Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:05:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690586
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Kickstarter] Classic Movie Miniatures in 28mm  (Read 2410 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: [Kickstarter] Classic Movie Miniatures in 28mm
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »
I think what's going on here is a bit of simple crossed wires in marketing. These are supposed to be "generics", but the presented figures are all clearly related to Casablanca characters, so the expectation isn't that there will be a "better nicer" Casablanca set later (a "small print" point which is easy to miss); it's that THIS IS the Casablanca set. Even if the casual viewer does catch that fact, it still looks like you're opening with worse figures and a stretch goal is to have nicer ones, which is rather confusing even though I understand that's not your intention at all.

On top of that, it's a bit odd to open with a "generic" set when the theme of the entire Kickstarter is "classic movie miniatures" and not "generic pulp miniatures".

Perhaps it would have been better to start with a mixed group of generics, OR a single, fully-accurate set of film characters.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 07:43:19 PM »
I think what's going on here is a bit of simple crossed wires in marketing. These are supposed to be "generics", but the presented figures are all clearly related to Casablanca characters, so the expectation isn't that there will be a "better nicer" Casablanca set later (a "small print" point which is easy to miss); it's that THIS IS the Casablanca set. Even if the casual viewer does catch that fact, it still looks like you're opening with worse figures and a stretch goal is to have nicer ones, which is rather confusing even though I understand that's not your intention at all.

On top of that, it's a bit odd to open with a "generic" set when the theme of the entire Kickstarter is "classic movie miniatures" and not "generic pulp miniatures".

Perhaps it would have been better to start with a mixed group of generics, OR a single, fully-accurate set of film characters.

EXACTLY! Well said!  :)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 10:27:58 PM »
Matt.
Your not far the mark.
Chris has jumped the gun ,he normally does mdf. Moving into miniatures is tricky business. He's made some Amateurs errors .Against advice he's tried to run before he can walk.Unfortunately for Chris he's done these very publicly.

Which is simply checking with the sculptor that the sculpts have translated from clay to moulding to casting to painting before public viewing. Chris has made the mistake of being over enthusiastic,and skipped A and gone straight to C.
This thread is the first I've seen of the sculpts since I handed them to Chris at the first Partizan show this year.
As I've mentioned he's used the first castings not something I'd recommend without mould and master checks as he's not casting in house.

Again your right there is more than a nod to Casablanca about the majority of figures.
Because they are meant to be generic denizens with subtle nods mixed in with souk denizens packs.Per the original brief.The Rick and Elsa were as mentioned for Chris who wanted to game the airport scene. As i mentioned the original is bare head and devoid of hand.
Chris has mentioned that he'd painted these for his own use.
Because he's chosen to show these figures on mass and not in packs as originally intended  They're context has changed.
As people know with my own rages I hide characters is plain sight. Johnny Morris as a vet. Will Hay as a policeman, Boris Karloff ( Colonel March.) in the cold weather pack,Amy Johnson as the pilot.etc. That is the context that I intend for Chris's. Had this gone this way then we'd be having a different conversation,As people would be looking for them not at them all.
As I've mentioned I've not seen the figures i can't honestly comment on how the female figure has turned out . Until I know whether its me or the mould, or a bit of both.
All I will say is no figure I sculpt is sent out blindly. Unless I receive an okay it doesn't leave. It's that simple.
Normally you wouldn't see figures at first run off a master mould unless they'd been signed off on as fit for a production mould. You simply wouldn't know there was ever an issue.
Chris in his enthusiastic charge has approached this as an mdf project and forgotten what he'd been advised.
Unfortunately for Chris his choices are public and the corrections will also be public.
So to a degree your on the money   minor characters figures that we're designed as fun finds in generic  location themed packs.
While the lead characters(not just in the case of Casablanca)  are stand alone identifiable figures.
All this information has been lost in translation and Haste.
Now this a sound and fun Idea.
In principle it was very similar to the original offer I did with ww1 vehicles. Is so far as you invest intellectually the you get a say in what's produced next.
Only this version is a Kickstarter ( should have done WW1 as a kickstarter hay ho.)

I'll help put this project back on track.As it has merit which hasn't been articulated very well.
I've no personal investment in this project in fact its likely to cost me in the process of Guiding this back on track.
The idea is sound just requires a steep learning curve for Chris.

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 05:48:43 AM »
.... they are released as the three packs, as Mark suggested on Kick Starter. Backers can pledge for one pack, all packs and all packs plus terrain. It is a learning experience. Looking forward to moving forward and developing the range. Project was funded in first 24 hours, and backers will be voting over weekend for next movie for miniatures to 'be inspired by'.

Nominations so far are 'Notorious', '12 Chairs', 'The Big Sleep', 'African Queen' and 'The Maltese Falcon'.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179272384/28mm-classic-movies-pulp-miniatures-range

Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 02:31:29 PM »
Lots of cool looking figures! I'd definitely like to have some.

Congrats on reaching your goal. Good luck with the project!

HAVE FUN