Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Maiwa: ready to be sent to the caster  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: Maiwa sculpt done
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2017, 05:54:52 AM »
Absolutely fantastic! An amazing thread. I too can't wait to see the painted version!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2017, 06:46:12 AM »
I would really like to have one if your are going to do a run. Resin or metal, she will make a great leader for my Dahomey amazons. Looks ready to take a few French heads.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »
I'm not into things Zulu but it is an amazing sculpt and I would buy two for my friends Axel and Rudi.
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 03:21:44 PM »
I could also find a use for a copy if you get enough interest to make moulding worthwhile.

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2017, 03:46:17 PM »
Yep, I could find homes for at least 3 of them, maybe even 4.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »
Splendid little model there, very nicely done.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »
Thank you very much everyone for your kind comments. I feel very touched by your enthusiasm for the sculpt. There also seems to be enough demand to have it cast.

It will be a resin "master cast", the standard intermediate step before metal casting, which should ensure the highest casting quality. Such moulds have a limited life and it is difficult to predict how many copies can be made before the mould decays. I'll contact Rob Alderman from Hysterical miniatures (a fellow LAF-er) to ask for a quotation and advice on the cast.

I'll have to make a few minor modifications to the sculpt. I found a further few areas that need further cleaning up, such as the right biceps and the inner part of the right foot. I will also  slightly reduce the undercut on the swirly bit at the bottom of the dress and will probably make the bits coming out of the knot on her left shoulder a bit stronger. Then, I will need to redo the bracelets on her right arm. I tried a new type of wire which was a bit too stiff, and there's a space between the arm and the wire which would lead to a casting disaster. I don't expect any of these changes to be noticeable. I've also already ordered wire spears like these https://www.blackhat.co.uk/product/ns101-50mm-wire-spears/, and each mini will get one. Then there's the issue with the base. I assume most of you interested by this sculpt prefer solid over than slotta bases, but please shout if I were wrong.

Finally, some information about the boring financial details. As I stated earlier in a separate thread, I don't wish to make any money out of this. I'm lucky enough to have a day job that pays well and I don't want to get bogged down with the administrative tedium of running a small business on the side. Thus, I will cover all the casting costs, but will probably have to ask for shipping costs. I also feel it would be nice if everyone who wants the mini made a small contribution to a charity. I was thinking about one supporting in education in Africa such as this one: https://africaeducationaltrust.org .

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Re: Maiwa: musings about casting
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2017, 10:10:36 PM »
More than happy to pay for the postage and some charity money. In fact if/when  you cast them make that three for me. Pay¨Pal alright?
And yes definitely prefer a small base to a slotta- base!

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 04:12:17 AM »
I would like to buy two miniatures please  :D
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 12:24:21 AM »
Thanks again.

I've been in touch with Rob Alderman, and he would be willing to cast the mini in resin, and the quotation he sent me was absolutely reasonable. I subsequently also enquired about the possibility to do an initial series of resin master casts (~30) until the mould dies followed by a small series in pewter, but haven't heard back from him yet. I'll make the last modifications on the sculpt as soon as I find the time and will send him the master. I'll keep you posted on the thread about any progress.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
I'll keep you posted on the thread about any progress.

Good news. Appreciate it, sir.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »
Would also be interested in one for the collection if possible.
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2017, 03:36:40 AM »
I think it is your best work so far.
A.Nik-

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »
Thanks again everyone for the nice feedback.

I made the last changes and she's ready to be cast. I'll remove her spear and send her to the caster next week or the following. There will be one small series of master casts in resin (~30) and one series of metal casts of 100-200 copies. Each mini will come with a separate metal spear.

I have to admit I didn't anticipate the interest in the sculpt, and even less so that several of you would like to get multiple copies. My initial plan was to make a small series in resin and to cover all the the costs myself. As I'm now considering 100+ minis, I'll need to ask those of you who want a copy to cover for the costs. I don't wish to make any money out of this, but I'm also not keen on this venture costing me too much. I don't have a final quotation yet for the metal casting, but the costs will remain below £2 per mini.

It would be useful if all of you who wished a copy could PM me with the number of minis you'd like. This will allow me to decide whether I should have 100 or 200 metal copies made.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Maiwa: ready to be sent to the caster
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2017, 06:13:37 PM »
Great news!

Not sure how I feel about all these other buggers jumping on the bandwagon and getting my figure, mind. Kidding! Just kidding, honest!  lol It's great that there has been interest in this little idle daydream I had. Can't wait to see a few painted up (I bet I'm the last to post one, incurable slowcoach that I am).