.
The nose and eyes are right . The inital sculpt was done without a hat or the hand with a cigarette. The hat removes the instantly recognisable forehead and the hand does exactly the same to the mouth and changes the jaw line.
(if you cover Bogarts mouth in Dinohunterspoa's photo you'll get some idea.)
What I will say is everyone sees them differently. This is how Chris envisaged them.
One of his stretch goals is a more classic interpretation of both characters. (But these
Are for Chris ,)The versions here are intended as more generic use figures.  
To give you all the film before a stretch goal isn't that fiscally smart .
But I have to agree the noses look odd painted.
I've asked Chris to send me some so I can paint them and remove the Barry Manilow.Bodysnatchers from the Souk .

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 10:39:46 PM »
I can paint them and remove the Barry Manilow.Bodysnatchers from the Souk .

lol lol lol

Having painted several, I know real-world likenesses can be quite tough to do in miniature, and that sculpting only gets you so far - the paintwork is simply crucial a component at this sort of scale.

However, the better the sculpted likeness, the easier it is for the painter! I would definitely agree that the "Rick" in Artizan's line is currently a better likeness of Bogey, but Tin Shed has also made the very salient point that most of what would be easily identifiable about him has been covered up in the sculpt as it is. I've learned from doing conversions, that if I want a figure smoking, the hand should be away from the face (the ciggy can be either held in the hand or dangle from the mouth, as you please).

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:42:25 PM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 12:24:29 AM »

Warlord's "Not-Agent Carter" is 1000% better as Ingrid Bergman IMHO:

See the nose and the jawline:

;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
In the spirit of the forum,
I'll answer post however I've no intention of being drawn into qualifying anything.
I've already stated that its a weak figure( simply because of the change in jaw line because of the open mouth,and the tilt of the head. Which in turn throws the symmetry of the hat off making the face push forward.)
But more importantly you've totally ignored the fact these are not being sold as Bogart and Burgman. They are generics, very loosely nodding at the characters. The Casablanca version are a reserved for later.(so these gap fill if the goal isn't reached , but don't negate themselves if the goal is reached)
Chris has used the Artisans  Rick in the Ricks Place picture's. So no need to advertise it with a stretch goal product.

At the moment I can't honestly tell if I've screwed the Pooch, or its the photography,the moulding,or the fact its the first casting from the mould.

More importantly Chris doesn't even market them as the leads.He clearly states That the backers will choose the films and the characters.So when they ask for a specific Rick figure there will be a specific Rick figure.
Which form a sculpting point of view is as hairy as hell.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »
I don't really care that much about likenesses with these I just like the look of the figures. They're very Pulpy and generic is good.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 11:45:10 AM »
I'm very pleased with the work that Mark has done on these, maybe 'The Lady' can be improved; we're getting the greens back and Mark's going to take a look at this. Mark's also going to paint a set of miniatures, so looking forward to that as well. I'm afraid I'm so busy that block paint and quick tone is the best I can manage these days!

We made a deliberate decision not to make 'The American' in a dinner jacket, as Artizan has one that is very nice. I feel that Mark has captured the essence of the character in this sculpt and that he will be a useful addition to most pulp gamers collections. The idea behind the Kick starter is that we have a few packs of miniatures that we have made up that are 'inspired by the movies'. For each £1000 pledged, Mark will sculpt a new pack, suggested by and voted for by the campaigns backers. At the moment the suggestions for the next pack are 'The African Queen', 'The Big Sleep' and 'The 39 Steps'. Quiet happy to do some different miniatures based on 'Casablanca' if it gets suggested and wins the vote.

Here's a couple more shots of 'The American' from different angles. Apologies to all for the inadequate paint job.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 04:59:15 PM »
I like the sculpts, although Elsa's face is a little tilted.  I think variety is probably a good idea here.  There are tons examples of all these miniatures in other ranges, but not in a complete pack.  I love the Blue Parrot!