Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:41:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689715
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Monster Manual project  (Read 34573 times)

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
Re: Monster Manual project
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2018, 04:53:26 PM »
Still enjoying your trip through the Monster Manual!  Some great, fun figures in this thread.

The owlbear is a Reaper Bones model, and frankly I think it's kind of an awkward pose, but I bashed it out over the weekend and overall I'm pretty happy with it.

I like the paint job, but I agree that's not a great sculpt.  The owl bear has always been something of a favorite of mine, so I just picked up the other two Reaper miniatures of this monster.  Metal, but both much nicer poses.  ;)
Mike

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:37 AM »
Still enjoying your trip through the Monster Manual!  Some great, fun figures in this thread.

I like the paint job, but I agree that's not a great sculpt.  The owl bear has always been something of a favorite of mine, so I just picked up the other two Reaper miniatures of this monster.  Metal, but both much nicer poses.  ;)

I'm trying not to be a perfectionist for this project -- well, I try not to be a perfectionist about anything -- because one of my principles for D&D monsters is that they're only going to come out on the table every so often and therefore you need to get a wide range of them done and not worry too much about any individual one. But sometimes these little things bug me.

Anyway, I failed to paint my mule in time for today's episode, so I dug this old HeroQuest mummy out of the case. I should do his base but I can never decide how I want to paint it.

You know we're getting our old-school gaming on because this episode of Monster Man talks about mules! Oh, and some kind of lumbering undead horror, but let's not bury the lede here.

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-42-mule-and-mummy

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:08:24 PM by James Holloway »

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
Today's episode focuses on the Naga and the Night Hag. I skip the Neo-Otyugh because I'll talk about it when we get to the Otyugh.

The naga is a Reaper Bones model, and has the usual trouble with mould lines, but I speed-painted it up and I think it looks pretty OK.

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-43-naga-to-night-hag
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:07:36 PM by James Holloway »

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
I just realised the images on these posts weren't working. Are they OK now?

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »
They are.
That snake skin is a achievement.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2018, 08:59:21 PM »
They are.
That snake skin is a achievement.

Thanks!

There's nothing to it, actually  -- the model is primed grey, then given a directional drybrush in light grey and then white to bring out the scales. The colours are just done with washes. It's a fast method, but it works really well on models with a lot of textured surfaces like this one.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
The Naga's scale came out wonderful.  Thanks for sharing how you went about it.  I have a Naga to paint and you have given me another method to consider.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
Thanks!

There's nothing to it, actually  -- the model is primed grey, then given a directional drybrush in light grey and then white to bring out the scales. The colours are just done with washes. It's a fast method, but it works really well on models with a lot of textured surfaces like this one.

This sounds similar to what Hobgoblin is also doing.  I have tried it with some ents and got a reasonable outcome, not as good as the two of you, however.
Do you use standard washes or make your own?

This is a great project, by the way.  It looks like the quality of the figures and painting keeps increasing. You should be very proud of what you have achieved.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2018, 02:07:30 PM »
This sounds similar to what Hobgoblin is also doing.  I have tried it with some ents and got a reasonable outcome, not as good as the two of you, however.
Do you use standard washes or make your own?

This is a great project, by the way.  It looks like the quality of the figures and painting keeps increasing. You should be very proud of what you have achieved.

Thanks! As far as washes go, it varies. Sometimes I just use GW or Army Painter washes, often in multiple layers. I do my basic shading with a mixture of brown and black washes, a trick I swiped from Ramshackle Curtis; it helps make the shadows look a little warmer. For areas of richer colour, I often take a paint of the appropriate colour and thin it with a matching wash so that I can get something that's very thin but still has a lot of colour to it. And then for some areas I just paint it in the usual way, especially areas of fiddly detail or where I want very bright colours.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2018, 02:09:06 PM »
He didn't get included in time for episode 42, but here he is, belatedly: the mule!

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2018, 08:15:23 PM »
Latest episode came out while the site was down, so here it is:

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-44-nightmare-to-nymph

The mysterious aquatic figure is another Reaper Bones model.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2018, 09:20:07 AM »
A new episode drops, and I have not one but two photos of ogres! Although arguably that second guy might be a giant.

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-45-ochre-jelly-to-ogre-mage

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #117 on: February 18, 2018, 05:44:51 AM »
Very entertaining thread!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2018, 09:21:55 AM »
Very entertaining thread!  :)

I'm glad you're enjoying it! Knowing there are people paying attention has really helped keep me honest.

Speaking of which, here's today's episode: orcs! and also the otter, giant.

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-46-orc-and-otter-giant

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
Friday means a new episode of Monster Man! This time we cover the otyugh and its smarter, more successful cousin the neo-otyugh, but the only monster in this episode I had a model for was the owl, comma, giant. Zoo gift shop to the rescue yet again.

http://monsterman.libsyn.com/episode-47-otyugh-to-owlbear